The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tory Sen "The good indigenous residential schools have done"

hammertime

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

There is an Australian movie called " Rabbit Proof Fence" that tells a similar tale, only involving some Aborigine girls who used the rabbit fences to find their way home. 

Canada wasn't the only place that rounded up their children to "civilize the savages", or so was the justification for this.  

Colonisation, it's for everyone's best interests.... :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

To play Devil's Advocate.....

There is partial true in what she said.  Not everyone who went through the residential school system were abused or had their lives ruined.  Just far too many were negatively impacted when they shouldn't have.  Approximately 150,000 students went through the system..... chances are the majority of them went through without any issues.  Not trivializing those who were abused or neglected to the point of death, but there were at least some "good" that occurred.  

The motives for such schools were noble from an Euro-centric, late 19th and early 20th century point of view..... just ghastly by modern standards.

But as the saying goes, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.  

There is nothing, not one thing positive about these concentration camps. This senator is not ignorant, she is a racist fully aware of the racist implications of the residential schools on the ongoing history of Indigenous people here. These schools were the continuation of the genocide of Indigenous people in this land. At first it was conquest, mass extermination, land grab, reservations, and then as the Indian Affairs department so correctly exposed their motives, which was to "deal with the Indian problem" by creating these residential schools. Their intentions were good for their way of life, the absolute savage oppression and repression of Indigenous people.

There is no justification for this continuation of the genocide, and the reparations that must be implemented will never be enough as the damage has been done. The culture, the religion, the language, the way of life, the family, the community, EVERYTHING was taken out of Indigenous children across Canada, to make them "Canadian". These schools robbed people of their identity, there is nothing that possibly can be positive about that, unless you believe that European culture is superior to the various Indigenous cultures and ways of life.

1 hour ago, Pearly Jamble said:

There is nothing, not one thing positive about these concentration camps. This senator is not ignorant, she is a racist fully aware of the racist implications of the residential schools on the ongoing history of Indigenous people here.

I don't know if she's actually racist... and I definitely don't think she's even close to being aware of it... you can't be holding down a government job, say something like this and actually be aware of what you are saying...

I think she's just a bit of a religious nut bag that thinks Jesus trumps everything

11 hours ago, Dral said:

I don't know if she's actually racist... and I definitely don't think she's even close to being aware of it... you can't be holding down a government job, say something like this and actually be aware of what you are saying...

I think she's just a bit of a religious nut bag that thinks Jesus trumps everything

that's a very fine line and one that virtually doesn't exist in my mind anymore

9 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

well I really have a hard time believing anyone could be that ignorant...so I'm leaning towards malicious

I think you have to consider her age. As someone who went to school in the 60s and 70s, I can tell you that Residential Schools were something that was never even discussed. It's only recently that this "reconciliation" thing has come about.

As a kid, I went past the Lejac site many times, blissfully unaware of what it was, or what went on there. (Lejac is about 15 minutes on the Prince George side of Fraser Lake)

It was only years later, when I moved to Prince Rupert, (a town about 40% aboriginal) that I started to learn the ugly truth about residential schools. Later when I met my wife (a member of the Wet'suwet'en first nation and who's mother was taken from the Hazertons to Lejac as a child, I learned more. My mother in law rarely speaks about it, but she told my daughter once that she wasn't treated too badly, because she always did exactly as she was told. However, she also said that children who didn't toe the line were treated much worse.

The sad truth is that residential schools severed a single purpose: To beat the "indian" out of it's residents. There is no positive to be taken from the fact that such crimes were committed against aboriginal peoples. It really is our national shame.

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This woman is everything wrong with canada in the same way that the overly PC crowd is.

I kind of feel this woman's comments illustrates why political correctness is still needed. It's obvious there is still work to be done and people to reach.

You for instance are tired of it, I get that, so are a lot of people I assume. But there is a portion of society who are using the anti-PC position to further much different agenda.

I wonder how this useless turd of a human being, Lynn Beyak, would feel being forcibly taken from her home and driven to a dilapidated schoolhouse past 150 Mile House, where she'd be subject to be woken up at dawn, forced to eat gruel, and then "reprogrammed" by having the Jesus beaten out of her.

Her comments clearly indicate that she is one of the remaining stains on the toilet seat of Canadian governance.

22 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wonder how this useless turd of a human being, Lynn Beyak, would feel being forcibly taken from her home and driven to a dilapidated schoolhouse past 150 Mile House, where she'd be subject to be woken up at dawn, forced to eat gruel, and then "reprogrammed" by having the Jesus beaten out of her.

Her comments clearly indicate that she is one of the remaining stains on the toilet seat of Canadian governance.

What's bad about beyond 150 mile house??? 

I would think the premise of this is bad anywhere you go.

Then you have this creep here who played a part in this and in the area was widely suspected of dinking children there; http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/6978916

it was nice to see charges laid, finally... but it came as no surprise to many that the charges were dropped after he won his immunity necklace for being involved in the 2010 Olympics.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What does our Senate do, exactly?  It appears like a whole lot of political patronage appointments, with a couple honest people sprinkled in.  Yet, what do the do!  

Scam the Canadian tax payer, get drunk and make big wind.

Archived