The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the Summer of 2017 Coaching canditates

nickels

25 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Why not? 

He has done what was asked of him. In fact I am no coach but I would say what WD has had to do this season is almost unparalleled in it's difficulty. Despite that he has put a team on the ice every night that has played/competed to the best of their ability and some nights have looked exciting to watch.

If he had had a couple of Sedins in their prime or even a Stamkos many of these game would have been wins imo.

He has done all the hard part and now people want to hand it over to someone else. Now not only is that unfair in my book (think of a similar situation in any workplace with yourself in Desjardins place) but it actually could backfire on us and put us back one or two years.

He should get his last year imo, he has earned it.

Yep i agree with you there, i think he has done a good job with a bad team. Curious to see if management see's it the same way. Don Taylor the other day was claiming they are not happy with Willie as a source told him that... i tend to believe very little of what media says but as the saying goes "where there is smoke, there is fire". Time will tell.

On March 10, 2017 at 7:24 AM, Curmudgeon said:

Agree whole heartedly. Gallant has not only done well integrating young players into the lineup, he led the Panthers to the playoffs last year. I would offer Travis Green an assistant coaching job, but not the head coaching job. I really believe you need someone with successful NHL coaching experience, and I don't buy the idea that a young team and a young coach can grow together. Gallant, or Crawford for that matter, provide credibility, experience and inspire confidence, which are what is needed much more than the promise or the potential for being good.

Gallant for me

45 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Why not? 

He has done what was asked of him. In fact I am no coach but I would say what WD has had to do this season is almost unparalleled in it's difficulty. Despite that he has put a team on the ice every night that has played/competed to the best of their ability and some nights have looked exciting to watch.

If he had had a couple of Sedins in their prime or even a Stamkos many of these game would have been wins imo.

He has done all the hard part and now people want to hand it over to someone else. Now not only is that unfair in my book (think of a similar situation in any workplace with yourself in Desjardins place) but it actually could backfire on us and put us back one or two years.

He should get his last year imo, he has earned it.

Just like Chaput earned his spot on the top line.

two 9 game losing skids in under twelve months in different  seasons (on most teams is grounds for dismissal right there) 

back to back record setting lowest scoring team records there was a lot of bad teams in this franchises history yet he beat his own record of futility. 

he didn't get the most out of what he had the sedins might be declining but willies garbage brand of hockey has there totals not see in 12 years, Ericson also has been  successful every where he's been except under willie. 

He hasn't earned anything and deserves the same treatment any coach who has a team that struggles to score,defend and win. 

A powerplay that's been awful all season and has not changed 

Sbisa leading the d in toi the last 65 games(the province)

canucks have actually been the worst team in the league since January 21 - 19 points in 33 games the fewest shots goals wins and points. (The province)

his defensive system has been totally ineffective.  

But im on board give him one more season we could use another top three pick because he is that bad.

no teams will be lining up to hire him. 

Meh, they could hire anyone one in the world to coach this club and get the same result as willie finishing last or second last. 

I respect your unwavering support for him it's kinda like willies unwarranted and unwaiver over usage of megna and Chaput. 

9 minutes ago, combover said:

two 9 game losing skids in under twelve months in different  seasons (on most teams is grounds for dismissal right there) 

back to back record setting lowest scoring team records there was a lot of bad teams in this franchises history yet he beat his own record of futility. 

he didn't get the most out of what he had the sedins might be declining but willies garbage brand of hockey has there totals not see in 12 years, Ericson also has been  successful every where he's been except under willie. 

He hasn't earned anything and deserves the same treatment any coach who has a team that struggles to score,defend and win. 

canucks have actually been the worst team in the league since January 21 - 19 points in 33 games the fewest shots goals wins and points. (The province)

But im on board give him one more season we could use another top three pick because he is that bad.

Meh, they could hire anyone one in the world to coach this club and get the same result as willie finishing last or second last. 

I respect your unwavering support for him it's kinda like his unwaiver over usage of megna and Chaput. 

Look, all this has been covered and explained by myself and many others combover. 

Have you even bothered to compare rosters, compared draft positions, compared Ahl experience of prospects, compared injuries, compared how much this roster has been overhauled ?.........

