The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tory Sen "The good indigenous residential schools have done"

hammertime

Some of the most ignorant out of touch bs I have ever read. Here is a taste. 

Conservative Senator Lynn Beyak mounted a defence of the residential school system for Aboriginal children in the Red Chamber Tuesday, lamenting that the "good deeds" accomplished by "well-intentioned" religious teachers have been overshadowed by negative reports documented by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

"I speak partly for the record, but mostly in memory of the kindly and well-intentioned men and women and their descendants — perhaps some of us here in this chamber — whose remarkable works, good deeds and historical tales in the residential schools go unacknowledged for the most part," she said.

The commission, which conducted an exhaustive six-year study of the system, found physical, mental and sexual abuse was rampant, and some 6,000 children died while in care because of malnourishment or disease.

Here is the link 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/residential-school-system-well-intentioned-conservative-senator-1.4015115

Who seriously appoints people this shockingly ignorant who have the audacity to step up on their soap box and spew garbage about subjects they couldn't possibly know less about. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Who seriously votes for people this shockingly ignorant who have the audacity to step up on their soap box and spew garbage about subjects they couldn't possibly know less about.

She's a senator, nobody voted for her.

They don't, or at least didn't get voted in.  They get "given" their seats.  IIRC she was a Harper appointee, she was an amazing fundraiser in the late 90's early 2000's

Her comments are so laughably pathetic it makes me cringe.

My father survived residential schools.  I recall him waking up screaming in fear when I was a kid, I know many elders who suffered horribly, many people from my band in Manitoba were taken and never seen again.  Some abused, some literally given away to the scoop program, and of the hundreds of thousands of kids stolen over time almost 7000 recorded deaths with tens of thousands of recorded attacks against first nations kids by those people "who only meant to do good"

I mean what about Hitler and his final plan?  He only had their best interests at heart.  What about all the good he did for the jews in Europe?  Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge.  They meant well I guess.

Why the British Empire in the 50's and the Mau Mau camps in Kenya.  Hundreds of thousands starved and beaten with over 100k recorded deaths.  But it was for the best because they meant well

This woman deserves to have her arse forcibly removed from her seat for these remarks.  They're disgusting and a slap in the face to the first nations members of this country.

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Sorry people voted for the a$$holes that appoint such idiots. It's pretty disgraceful. They couldn't be more out of touch if they were launched into outer space.

Totally agree.  It's just more proof that the system of appointing senators is totally screwed up.

As for her views, I think @Warhippy pretty much has it covered.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I believe that the story of Chanie Wenjack should be required reading in schools:

http://www.macleans.ca/society/the-lonely-death-of-chanie-wenjack/

It should, along with a lot of other history no one seems to ever hear about.

You hear a lot about privilege these days in social media, but so rarely do you see such a clear example of a person so disconnected that she thinks we need to see the "good" in the residential school system.

I suppose by that logic we could consider slave ships a rowing club.

residential schools were set up based entirely on racists notions

there is only that legacy of shame for our country to reconcile

to speak about good intentions within that legacy of shame is a bit trite

and a distraction from the real issues

edit: there were also good prison guards in the nazi concentration camps

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

It should, along with a lot of other history no one seems to ever hear about.

You hear a lot about privilege these days in social media, but so rarely do you see such a clear example of a person so disconnected that she thinks we need to see the "good" in the residential school system.

I suppose by that logic we could consider slave ships a rowing club.

Watch out Harvard and Yale!

3 minutes ago, Dral said:

Soooo..... what were the good things that came out of it?

OHHHHH found it:

Beyak also said Tuesday it is unfair to brand Hector-Louis Langevin, widely regarded as one of the architects of the system, as a racist, because many parents chose to send their children to faith-based schools on reserve, where they in turn learned valuable teachings about Jesus and the Gospel.

Now it makes sense... cause Jesus and the Gospel

Thanks to Hip for personalizing what to many is only something they ever hear or read about. I worked for years with a relatively remote band in northern BC and was told first hand experiences from many of those who were scooped and taken to Lejac, near Fraser Lake. The stories I heard were devastating. Imagine, too, what a village with no children would look and feel like. All the kids were rounded up and shipped off, leaving the parents and grandparents without their children. Hopelessness and despair followed. A very few took their kids far into the bush to avoid the authorities, but most weren't able to avoid it. One friend told me how he and a friend ran away from Lejac and followed the railroad tracks to Prince George, then ancient trails to get home. They never went back. The Senator must step down. There is no room in the national discourse for her brand of ignorance.

1 minute ago, Dral said:

OHHHHH found it:

Now it makes sense... cause Jesus and the Gospel

Agreed.  That was important

I recall hearing tales where when the youth that were stolen were being taught about Jesus and they started speaking of the creator and their legends they were beaten or "taken away" and showed the way of the man.  In some cases I was told about some of the girls who were shown the way of Mary the w***e and told unless they accepted Jesus that's how they'd end up.  Some of the boys were shown why it was a sin to "lie with another man" by acually being forced to "lie with another man"

All while under the age of 12 before they were shipped to larger learning centers.

Yes, the good done by the residential school systems I tell ya <_<

(and yes, I've sat through healing ceremonies where these issues were talked about by our elders when I was a kid.  Quite the brutal learning experience)

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

Thanks to Hip for personalizing what to many is only something they ever hear or read about. I worked for years with a relatively remote band in northern BC and was told first hand experiences from many of those who were scooped and taken to Lejac, near Fraser Lake. The stories I heard were devastating. Imagine, too, what a village with no children would look and feel like. All the kids were rounded up and shipped off, leaving the parents and grandparents without their children. Hopelessness and despair followed. A very few took their kids far into the bush to avoid the authorities, but most weren't able to avoid it. One friend told me how he and a friend ran away from Lejac and followed the railroad tracks to Prince George, then ancient trails to get home. They never went back. The Senator must step down. There is no room in the national discourse for her brand of ignorance.

I recall hearing of tales where there were interests in oil/gas/forestry and large corporations paid a good amount of money in the 50s 60s and 70s to forcibly remove the children until such time as the band signed off on exploration leases.

The evils done by these schools in the name of faith, money and "good will" are unspeakable.  I have adopted strong views about religion after seeing grown men face charging bull moose break down and cry speaking about what happened to them as children

This woman is everything wrong with canada in the same way that the overly PC crowd is.

They literally just have no damned clue

5 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

There is an Australian movie called " Rabbit Proof Fence" that tells a similar tale, only involving some Aborigine girls who used the rabbit fences to find their way home. 

Canada wasn't the only place that rounded up their children to "civilize the savages", or so was the justification for this.  

To play Devil's Advocate.....

There is partial true in what she said.  Not everyone who went through the residential school system were abused or had their lives ruined.  Just far too many were negatively impacted when they shouldn't have.  Approximately 150,000 students went through the system..... chances are the majority of them went through without any issues.  Not trivializing those who were abused or neglected to the point of death, but there were at least some "good" that occurred.  

The motives for such schools were noble from an Euro-centric, late 19th and early 20th century point of view..... just ghastly by modern standards.

But as the saying goes, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.  

Archived