The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on Team 1040 March 9

AlwaysACanuckFan

3 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Good stuff on Jake, sounds like he's happy with the way thats been going so thats good news. Using his speed and going to the net. If he does that up here we'll have a good player. 

I have tried to watch a few of the Utica games and jake has been looking better as the year has progressed. He is showing those spurts that keep you think he could be special. He has looked strong the last two or three so we will see how he ends the year. He certainly needs to stay where he is and finish the season. Then the big thing will be what he does in the off season and how he shows up at camp.

16 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Thank you for this.  

People who expect the GM or President to come out and publicly criticise their coach are dreaming.  Of course they're going to give the 'political' answer every time, it's what you do in their position.  That's why people are ragging on 1040 and the other local media for asking these tired old questions.  

Fact is, Willie has disappointed this year.  The argument that he's getting the best out of his players just doesn't hold up.  Horvat is a bloody all star, can we stop attributing all of his success to Willie Desjardins and maybe some to the fact that from all accounts he is one of the hardest working players on the team!?  And he's carried this reputation since junior, so don't tell me it's all Willie.

It's not to say everything Willie has done is worthy of being fired, but the bad is starting to heavily outweigh the good.

Its fair to say that Horvat would have flourished under any NHL head coach..taking into account his maturity level and work ethic.

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Anything over $3M, and it's a mistake.

On a one year term, I'd be ok with $3.5-$4m. Two year and I'd do $3-$3.5m. If Jimbo can get him at or under $3m, I'd be impressed.

Just now, J.R. said:

On a one year term, I'd be ok with $3.5-$4m. Two year and I'd do $3-$3.5m. If Jimbo can get him at or under $3m, I'd be impressed.

Fair enough. He will probably have suitors as well, knocking on his door, but taking his age into account...

Just now, Honky Cat said:

Its fair to say that Horvat would have flourished under any NHL head coach..taking into account his maturity level and work ethic.

I agree, people don't claim McLellan is an amazing developer since McDavid is producing at over a ppg.  Some players are just going to succeed no matter what.  Bo was definitely one of those player, the kids work ethic and commitment is top notch.  WD does deserve some credit because he does work with him but Horvat's success has more to do with Bo than it has to do with the coach.

It's also fair to say that injuries played just as big of a role in Baertschi development than the coach.  Take out the key injuries last year and canucks focus remains on winning.  Once we started dropping key players we were able to focus on the youth. 

“If you look at a guy like Sven Baertschi, if our total focus is just on (winning) and he’s struggling, he probably doesn’t get to play and we lose him. We lose him. I truthfully think, in a strange sense, we had a good year for getting where we need to be. The ice time Tryamkin got at the end of the year, Horvat having to go against all the big guys, Baertschi getting to play, Hutton making the team, Jake (Virtanen) staying with the team, Markstrom getting to play down the stretch. There’s no part of me that thinks losing is good, but we got some things done that we needed to last year.

“This year, it’s a different story. Our road is way straighter, way straighter. Our vision now is in a line and all the players, all of us, are accountable to that vision. As much as people thought last year was a wasted year, there were a lot of good things that came out of that. Now we have put those good things in place this year.”

With the recovery from serious injuries of top defenceman Alex Edler and key centre Brandon Sutter, the additions of first-line winger Loui Eriksson and rugged, second-pairing blue-liner Erik Gudbranson, competition at the bottom of the lineup and that season of development for the Canucks’ young players, Desjardins said the team is equipped to take a straight shot back to the playoffs.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-desjardins-fixated-on-winning-not-wolves-hanging-by-canucks-door

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. He will probably have suitors as well, knocking on his door, but taking his age into account...

I don't know how in demand he'll actually be. At least as a (co-)starter.

He'll likely want to stay in the West/South-West for family reasons. So you're looking at ANA, LAK, SJS, ARZ, LVGK, COL...maybe DAL and us. He's a guaranteed backup on the first four teams and not likely making much above $2m in that scenario. Neither LVGK or COL (who already have Varly as well) are bound to be any better than us (and quite likely worse) but LVGK could likely afford to give him term and $ if they're interested in a solid veteran net minder and he doesn't mind losing a lot. DAL would have to pawn off one of their expensive backups to fit him in...

Heck, maybe we can get him for at/around $3m!! :lol:

21 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I have tried to watch a few of the Utica games and jake has been looking better as the year has progressed. He is showing those spurts that keep you think he could be special. He has looked strong the last two or three so we will see how he ends the year. He certainly needs to stay where he is and finish the season. Then the big thing will be what he does in the off season and how he shows up at camp.

