The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Watters : "I don't think that Trevor Linden has done a good job at all"

Honky Cat

The Linden-Benning-Desjardin era is in its 3rd season. Considering the status of the prospect pool when they came in I would like to know what realistic expectations are not being met? Without the use of hindsight. I see a pretty methodical approach.  

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Could you describe why you feel "the pudding sucks"

I see that many changes are taking place and that the young guys are showing a lot of heart, determination and a strong compete level.   It won't be instant success...patience is required.  Could you expand on this?

Hold onto your hat Deb, I agree with you!

IMO, when TL came in, we were starting our fall, our vets were aging, and we had little in the way of prospects........fast forward

We have plenty of prospects and our defense has been totally up graded...........I do agree that Benning has done a decent to good job in drafting......and trading prospects, and I recognize that you don't win every trade or that every prospect will turn out......JImbo's decisions in those regards IMO, have been better than average.....

Jimbo has gotten into trouble in the past with his asset management.......but it appears he as learned from his mistakes, so I will wait and see how his next couple of years turns out. ( I won't mention that Hansen and Burrow's trades had great returns......sorry Deb! LOL....evil!)

TL decision to hire Benning has been generally a good one

On Willie's hiring...that falls mainly on Benning, and to his credit, Willie was highly thought off, and so, I think Jimbo and TL by extension, has done well............

I think Jimbo, making the statement that we will be playing more prospects, is a political statement, which was designed to appease the fans, and send a message to Willie, that Willie may not have been listening to.

I think Trevor is ethically a good man, and made a hire that fits his thinking and ethics...good on him!

I think to judge TL harshly, you must first know how much Aqualini has interfered in day to day operations......Trevor may have been very frustrated in that regard, and had his hands tied for quite sometime.......no one knows for sure what Aqualini's part in this has been

Hope you have a good day Deb !

18 hours ago, guntrix said:

That's the thing, what were Linden's goals and what has he done? I don't think any of us really know what Linden himself has done since taking charge as president. 

To me, this smells like a poster boy scenario. Have a cult hero at the top to ease the inevitable concern and tension that comes with rebuilding. 

That's the main part of his job isn't it? Just like Shanahan in T0. The GM's take care of important stuff.

10 hours ago, guntrix said:

That's the only thing anyone knows about - the Benning hiring.

Not only in the hockey world, a high-profile employee whom perplexes as to what he/she's doing is never a good thing, be it in sports or any other business. 

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you don't know what anyone in that position, for any franchise, actually does.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Could you describe why you feel "the pudding sucks"

I see that many changes are taking place and that the young guys are showing a lot of heart, determination and a strong compete level.   It won't be instant success...patience is required.  Could you expand on this?

its hard to like the taste of the pudding when the team you love is sitting in the basement of the league        I know that we need to be patient, and that a rebuild is part of the process every  team has to go through at some point in their existence.  

while there are many moves I have really loved , there have also been questionable ones that have been a little frustrating for all of us at times .     

I never want to bash the team I love . I also don't want to call it ice cream when its actually pudding 

I love this team but I also like trying to be an objective fan who enjoys having these convos 

makes hockey even more fun 

43 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

its hard to like the taste of the pudding when the team you love is sitting in the basement of the league        I know that we need to be patient, and that a rebuild is part of the process every  team has to go through at some point in their existence.  

while there are many moves I have really loved , there have also been questionable ones that have been a little frustrating for all of us at times .     

I never want to bash the team I love . I also don't want to call it ice cream when its actually pudding 

I love this team but I also like trying to be an objective fan who enjoys having these convos 

Hey LL

No one likes loosing....and most of us are impatient in some way

It is a process, that is for sure

But, the players are battling hard, even Edler in his Edler type fashion 

My wife says it's boring....well yes, but the effort is there

Willie frustrates me....but not the players, by in large

I truly see our glass 3/4's full and we will just have to wait it out

ME, I would like to see more change....if vets moved, but it can't happen all at once, so I will just have to wait

But man our prospects are looking Good!  So, I will continue to watch and be a fan, because of hope.........

Hope that we continue to draft great draft prospects, hope that they develop, hope that our young pro continue to develop,  and hope that Aqualini is patient enough to let the process work

Pretty much what I do in real life......Hope! 

Bill Watters' segment on the 1040 Morning show is pathetic--Pratt gets him on the line, and then basically tells him something like "So Ryan Miller had a 45-save shutout last night--is he important to the Canucks' chance of winning?" and then Watters takes what was spoon-fed him and rephrases it while admitting he didn't see the game.

Why are they paying someone who lives back east and admits he never watches the Canucks to give super-general vague answers anyone could give by merely reading the box score?  Now they've lost the broadcast rights they need to step up their game and get rid of guys like Watters and Pratt, because they aren't going to have Canucks players and staff dropped in their laps any more and they need to actually work for their stories.

13 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

Every GM has trades that turns out and trades that don't...

Shink for Granlund was highly questionable but now looks to appear highly one sided...

Vey for a 2nd, not so good. But Baertschi for a 2nd, pretty damn good... This is the GM life

People call out for a rebuild, well folks part of rebuilding is growing pains which usually results in being on the bottom end of the league. Gillis left this team bare throughout the years with very little plug and play prospects.

Throughout his tenure he also failed to find a legit 2nd line to play with Kesler and that Ballard//Grabner trade was close to one of the worst in Canucks history. But c'est la vie, like I said I'm weary to judge a GM based on a few bad trades because they are bound to happen. I'm more down on Gillis drafting record. Which brings me to my final point.

