The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the Summer of 2017 Coaching canditates

nickels

19 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Crow was a terrible coach when he didn't have Roy bailing out his awful systems. 

Crow also had Quennville next to him....

Remember when Crow benched (the greatest scorer ever) Gretzky in the shootout....:wacko:

Gretzky: I prayed to shoot for Canada in ’98

Nearly the entire country wanted Wayne Gretzky to be one of Canada’s five shooters. The Great One was just praying to be the sixth.

Watching from the bench as Team Canada coach Marc Crawford passed him over in favour of other players, including defenceman Ray Bourque, to participate in the infamous 1998 Olympic hockey semifinal shootout

Crawford leaves Gretzky on the bench in Nagano

cropped_REUA_535826.jpg?ts=1416943335  

With all eyes on Japan as National Hockey League players represented their respective countries at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Canada's head coach left a nation scratching its collective head by leaving The Great One stapled to the bench in a do-or-die situation.

Facing the prospect of selecting five players to participate in a semifinal shootout against Dominik Hasek and the Czech Republic, Marc Crawford chose not to roll with Wayne Gretzky, selecting, most notably, defenseman Ray Bourque instead.

Gretzky may not have made good on the opportunity, but Crawford will always be second guessed for not giving him the shot.

11 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Edler IS our 1st D. It is a matter of record that when he is out of the team injured, we struggle. 

I'd actually like to see the numbers on that the last 3-5 seasons. Can't seem to find it anywhere. 

Canucks record when he's in vs out of the lineup.

If I had my choice I would like to see Therrien as our bench boss. He has a history of success in multiple systems and it would be nice to have another coach with playoff experience. So this would be my short-list:

1. Michel Therrien

2. Crow

3. Green

4. Nolan??

Chances are WD will finish his contract in Vancouver though

The way I look at this is, if the coach came out and said it is difficult for him to try to both make the Playoffs and develop the young guys, then next year management should just shut up and let Willie does his job. If everyone is saying he is a good teacher, I want to see how good he is in teaching the young guys, minus the burden of making the Playoffs. So I would say Willie back for another year, and if we see the same crap again (i.e. Questionable player deployment) then fire him.

23 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Edler IS our 1st D. It is a matter of record that when he is out of the team injured, we struggle. People like you concentrate on his mistakes (yes there are a few mainly down to how much pressure is on our defence because our offence lacks physicality) but pay no attention to the fact he is still our most physical D and still carries the D with his work rate.

No he doesn't ALWAYS rely on the Sedins late in tied games. I often see the Horvat and Sutter lines on late, even the 4th on occasion. If he is not doing it every time then your argument fails because his deployment is being done to suit existing circumstances as he sees them. Obviously circumstances you are unaware of or not in a position to assess.

Also let's not forget, although the Sedins ARE now pretty slow, they are still two of the most skilled and fittest players on the roster.

Edler is our number one defensemen by default, because we have no better options, but he shouldn't be playing 25+ minutes a night. He isn't a Duncan Keith or Shea Weber, nor is he a young stallion like Seth Jones or Rasmus Ristolainen. On a contender he's a 3rd or 4th defensemen, at best. Take him off the powerplay, because he hasn't been producing any offense on the man-advantage. I would also argue he's our best physical defensemen. I don't think I feel seen him lay out a hard hit, since 2010. Sbisa and Tryamkin are way more physical than Edler is.

Just to make it clear, I don't think Benning and co. should fire Willie, based on his usual tactics. Just want to point out, Green isn't any better than Willie and if he is next to step in, he certainly won't be playing the kids any more than Willie.

On 10.3.2017 at 3:48 AM, Quantum said:

Most likely guarantees to be available for interview:

Gerard Gallant, Marc Crawford, Travis Green, Patrick Roy (though, he'd be a HARD PASS in my books), Bob Hartley (also a PASS in my mind), Dave Lowry (Victoria Royals coach), Sheldon Keefe (Toronto Marlies coach), Brad Berry (University of North Dakota's coach), Clark Donatelli (Wilkes-Barres/Scranton Penguins Coach), Roy Sommers (San Jose Barracudas Coach), Todd Nelson (Grand Rapids Griffins coach, Oilers temp head coach before MacEllen took over), Benoit Groulx (Syracuse Crunch coach), Ralph Krueger (Team Europe World Cup of Hockey Coach), John Stevens (LA Kings Assistant coach), Adam Oates (Captials former Head Coach), Lane Lambert (Capitals assistant head coach), David Quinn (Boston University head coach), Kevin Dineen (Blackhawks assistant coach), Vyacheslav Bykov (Russian coach, only coach to coach two seperate teams to KHL championship, considered by many to be the best and most qualified European coach outside of the NHL), and Jack Capuano (Islanders coach, another HARD PASS)

Obviously that's a lot of names and there availability for whether they could coach in the NHL or not depend so much on circumstance and contract situation.

If I had to pick a Willie replacement it would likely be one of Gerard Gallant (if you want an experienced coach), Travis Green (if you want a coach familiar with the Canucks youth), or Vyachelsav Bykov (if you want an outside the box pick).

But yeah, lots to chose from this summer if Willie is indeed fired.

I could also see Marc Crawford becoming the first coach of the Vegas Golden Knights... especially if they want an experienced guy at the helm to start off with.

