The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don’t Believe Anything Iain MacIntyre Tells You

Rocksterh8

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

I guess the Sedins play cannot be talked about...their play and results are below par to what the fanbase is use to seeing...this is a major factor to the performance of this team.

The elephant in the room is not being talked about.

It's not an elephant in the room. Lots of folks on CDC have talked about it. What's the problem is it's hard to trade $14 million in Salary. Since apparently with Hansen we have another contact that we are paying out on. There's a maximum allowed in the number of players that we are retaining salary on. It's 4. We are now at 3. 

So you can only eat Salary on either Henrik or Daniel. Making it $11.5 million. 

Who's going to want to pay that much for players that have lost a step? My only solution is if they do want to trade, move them to Vegas. Vegas has to hit a cap floor, and $14 million will eat up cap pretty fast. They would most likely be the two most talented forwards. Honestly I know it might seem a giveaway but a 1st and 5th and 6th in 2017.

And a 3rd in 2018, it would be a steal for Vegas. Being a part of history so to speak. The way I'd frame it is, you're in a rebuild in Vancouver, or start of a franchise in Vegas. 

Which works best? 

But in the end Benning/Linden and the Twins are getting together after the season is over and see where they want to go. I like that approach. Let's everyone know where they stand. Discuss things with respect and like adults. Something I think CDC could learn. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

hint: it's because they are.

iain's alleged arrogance is nothing compared to the hubris of canucks fans thinking they know more than the accredited media when every shred of information they receive to base their beliefs on are provided by those same media members who actually have legitimate access to the team. 

Like media projections of the standings?

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

What I got the from article going with this was we have no chance of winning now so why are Biega, Megna, Eriksson, Skille, Chaput, Larsen, Sutter, Daniel, Henrik, Edler, and Miller getting any significant playing time whatsoever, play the rooks 17 minutes a night, and WAH we aren't tanking hard enough to squeeze out every last tenth of a percent in draft lottery odds.

Stealth tank. With Willy! 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

What I got the from article going with this was we have no chance of winning now so why are Biega, Megna, Eriksson, Skille, Chaput, Larsen, Sutter, Daniel, Henrik, Edler, and Miller getting any significant playing time whatsoever, play the rooks 17 minutes a night, and WAH we aren't tanking hard enough to squeeze out every last tenth of a percent in draft lottery odds.

Stealth tank. With Willy! 

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's not an elephant in the room. Lots of folks on CDC have talked about it. What's the problem is it's hard to trade $14 million in Salary. Since apparently with Hansen we have another contact that we are paying out on. There's a maximum allowed in the number of players that we are retaining salary on. It's 4. We are now at 3. 

So you can only eat Salary on either Henrik or Daniel. Making it $11.5 million. 

Who's going to want to pay that much for players that have lost a step? My only solution is if they do want to trade, move them to Vegas. Vegas has to hit a cap floor, and $14 million will eat up cap pretty fast. They would most likely be the two most talented forwards. Honestly I know it might seem a giveaway but a 1st and 5th and 6th in 2017.

And a 3rd in 2018, it would be a steal for Vegas. Being a part of history so to speak. The way I'd frame it is, you're in a rebuild in Vancouver, or start of a franchise in Vegas. 

Which works best? 

But in the end Benning/Linden and the Twins are getting together after the season is over and see where they want to go. I like that approach. Let's everyone know where they stand. Discuss things with respect and like adults. Something I think CDC could learn. 

It's 3 contracts that can be retained.  Hansen and Luongo makes it 2.

Vegas timeline to be competitive is about 5 years - doubtful they would want the Sedins with one year left.  Draft picks are more valuable as they build their franchise.

2 hours ago, tas said:

hint: it's because they are.

iain's alleged arrogance is nothing compared to the hubris of canucks fans thinking they know more than the accredited media when every shred of information they receive to base their beliefs on are provided by those same media members who actually have legitimate access to the team. 

You might be right about this point, but you are raising an argument irrelevant to the original comment that lead to the article. 

This wasn't a question about access to team and being aware of what was going on in the locker room.

The article was written primarily in response to Iain's assertion that " they’re outraged and hyper-critical when the team loses ".

This is a massive oversimplification by him. First, where is his evidence that this is the case? Specifically, where is his evidence that the majority of Canuck fans are outraged and hypercritical after a loss? This is misunderstanding a pretty simple factor. People that are angry are more likely to speak up than people that are less upset. 

Second, where is the evidence that Canuck fans are outraged by losses? I see dissatisfaction with the process in which the game unfolds, and not necessarily with the end result. 

TL;DR: MacIntyre's oversimplification seems to be a result of not actually knowing how Canucks fans feel and instead using a few anecdotes on social media to inform his opinion.

10 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

KILTYmed.jpg

It reeks of "Don't trust that guy...Trust me!"

Hockey is fun and all, but when someone is parsing words of someone else's parsed words I think it's time to find an additional interest to write about.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Guaranteed the same tools on this board screaming about a rebuild will turn on the kids the second they show their inexperience.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Why can't there be balance? Only a very small minority are clamoring for Boucher to play first line minutes, etc. I think Edler has had a terrific year, he just can't get shots through from the point. 

There is a spot between "full-blown Edmonton model" and "Megna as PP1 and Biega as fwd" that I would like to see the Canucks live. Some nights, the balance is struck. But, more often than not, we find ourselves on the right side of the continuum. 

7 minutes ago, mll said:

It's 3 contracts that can be retained.  Hansen and Luongo makes it 2.

Vegas timeline to be competitive is about 5 years - doubtful they would want the Sedins with one year left.  Draft picks are more valuable as they build their franchise.

They have to sell a product. The Sedins are integrity to any club, as slow as they might be. I'd retain half, or more, and flip them for whatever. 

Its all all about changing direction. Fast! 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

It reeks of "Don't trust that guy...Trust me!"

Hockey is fun and all, but when someone is parsing words of someone else's parsed words I think it's time to find an additional interest to write about.

Why we all hate seeing Botch taken seriously... 

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Why can't there be balance? Only a very small minority are clamoring for Boucher to play first line minutes, etc. I think Edler has had a terrific year, he just can't get shots through from the point. 

There is a spot between "full-blown Edmonton model" and "Megna as PP1 and Biega as fwd" that I would like to see the Canucks live. Some nights, the balance is struck. But, more often than not, we find ourselves on the right side of the continuum. 

I'd say we have seen a fair bit of balance.  It's easy to get caught up in the now and the past 10 games, but over the course of the season we've seen gains from a lot of young players.  Is it perfect?  No, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about 4 minutes of ice-time for Goldobin here or 30 seconds of power play time for Megna there.

Archived