This next year is going to be a critical Benning year.

The 2015 prospects that were drafted by him are now AHL eligible (or at least most are), this is where we will hopefully see a much deeper, more dynamic, and more exciting Utica Comets group.

Zhukenov / Briesbois / Neill / Jasek / Olson

This is where we will need to see some potential in these players instead of being another bunch of Grenier's. When our best callup this year was Megna you know there was something wrong with our prospect pool from before...

Course Boeser, Dahlen, Demko and Goldy could a big positive for the JB fan club.

---- Synopsis ----

- Gillis left the prospect pool pretty empty and lackluster

- GMs everywhere will have bad trades but JB has made some trades that have been great thus far.

- The JB prospect pool will now start flooding into the AHL which is the first step of the true time to critique a GM's drafting record.

Well he isn't wrong.

The on-ice product is as boring to watch as I can remember in the past 20+ years. The atmosphere in the building is pretty much junk. And currently, people can barely giveaway Canucks' tickets, so from a business standpoint it's not going great either.

These are all things Linden loosely said would be top priorities for him to improve, and the fact is, things have actually gotten worse under Linden's watch. 

And as Watters brings up, if playoffs are the stated goal and the team hasn't been close. That's pretty much a failure. 

If I had a dollar for every Toronto reject who slammed my team I'd have enough to buy Toronto and kick them all out.  Of Canada.

^^ Just read that post above this.  Seriously?   This is untrue...and I will ask when the last game you attended was.  Be a part of the change you want to see is how I do it.  When I go, I cheer and have fun and people around me tend to do the same.  I don't sit and text about how lame it vs being absorbed in the game.  And let's face it, how much of THAT is to blame?  People go to dinner now and ignore each other because their phones are stuck to their faces....that happens at games.  Vancouver is becoming home of the elite and special.  They ain't got time to stop posting selfies.

...not that you're doing that, but some do.  Some have expectations and don't go to experience the game, they report on it and there's only "good" and "bad".  They miss a whole lot of stuff in between.  Put down the phone, grab your cowbell and have some fun.  

If you haven't seen a marked improvement in overall speed with the youth being infused in, you're missing something.  These guys can keep up with the play...it'll take a bit of work to get there, but there are no glaring deficiencies that I see.  Just a matter of (out)scoring (the other guys), but the compete level is there.  And I find it exciting hockey (although I did miss Saturday's game....first one in YEARS).

We have a "what have you done for me lately crowd" and, honestly, when you pay as much as we do to go to a game, that's warranted.  But some go expecting to win and glom on to the negativity for a loss...that stuff spreads.  We don't have the old school hockey fans, we have fans of being part of something....namely, winning.   How quickly people forget 2011....the year, not the end result.  But that's what this fanbase hones in on.  It's a tough gig, but some in this city hold expectations rather than hope.  And, when the team falls short, it's a "blow it up" mentality.  Failures, but they overlook a lot of success.  It ticks me off that it's become a place to vent in a song that never ends way.  Sure, criticism is warranted at times, but not always.  

Give it a chance to unfold...it isn't instant oatmeal.

15 hours ago, denniskearns said:

Bill Watters' segment on the 1040 Morning show is pathetic--Pratt gets him on the line, and then basically tells him something like "So Ryan Miller had a 45-save shutout last night--is he important to the Canucks' chance of winning?" and then Watters takes what was spoon-fed him and rephrases it while admitting he didn't see the game.

Why are they paying someone who lives back east and admits he never watches the Canucks to give super-general vague answers anyone could give by merely reading the box score?  Now they've lost the broadcast rights they need to step up their game and get rid of guys like Watters and Pratt, because they aren't going to have Canucks players and staff dropped in their laps any more and they need to actually work for their stories.

It is pretty laughable the way much of the pundit press BS is lapped up by fans. They question what ownership is doing behind the scenes to influence direction but do not question what the presstitutes say. Sports media is one of the few areas of modern media that make money. It requires a constant churn of fact and fiction about teams and players to maintain audience. Sliding audience = less ad revenue, less profit. Rogers pays billions of dollars for the NHL, how do fans think they will pay for that?

TSN 1040 is a classic example of churn with a large dose of negativity to generate audience. All is good on the Canuck rebuild and isn't management doing a great job does not sell. Such is life.

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It is pretty laughable the way much of the pundit press BS is lapped up by fans. They question what ownership is doing behind the scenes to influence direction but do not question what the presstitutes say. Sports media is one of the few areas of modern media that make money. It requires a constant churn of fact and fiction about teams and players to maintain audience. Sliding audience = less ad revenue, less profit. Rogers pays billions of dollars for the NHL, how do fans think they will pay for that?

TSN 1040 is a classic example of churn with a large dose of negativity to generate audience. All is good on the Canuck rebuild and isn't management doing a great job does not sell. Such is life.

Sekeres admitted on-air last week that being the "bad guy" sells on radio.  Didn't go so far as to say he and the others are just putting on an act, but they know that a significant portion of the fanbase here latches onto negativity like white on rice.  Pratt is probably the most transparent -- the fake laughing and ridiculous assertions and positions he takes, it's hard to accept he actually believes the stuff he spews.  I think that's why they brought on Satiar as a counterbalance to him since Jake is just comedic relief.

In terms of goals, not sure what Linden has missed?

-Hire a GM that is a great scout, understands working in a salary cap, and understands the "Boston Model" - Accomplished

-Get one of the most sought after (at the time Willie was) coaches available - Accomplished

-Continue to maintain the Canucks positive presence in the community - Accomplished.

Archived