The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the Summer of 2017 Coaching canditates

nickels

Rightly or wrongly it's becoming increasingly likely that Willie is gone after this season.

Please don't waste time in this thread discussing the merits of that decision.....

Who will be the available coaching candidates this summer ?...

Who's an early playoff exit from being canned ?

Is Travis Green gonna finally get a shot ?...would be my guess.

Crawford ?

Hitch out of retirement ?

9 minutes ago, nickels said:

Rightly or wrongly it's becoming increasingly likely that Willie is gone after this season.

Please don't waste time in this thread discussing the merits of that decision.....

Who will be the available coaching candidates this summer ?...

Who's an early playoff exit from being canned ?

Is Travis Green gonna finally get a shot ?...would be my guess.

Crawford ?

Hitch out of retirement ?

Don't like him, but I think he's here for another year.  FA has been paying too many coaches to not coach in the last 5 years.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ruff, Tippett, Green, Gallant, Crow,

Tippet/Crow

Green

Gallant

Ruff

would be my preferred order I think.I'd be equally happy with Dave or Crow, Green maybe but the jump to another inexperienced guy would concern me, maybe thats not fair but I'd like to see him learn the ropes as an assistant for a year at least. Gallant is down the list for me because Crow has won it all, Tippet took AZ to the 3rd round which was impressive and he's been part of a rebuild. Ruff seems tired. 

Most likely guarantees to be available for interview:

Gerard Gallant, Marc Crawford, Travis Green, Patrick Roy (though, he'd be a HARD PASS in my books), Bob Hartley (also a PASS in my mind), Dave Lowry (Victoria Royals coach), Sheldon Keefe (Toronto Marlies coach), Brad Berry (University of North Dakota's coach), Clark Donatelli (Wilkes-Barres/Scranton Penguins Coach), Roy Sommers (San Jose Barracudas Coach), Todd Nelson (Grand Rapids Griffins coach, Oilers temp head coach before MacEllen took over), Benoit Groulx (Syracuse Crunch coach), Ralph Krueger (Team Europe World Cup of Hockey Coach), John Stevens (LA Kings Assistant coach), Adam Oates (Captials former Head Coach), Lane Lambert (Capitals assistant head coach), David Quinn (Boston University head coach), Kevin Dineen (Blackhawks assistant coach), Vyacheslav Bykov (Russian coach, only coach to coach two seperate teams to KHL championship, considered by many to be the best and most qualified European coach outside of the NHL), and Jack Capuano (Islanders coach, another HARD PASS)

Obviously that's a lot of names and there availability for whether they could coach in the NHL or not depend so much on circumstance and contract situation.

If I had to pick a Willie replacement it would likely be one of Gerard Gallant (if you want an experienced coach), Travis Green (if you want a coach familiar with the Canucks youth), or Vyachelsav Bykov (if you want an outside the box pick).

But yeah, lots to chose from this summer if Willie is indeed fired.

I could also see Marc Crawford becoming the first coach of the Vegas Golden Knights... especially if they want an experienced guy at the helm to start off with.

Crow? People seriously. Let's go with someone new. not go with a coach who hasn't any success in the last 10 years.

its green for me. 

If only willy didn't have his pets (Megna, Bart, vet) and didn't make some head scratching decisions with his player deployment and not just living and dying with the youth then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

He's a good coach, look at this line up. he's squeezed every drop out of it, that at one point had us in a playoff spot 

25 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Tippet/Crow

Green

Gallant

Ruff

would be my preferred order I think.I'd be equally happy with Dave or Crow, Green maybe but the jump to another inexperienced guy would concern me, maybe thats not fair but I'd like to see him learn the ropes as an assistant for a year at least. Gallant is down the list for me because Crow has won it all, Tippet took AZ to the 3rd round which was impressive and he's been part of a rebuild. Ruff seems tired. 

Except Green knows most of the players, knows how to motivate them and they all know him 

2 minutes ago, billabong said:

Crow? People seriously. Let's go with someone new. not go with a coach who hasn't any success in the last 10 years.

its green for me. 

If only willy didn't have his pets (Megna, Bart, vet) and didn't make some head scratching decisions with his player deployment and not just living and dying with the youth then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

He's a good coach, look at this line up. he's squeezed every drop out of it, that at one point had us in a playoff spot 

Don't fool yourself. Goaltending was far and away the main reason the playoffs were even a slight possibility at one point. 

This time next year hoping it will be Green  stepping in. Might be time to go full almost all out youthful coach.

Green

and Gallant if Greens inexperience  at NHL is unpalatable for the team  based on the predecessor lack of achievement , while it is not all on him as talent levels were suspect An expectations were to high although admirable attributes to win..

I also have a feeling Willie will coach out his contract. Coaching isn't the problem with the Canucks. The players like him, especially the younger players (Baertschi, Horvat, etc). He's done a good job considering what he came into. He joined a bad team that was bombarded by injuries the last 2 seasons, and he's helped develop the young players. Yes, he's a boring interview, but so what.   

But my second guess would be Green.

Someone willing to let young players make mistakes and learn from it.

Someone willing to play young players in ALL Situations.

someone willing to teach and give young guys confidence and defined rolls. 

Someone that will preach sound defence while playing an upbeat style using speed and skill 

someone that will let physical players play physically / push back

Someone that will see who's part of the actual future and focus on giving them the best opportunity to succeed.

Not sure another roookie coach is the answer. Rather see  a guy with a history  that is proven and effective with youth. 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

So? He has plenty of pro experience and he knows all the players and what makes them tick.

So? He also already has biases and isn't able to look at the players top to bottom with a fresh and unbiased eye which is what this team needs from its next coach.

At the stage we are at, an experienced NHL coach that can take control and manage both vets and young players is critical.

I like Green and think he deserves a shot. But not with the Canucks right now with where they are at. I always think of Dallas Eakins experiment with the young players in Edmonton.

For those saying Tippett, that guy ain't leaving the Coyotes organization. He signed a 5 year contract extension with the Coyotes to be Head Coach/Executive VP of Hockey Operations and is the reason Don Maloney was fired and replaced by John Chayka. He's too entrenched in that organization right now to be ousted.

And Crawford, as much as I like him, is a step backwards. We need somebody new. I know Crawford hasn't been in the Canucks organization for years but he doesn't seem like the right choice. That and I definitely think he likes his role in Ottawa and may not want to leave there to be in Vancouver as the head coach of a rebuild. Again, I think Crow will be in Ottawa or Vegas come next year.

Doubt Hitchcock leaves retirement.

Lindy Ruff is a candidate that could make sense but I'm not sure he's the right fit in Vancouver. He didn't handle the Buffalo rebuild very well, doubt he handles Vancouver's well either.

Archived