17 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Look, all this has been covered and explained by myself and many others combover. 

Have you even bothered to compare rosters, compared draft positions, compared Ahl experience of prospects, compared injuries, compared how much this roster has been overhauled ?.........

It's a results based business, entertainment value has never been lower same  as tickets sales. The franchise is struggling on and off the ice in part to the talent level but also because of willie  who chooses what he believes to be reliability over skill. 

I rather watch Goldie virtanen subban pedan labate to name a few play and make mistakes and have a coach Teach them and development  and watch them grow even if the team finishes  last or second last. Than watch Chaput Larsen shore megna skillie ect play a terrible system that's doing even more damage to the brand thats already suffering and still finish in the bottom. 

There no future with those guys you can't sell the future when you show up and Chaput on the top line and Goldie's in the press box

Or playing with sutter. 

I guess we will see over the next couple weeks how ownership and managment feel about the job he's been doing. 

If they feel the same way as you then he'll be back..

But i guessing they would have already put this to bed with a definitive statement if they did. 

perhaps go to a spelling school for the summer, or at least use a spellchecker.  

1 hour ago, combover said:

I respect your unwavering support for him it's kinda like willies unwarranted and unwaiver over usage of megna and Chaput. 

changing a coach on this roster is like a combover, trying to hide the fact that the team sucks, or you are not really bald.

10 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

changing a coach on this roster is like a combover, trying to hide the fact that the team sucks, or you are not really bald.

\end thread

20 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Sometimes all you need is a good barber/coach to effectively cover the problem area where as a bad barber/ coach exposes those areas. 

The Nucks have been pretty exposed.

i'd like Crow to come back to Vancouver.. with his up tempo offensive style of hockey and with some of our young blood.. even if we suck in the standing next year.. at least it'll be some what entertaining assuming the young guys continue to progress.. it's already given that we were gonna suck.. but the games themselves are unwatchable at times.. and where are the guys that were arguing with me before the season started that we will score more goals this year than last with the addition of Eriksson and subtraction of Vrbata? 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:00 PM, billabong said:

Crow? People seriously. Let's go with someone new. not go with a coach who hasn't any success in the last 10 years.

its green for me. 

If only willy didn't have his pets (Megna, Bart, vet) and didn't make some head scratching decisions with his player deployment and not just living and dying with the youth then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

He's a good coach, look at this line up. he's squeezed every drop out of it, that at one point had us in a playoff spot 

Thank you. Like really people? Crow? You would take Crow over Green or Hartley? Wow.

14 hours ago, combover said:

It's a results based business, entertainment value has never been lower same  as tickets sales. The franchise is struggling on and off the ice in part to the talent level but also because of willie  who chooses what he believes to be reliability over skill. 

I rather watch Goldie virtanen subban pedan labate to name a few play and make mistakes and have a coach Teach them and development  and watch them grow even if the team finishes  last or second last. Than watch Chaput Larsen shore megna skillie ect play a terrible system that's doing even more damage to the brand thats already suffering and still finish in the bottom. 

There no future with those guys you can't sell the future when you show up and Chaput on the top line and Goldie's in the press box

Or playing with sutter. 

I guess we will see over the next couple weeks how ownership and managment feel about the job he's been doing. 

If they feel the same way as you then he'll be back..

But i guessing they would have already put this to bed with a definitive statement if they did. 

That's a rebuild. Unfortunately unlike the Leafs and the Oilers, the majority of our fanbase seems composed of uneducated bandwaggoners who whine for a rebuild but don't want to accept the consequences. We are not just in a rebuild, we were not ready to implement a rebuild, the previous GM saw to that - and yet we did it anyway.

These people see entertainment value as wins because many are too shallow when it comes to hockey to understand what is happening on the ice and in the Club - were you not entertained by their performance against the Oilers? Probably not because they didn't win - see what I mean? 60+ plus games we have been still in it coming into the 3rd period (TV commentator last night) We lack goal scorers and still the injuries persist with the loss of Sven.

People complain about the use of Chaput and Megna, Skille, Biega because they seem to have no understanding of the drafting history of this club under Gillis and why these players are there. They are there to add compete, speed and physicality in order to keep our inexperienced youngsters from being swamped every night. They are not there because they are NHL goal scorers, if they had been we would never have got them in the first place.