Quite an amount of quality coaches available. My personal preference would also be Gerard Gallant. I guess Travis Green is on the inside track here for us and he'll be in the mix if we decide to move on from Willie Desjardins. I don't actually have anything against Willie, nor do I feel we have to move there. But maybe it could be a good wake up call for the team if we get a new voice behind the bench. WD is a good coach, but we clearly don't have a great one. Remains to be seen.

On Thursday, March 09, 2017 at 6:00 PM, billabong said:

Crow? People seriously. Let's go with someone new. not go with a coach who hasn't any success in the last 10 years.

its green for me. 

If only willy didn't have his pets (Megna, Bart, vet) and didn't make some head scratching decisions with his player deployment and not just living and dying with the youth then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

He's a good coach, look at this line up. he's squeezed every drop out of it, that at one point had us in a playoff spot 

No Success?   Somebody else tell him....I'm sleepy

On 3/11/2017 at 9:30 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

I am of the 180 viewpoint on Crow being a good coach for a team that wasn't the late 90's Avalanche. 

What makes a good coach?

* Getting the team prepared

* Deployment

* In-Game adjustments to opposition deployment

* Managing the psyche of the players so they perform well and are motivated

* Offensive Strategy

* Defensive Strategy

But whether he is a good coach or not, lots of opinions:  Here is one of the only ones I could quickly google: http://thereuschblog.com/?p=17194

I liked watching the high-tempo teams, and as I've said I would gladly pay to watch those teams even when they lose.  It makes a rebuild a lot easier to watch if you see a lot of goals and the players can score.  Really I can't stand to watch WD's team...  trapping and boring.  I'd rather see a Crawford team lose for a few years while rebuilding.  Just to get some effing entertainment!   But is Crawford the genius?  No of course not, but I like his style.  In a game where coaches only want defense-first boring trapping hockey - in order to have a better chance of winning - he stands out.  Or he did... not sure what his stance is now

On 3/10/2017 at 1:32 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ruff, Tippett, Green, Gallant, Crow,

Ruff - missed the playoffs 7 times.

Tippett - yes because he has done SO well with Arizona, a team who have been sucking up high draft picks for years.

Green -  I'll pretend you are smoking something with that one.

Crawford - A guy who has made a career latterly of missing the playoffs and being fired - even by us.

1 hour ago, canucksnihilist said:

What makes a good coach?

* Getting the team prepared

* Deployment

* In-Game adjustments to opposition deployment

* Managing the psyche of the players so they perform well and are motivated

* Offensive Strategy

* Defensive Strategy

But whether he is a good coach or not, lots of opinions:  Here is one of the only ones I could quickly google: http://thereuschblog.com/?p=17194

I liked watching the high-tempo teams, and as I've said I would gladly pay to watch those teams even when they lose.  It makes a rebuild a lot easier to watch if you see a lot of goals and the players can score.  Really I can't stand to watch WD's team...  trapping and boring.  I'd rather see a Crawford team lose for a few years while rebuilding.  Just to get some effing entertainment!   But is Crawford the genius?  No of course not, but I like his style.  In a game where coaches only want defense-first boring trapping hockey - in order to have a better chance of winning - he stands out.  Or he did... not sure what his stance is now

There hasn't been much wrong with our tempo all season that retiring the Sedins and finding a couple of young skilled forwards wouldn't sort out, or were you not watching last night?

You couldn't accuse WD of any one of the things in your list last night and truth be told, seldom during the whole season. Do you understand the player situation at this club? It sure doesn't look like it.

9 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Ruff - missed the playoffs 7 times.

Tippett - yes because he has done SO well with Arizona, a team who have been sucking up high draft picks for years.

Green -  I'll pretend you are smoking something with that one.

Crawford - A guy who has made a career latterly of missing the playoffs and being fired - even by us.

WD.  

-Missed playoffs 2 of 3 years.

-Two back to back bottom 5 finishes

-Back to back bottom 4 PP%

-Since WD was in the NHL he's coached his team to the 8th worst winning% of all 30 teams.  

What a pathetic NHL resume, good luck back in Sask.

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

WD.  

-Missed playoffs 2 of 3 years.

-Two back to back bottom 5 finishes

-Back to back bottom 4 PP%

-Since WD was in the NHL he's coached his team to the 8th worst winning% of all 30 teams.  

What a pathetic NHL resume, good luck back in Sask.

The telling stat though was when he had a team even with a mediocre personnel he reached the playoffs in the West.

Only 8th worst? then considering his roster he's performing miracles.

As for the PP yes having 2 ageing and slow vets and some green rookies on your 1st OR 2nd PP will do that.

I wonder what the Avalanche, Wings, Islanders, Coyotes excuse is. And I wonder what the Oiler's excuse on the PK is.

11 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

The telling stat though was when he had a team even with a mediocre personnel he reached the playoffs in the West.

Only 8th worst? then considering his roster he's performing miracles.

As for the PP yes having 2 ageing and slow vets and some green rookies on your 1st OR 2nd PP will do that.

I wonder what the Avalanche, Wings, Islanders, Coyotes excuse is. And I wonder what the Oiler's excuse on the PK is.

Excuses after excuses.  It's that how you apply for a job. You hand in your resume followed by a long list of excuses?

Avalanche, Wings, and Islanders have all got new coaches in that time frame.  It's time the canucks do the same..

Archived