I'd be fine with him coming up for say the last 3 or 4 games just to give him a boost for next season and a nod to hard work if he's been putting it in, and it sounds like he has been, and  if Utica is out of the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He'll likely want to stay in the West/South-West for family reasons. So you're looking at ANA, LAK, SJS, ARZ, LVGK, COL...maybe DAL and us. He's a guaranteed backup on the first four teams and not likely making much above $2m in that scenario. Neither LVGK or COL (who already have Varly as well) are bound to be any better than us (and quite likely worse) but LVGK could likely afford to give him term and $ if they're interested in a solid veteran net minder and he doesn't mind losing a lot. DAL would have to pawn off one of their expensive backups to fit him in...

Heck, maybe we can get him for at/around $3m!! :lol:

Keanu-Reeves-Wink.gif

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Heck, maybe we can get him for at/around $3m!!

What we don't know if staying west is more important to him than making an extra 2-3 million a year.  WPG, CGY, PHI, could be in the maket for new #1,  Heck teams like TB, PIT, STL and NYI might be willing to throw some money at him as short term 1B.

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What we don't know if staying west is more important to him than making an extra 2-3 million a year.  WPG, CGY, PHI, could be in the maket for new #1,  Heck teams like TB, PIT, STL and NYI might be willing to throw some money at him as short term 1B.

Absolutely.

Keanu-Reeves-Wink.gif

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Glad Benning answered the ridonkulous question this way. I expect them to have Willie back next year, and expect them to trade Megna in the offseason.

Another answer he's given ad nauseum to the hacks on this station. No wonder the Canucks are done with 1040. Thank Gord.

Great answer on this subject and hopefully the nail that shuts the coffin on this non-issue. Benning, Desjardins, Goldobin, and Larionov are fine with the situation, so why does anyone else still care?

Another attempt at stirring a pot that needs to be left cold. Good on Benning for giving a curt answer.

Great news from Benning. Exciting times ahead with Bo at the helm.

What else would he say? They're under contract for one more year. After that, hopefully, a year at a time, on minimal salary.

Boeser joining the team will be a great thing. Another huge piece of the youth movement.

Miller would be great to have as a bridge to the future, but not for $6M AAV.

if the canucks have cap room. .and they likely will given all the youth in the line up

i do not care that miller is paid 6 million

just keep him on a 1 or no more than 2 year deal

then we'll be fine with our goaltending

and i still think they should consider moving markstrom

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

if the canucks have cap room. .and they likely will given all the youth in the line up

I agree we should extend Miller.  But considering Markstrom's new contract, does he have any trade value?  

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

Horvat, Tryamkin, and Gudbranson all have possible contracts coming up. So maybe not as much as you think.

I do. Based on age, paying Miller that much is counterproductive. He can be had for less than $6M. Considerably less.

Goaltending has been the strongest area.

Why pray tell? Because he's had such a good string of consecutive games, and hasn't cut the mustard? Ideally, Miller would be resigned at $3-4M for a year in a back-up capacity, with Markstrom given the majority of the starts. If after being given a starter's workload, he falters, then the idea of trading him has merit.

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I have personally heard Boesers coach say they are fully expecting him to make the jump to pros this summer in a interview. Benning has been quoted saying he's going to get him signed This off-season. Craig Button has said he's NHL ready and will make the jump.  This whole FA walking thing is much less common then the player signing with his drafting team. Quit making mountains out of molehill. 

If Boeser had any illusions of hockey immortality I suspect he was cured this season. 2 injuries = reality check. He will go pro by fall.

35 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Horvat, Tryamkin, and Gudbranson all have possible contracts coming up. So maybe not as much as you think.

I do. Based on age, paying Miller that much is counterproductive. He can be had for less than $6M. Considerably less.

Goaltending has been the strongest area.

Why pray tell? Because he's had such a good string of consecutive games, and hasn't cut the mustard? Ideally, Miller would be resigned at $3-4M for a year in a back-up capacity, with Markstrom given the majority of the starts. If after being given a starter's workload, he falters, then the idea of trading him has merit.

markstrom has not proven he is a starter

he is overpaid as a back up

there is no doubt miller is a starter and a better goalie

markstrom is not a long term solution for this team

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Still not a slam dunk Boeser is joining us next season!! Is JB aggressively trying to sign him up soon? Did Boeser himself say he's looking forward to come to Vancouver? I'm not a pessimist but I've just seen way too many American college kids choosing to become free agent after 2 years of draft year....

you haven't seen a single college player choose to become a FA two years after being drafted

31 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If Boeser had any illusions of hockey immortality I suspect he was cured this season. 2 injuries = reality check. He will go pro by fall.

I agree and, unless he absolutely kills it in pre-season, will likely spend the year in Utica

Archived