The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bachman on Horvat (NHL.com article)

Laheys Liquor

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

That right. And as a lawyer that he is, Gillis also tried to play to the rules' limits. Thanks to him, the Luongo Rule was implemented. He pissed of the entire league with his red, sweating arrogance. He got the boot.

With the rise of Horvat, you'd think that would be a big plus on Gillis' resume.   Maybe Gillis doesn't want to be NHL GM?  Don't know of any team that contacted him, I heard rumors of NYI but nothing ever came of it.    

17 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

With the rise of Horvat, you'd think that would be a big plus on Gillis' resume.   Maybe Gillis doesn't want to be NHL GM?  Don't know of any team that contacted him, I heard rumors of NYI but nothing ever came of it.    

Nobody wants a GM who will take up a game of golf on trade deadline. No one wants a GM who thinks he can skin other GMs in deals. GM, all 30 world positions, now 31, all want to deal with each other fairly.

The Ehrhoff deal is one type of deal. It's a salary dump. Trying to pull that on every deal however, GMs got the idea fast.

Under Gillis, NTCs were given like candy in order to have a competitive team. That's because he couldn't trade to save his life, or the team.

As good as Horvat is, Gillis got fleeced on that deal. Schneider for a 1st (9th overall) is a fleece.

Horvat happens to pan out under Desjardins. But so have Baertschi, Granlund, Stetcher, Hutton and Tryamkin.

Benning is honest, to the point, can draft, can trade, has been transitioning youth into the lineup, isn't afraid to ask players to waive their NTCs, responds to fans and media honestly and with respect.

Gillis was much better than Nonis. Benning is infinitely better than Gillis.

Archived