The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] KHL interest in Anton Rodin

Anton Rödin poured in 37 points in 33 games in SHL last season before he unfortunately was injured and had to put an end to the season.

Brynäs had the leagues best lines in Rödin, Greg Scott and Oskar Lindblom. This year Brynäs managed to find a new star line that delivers with Jesper Jensen and Kevin Clark as new playmates to Lindblom.

Rödin got the Golden Helmet as SHL's MVP for the season and he was also honored with a new NHL contract with Vancouver.

He made his NHL debut this winter but a total of only six games (NHL, AHL) and now awaits rehabilitation after a recent operation in North America.

The contract with Vancouver lasts for a season, and the future is unclear. However, what is very clear is the interest in Russia and the KHL regarding Rödin.

There are several clubs who are in search of him, and according to data is CSKA Moscow, one of the clubs who really are after the Swede right now.

Just as they did last year - when they managed to get their hands on Greg Scott as they tried to also get along sidekick Rodin.

Now the question is how the 26-year-old feels about his future and how it looks in the NHL, given that he never really had time to show what he can do this time.

It would be interesting to see Scott and Rödin reunited in the KHL next season. The Canadian signed a two-year contract with the club. The duo could probably do a lot of damage even in Russia.

- A player of Anton's caliber always attracts interest from around the hockey world, nothing strange about it. That's all I can say right now, says Rödins agent Tommy Ostrom.

http://bloggar.expressen.se/sjoberg/2017/03/ryska-klubben-jagar-rodin/

Should be interesting to see what happens with Rodin this summer. He hasn't really been able to show the Canucks management anything this season other than his impressive pre-season form. 

1 minute ago, DeltaSwede said:

Should be interesting to see what happens with Rodin this summer. He hasn't really been able to show the Canucks management anything this season other than his impressive pre-season form. 

His skill has never been in question. The question has been can he handle a North American game. He was never able to show us what he could do after his draft year as he was often injured and never got in a rhythm.

Not much has changed.  Frankly I'm not scared someone will swoop him up and he'll score a bunch because he's not scoring for us. He's not worth even taking up 1 of our 50 contracts imo. 

Was mentioned in the Rodin thread, but I'm fine with this having its own thread. 

More on topic, I'm not surprised. Rodin has had a lot of success in Europe and not a lot in North America, even if it was just injuries that kept him out this year. I could see him getting a solid pay day based on his SHL MVP pedigree.

9 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Of course teams will be interested in him, we are too. If he decides not to come back then so be it, but I'd love for him to get a shot in the NHL with us and succeed.

You really think the Canucks want him back, when we have much younger guys coming?  

4 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I watched him live in pre-season. He wasn't noticeable (even against weaker players of other teams). He got a few points but mostly because of the work of the other Canucks.

It wouldn't be that big of a kick in the knackers bro. We don't know really what he is but if boeser signs the line up fills up fast 

baertschi-horvat-goldobin

sedin-sedin-boeser

Eriksson-sutter-virtanen

xxxxx-granlund-dorsett 

gaunce is gone via exp draft. Although, 3 of those guys could play in Utica, but best case scenario they can each contribute 10-15 goals 

There is going to be some decent competition in camp next year, finally.  Especially if Gaudette and Boeser leave school to turn pro.

Although the Canucks may not have elite (Mcdavid  /Matthews / Laine) talent at the forward position on the way I like the group of young forwards in the mix.  It may be scoring by committee and that's okay, harder to play against.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

You really think the Canucks want him back, when we have much younger guys coming?  

We are missing players in the 26-28 range. You can't be successful with a team full of players over 30 and then under 22

6 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

His skill has never been in question. The question has been can he handle a North American game. He was never able to show us what he could do after his draft year as he was often injured and never got in a rhythm.

Not much has changed.  Frankly I'm not scared someone will swoop him up and he'll score a bunch because he's not scoring for us. He's not worth even taking up 1 of our 50 contracts imo. 

I think that new guy we signed last week was not worth 1/50 contracts. Fgot his name but the guy who is an overager playing in CHL. Man... 

Rodin's been injured the whole time, he needed surgery. Hopefully, he'll recover and be better than ever. Canucks need as many skilled players as possible and Rodin is still youngish. I hope we can see him play a full season.

I watched him live in pre-season. He wasn't noticeable (even against weaker players of other teams). He got a few points but mostly because of the work of the other Canucks.

Not really.  The stars of the preseason were Stetcher, Rodin and Ruutu (Granlund and Edler were the only two vets who showed particularly well).

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I watched them on tv.  I obviously didn't have the same viewing experience as you. but from what I saw on the tele he was a big contributor on almost every point he scored.   

I guess we saw different things.  I think he's ready for top 6 minutes but with all the talent we have he might be lucky to get a top 9 spot next season. 

Sedin Sedin Granlund Horvat Baertschi Goldubin Eriksson and possibly Boeser knocking on the door. I think he might be able to pass granlund but Willie and the team believes he's top 6 or bust.

I could see granny being dealt in a package though if the right player became avaliable. that's just me tho

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

We are missing players in the 26-28 range. You can't be successful with a team full of players over 30 and then under 22

Maybe that depends on the definition of successful for a rebuilding/retooling/transitioning team?  Maybe success for us would be getting younger players into the lineup, while getting top draft picks?  

2 hours ago, billabong said:

It wouldn't be that big of a kick in the knackers bro. We don't know really what he is but if boeser signs the line up fills up fast 

baertschi-horvat-goldobin

sedin-sedin-boeser

Eriksson-sutter-virtanen

xxxxx-granlund-dorsett 

gaunce is gone via exp draft. Although, 3 of those guys could play in Utica, but best case scenario they can each contribute 10-15 goals 

If Boeser signs I'd think thats probably the end of the road for us and Rodin.... with the bigger contracts coming for Bo, NT and Guddy there probably won't be an extra mil for Rodin and Boeser's ELC which will be maxed for sure. 

Give him the same contract for next year. Lets hope the procedure he had here will be a success. From what we saw in pre season it would be a shame that the Canucks who are such a poor scoring team would pass on Rodin and his skillset. Give him 1 more chance, especially when he is at full health.

Rodin has to be an upgrade over Megna and Chaput

Archived