And you know what, it has worked. We held the most vaunted team in the league to a close game, which actually if we had had McDavid or Matthews would likely have gone in our favour. That tells me Willie has what it takes, what this Club needs and we are ahead of schedule in this rebuild.

12 hours ago, Jaimito said:

What if the team AND the coach suck?

14 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Not exploring your options when you potentially have a chance to upgrade is just bad management. 

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

That's a rebuild. Unfortunately unlike the Leafs and the Oilers, the majority of our fanbase seems composed of uneducated bandwaggoners who whine for a rebuild but don't want to accept the consequences. We are not just in a rebuild, we were not ready to implement a rebuild, the previous GM saw to that - and yet we did it anyway.

These people see entertainment value as wins because many are too shallow when it comes to hockey to understand what is happening on the ice and in the Club - were you not entertained by their performance against the Oilers? Probably not because they didn't win - see what I mean? 60+ plus games we have been still in it coming into the 3rd period (TV commentator last night) We lack goal scorers and still the injuries persist with the loss of Sven.

People complain about the use of Chaput and Megna, Skille, Biega because they seem to have no understanding of the drafting history of this club under Gillis and why these players are there. They are there to add compete, speed and physicality in order to keep our inexperienced youngsters from being swamped every night. They are not there because they are NHL goal scorers, if they had been we would never have got them in the first place.

And you know what, it has worked. We held the most vaunted team in the league to a close game, which actually if we had had McDavid or Matthews would likely have gone in our favour. That tells me Willie has what it takes, what this Club needs and we are ahead of schedule in this rebuild.

So if (when) willie is dismissed this summer ownership and management are shallow uneducated bandwagons? Entertainment value isn't wins it's playing an upbeat skill first atleast try to score game. Its what Edmonton did and why there fans still went to games well that and there's nothing else to do in Edmonton they didn't resort to a very bad version of the trap.id agree that megna and Chaput are fillers but don't say they bring a physical pressance and neither have any business anywhere i the top 6. Biega always been a great 7th dman and skillie just took a roster spot. 

Its not like it just the CDC thats had issues with willie and his wonky line combos and deployment, Jim hughston made negative comments about it on a national broadcast in the mic left on slip up. You may be one the "media hates us" guys but story after story about player deployment, TOI , the you earned it double standard. 

To say we were in it till the end last night and how we held the oilers to a tight game, do you not remember when Vancouver would play a garbage oiler team just before the post season and lose or win by one, the mandate for the oilers is 1 don't get hurt 2 don't get hurt 3 win. 

Like I said

in the next week or two we will see how managment feels 

Gallant was first choice for me when he became free,Rumblings that Ruff is soon to be free now ,Lindy was my choice a few years back when he was on market he would still be my number one choice.

Choice for assistants ,Green would be straight up the guy. He. Needs to cut his teeth now on big club . I would move Steamer on to Utica head coach job.

scouting still needs to be assessed An tweaked some more.

I see a lot of people blaming injuries on our terrible year, but fail to mention that the system you play plays a big role in injuries.

Almost every time (actually, I'm pretty sure EVERY time) we had a good lead this year, our team would sit back and try to defend the lead.

Doing so results in more shots against, which means more blocked shots, which leads to more injuries.

When you play a defense-first game, you open yourself up to physical punishment, whether it be in the corners or blocking shots.

That system needs to change or we aren't going anywhere. 

People can keep saying it's "bad luck", but I think that's BS.

1 minute ago, TU90 said:

I see a lot of people blaming injuries on our terrible year, but fail to mention that the system you play plays a big role in injuries.

Almost every time (actually, I'm pretty sure EVERY time) we had a good lead this year, our team would sit back and try to defend the lead.

Doing so results in more shots against, which means more blocked shots, which leads to more injuries.

When you play a defense-first game, you open yourself up to physical punishment, whether it be in the corners or blocking shots.

That system needs to change or we aren't going anywhere. 

People can keep saying it's "bad luck", but I think that's BS.

good thing nobody ever gets hurt going to the net ;)

Archived