The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the Summer of 2017 Coaching canditates

nickels

I wouldn't mind Roy... his passion is incredible. 

Please no inexperienced NHL guys... had enough of that with Willie. So no to Green. 

Roy, Hartley, Gallant? 

I don't see Ruff or Tippett as guaranteed to be fired. 

On 3/9/2017 at 6:22 PM, CanuckGAME said:

Crow has my vote as well.

We missed the boat last year when Boudreau was available.

Missed????, I'm guessing that he would have wanted nothing to to do with this mess. 

In all honesty, I just don't Vancouver as an attractive team for a coach who has options. 

The best coach for the Canucks is likely Willie, until the youth starts to come around.

1 minute ago, chickenman92 said:

Missed????, I'm guessing that he would have wanted nothing to to do with this mess. 

In all honesty, I just don't Vancouver as an attractive team for a coach who has options. 

The best coach for the Canucks is likely Willie, until the youth starts to come around.

With Willie, will the youth get a chance to come around?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With Willie, will the youth get a chance to come around?

ummm... how has Willie not developed youth? 

Horvat, Hutton, Tryamkin, Sven, Granlund, Stetcher all seem to be growing as players under Willie. 

Virtanen is about the only one who didn't grow, which makes me think that's a Virtanen problem, not a Willie problem. 

On 3/9/2017 at 6:58 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Keep in mind that a couple of coaches may be fired at seasons end. The list of possibilities might be completely different in a few months, so I'm not going to get my heart set on anybody just yet.

Jared Bednar will be available in the offseason. 

He's our guy if we want to lose lol 

23 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

ummm... how has Willie not developed youth? 

Horvat, Hutton, Tryamkin, Sven, Granlund, Stetcher all seem to be growing as players under Willie. 

Virtanen is about the only one who didn't grow, which makes me think that's a Virtanen problem, not a Willie problem. 

I could opine these players would even be better without Willie, especially their offensive numbers.  One could argue Willie's fall back and defend like it's European Handball, could actually be stunting the offencive games of the developing players.  One could argue that Willie's consequences for young players mistakes on the offensive creative part of the game would certainly negatively effect development.  

18 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Kirk Muller

This guy has learned from the best and has amazing ways of actually running a power-play. This guy wants so badly to become a head coach but won't get the nod in Montreal for his lack of parlez vous. With Julien being hired, it's obvious that Muller won't be getting the job even if he does learn French

Ya, he had an unsuccessful run in Carolina but like the Canucks, that team was suffering from aging vets.

He and Jarvis have also worked together so there is that. Not sure who he would select to run his defense but in the past he has worked with Dave Lewis, John McLean,  Guy Carbenneau, and recently with a decent defense coach in Brad Shaw who has done a masterful job with the St. Louis defense over the past 5 years. He has also worked with Rollie Melanson who also happens to be a part of our current staff.

Muller is a younger coach but knows his stuff and should be worth a look.

One of the better coaching suggestions to date. Hard to say how the Habs will do in playoffs this year. Looked pretty good the other night. Julien might want his own people starting next year.

I actually quite like Crawford but the suggestion makes me cringe.

Don't expect any coach to come in and improve the scoring on this team.  Crow isn't bringing prime WCE with him... and Jovo and Ohlund to get them the puck.  

Coaches adapt their system to fit their players... our team is young, inexperienced and relatively unskilled.  Expect structure from whomever is behind the bench.

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I could opine these players would even be better without Willie, especially their offensive numbers.  One could argue Willie's fall back and defend like it's European Handball, could actually be stunting the offencive games of the developing players.  One could argue that Willie's consequences for young players mistakes on the offensive creative part of the game would certainly negatively effect development.  

There's two sides to every coin Alf- the structure that the young players are being forced to adhere to now will be second nature by the time they are ready and good enough to be competitive. It's hard to watch now, but it will pay off in spades when they make the playoffs. And lets face it, good players don't forget how to create offense in a defensive system, Bo being a perfect example of that.

Keep WD for one more year and take a run at Rasmus Dahlin?  This year we draft Liljegren.

Its the opposite of the Oilers rebuild where we keep drafting D and forget the offense.  The one day, maybe 8 years from now, we get so good at being bad that a McJesus falls into our lap and saves us. ::D

1 hour ago, hlinkas wrister said:

There's two sides to every coin Alf- the structure that the young players are being forced to adhere to now will be second nature by the time they are ready and good enough to be competitive. It's hard to watch now, but it will pay off in spades when they make the playoffs. And lets face it, good players don't forget how to create offense in a defensive system, Bo being a perfect example of that.

I agree that there are two sides and players don’t forget offensive abilities but offensive instincts, creativity and having fun can be lost by putting too much emphasis on structure.  Lost to the point where the player can never recover.  Look no further than Baertschi in Calgary,  he was expected to become a 200 foot player before he would be rewarded with any opportunity, it destroyed his confidence to the point where he wanted out of the flames Organization and nearly cost him his NHL career. That's just one example where poor development and too much emphasis on 2 way play cost a franchise a top 6 winger. 

I stand on the other side.  I believe the best thing for young skilled players is to build their confidence up, right when they enter the league (make the NHL).  Once a player believes they can be successful at the NHL level, then you can work on adding defensive aspects to their game, slowly.  Just look at any of the top 30 forward scores.  It’s not like the majority of them had to be a strong 2 way proven players before they got some opportunity.  Most of them are still working on their D-zone play today. 

Part of developing young players is being able to live with their mistake and teaching them to learn for those mistakes.   Not playing them because you’re afraid of the possibility of mistakes is not development.

3 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

Missed????, I'm guessingthat he would have wanted nothing to to do with this mess. 

Don't try to pass your "guesses" as facts.

Look at the dumpster Fire Babcock went to.  Vancouver is a beautiful, world class city that offers a coach and his family a nice life, our hockey team is in the middle of a rebuild. Another top pick or two and we are back on the up and up.

So tired of reading the negative BS some posters have to spew.  They try and pass their guesses off as fact,  the off season when Willie was signed, he was the top coach available, Pittsburgh made him an offer,  you know, the team who won the cup last year with Crosby, and Malkin, and Willie chose Vancouver. You may not like him now, but he was the prize that off-season and he chose us.

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

Don't try to pass your "guesses" as facts.

Look at the dumpster Fire Babcock went to.  Vancouver is a beautiful, world class city that offers a coach and his family a nice life, our hockey team is in the middle of a rebuild. Another top pick or two and we are back on the up and up.

So tired of reading the negative BS some posters have to spew.  They try and pass their guesses off as fact,  the off season when Willie was signed, he was the top coach available, Pittsburgh made him an offer,  you know, the team who won the cup last year with Crosby, and Malkin, and Willie chose Vancouver. You may not like him now, but he was the prize that off-season and he chose us.

Maybe Willie chose us because we offered him two extra years on his contract?  

Travis for me please..I feel  pretty confident from the videos and interviews iv'e seen that he has the right tools to lead our youth, and the common sense to properly deploy an NHL team. We wont be making a cup run anytime soon with this injection of youth, let coach and players grow together.

Archived