The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in Zachary Aston-Reese

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

He can still play in Utica on a pro contract, he'll just burn a year on his elc.  I'm not sure if he is eligible for playoffs of he starts in Van 

I think you are right, he would not be eligible for the playoffs (should we make it), much like the signing of Drew Shore. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

They could sign BB to an ato, but it's almost assured that BB will insist on a pro contract so he can burn a year........same as Try last season.

works for me. I think the fan base needs the lift ::D

If we snag him and get him into Utica next year with Boeser and Gaudette we're going to have a hell of a team over there. One more year and that NCAA trio will join the Canucks. Could pretty much leave them as a line. Possibly immediate 1st line right there. Instant Sedin replacement.

More realistically though, Gaudette's had a great year and Aston-Reese has put up scary offensive numbers but I see him as a 2nd line scoring winger at best. Would be smart to put Boeser with Horvat and Granlund, and Gaudette and Aston-Reese with someone with a bit of grit like say Virtanen. Leaves us with Granlund and Goldobin to form another decent tertiary scoring line.

Apparently the Canucks are on hi short list, and I would think Vancouver would be an attractive place to play for a young guy. Canucks are rebuilding and putting younger players into the lineup. Would love to add Aston-Reese to the prospects. Canucks could be a very fast, skilled team in 2-3 years if all goes right.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Apparently the Canucks are on hi short list, and I would think Vancouver would be an attractive place to play for a young guy. Canucks are rebuilding and putting younger players into the lineup. Would love to add Aston-Reese to the prospects. Canucks could be a very fast, skilled team in 2-3 years if all goes right.

Oilers will tell every college free agent they will have the opportunity to play with Connor Mcjesus LOL 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Very optimistic about Canucks chances of signing him JB has done well by signing college players an allowing them legitimate opportunities to play for Canucks.

JB signs him . JB will be elevated to semi-God of prospect signings.

The City is in dire need of more good news this season.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

May you offer up a source please, sir?

Here's something to appease the Tkachuk-enviers:

“I think my game is kinda tough to play against,” the undrafted forward says. “I play both sides of the puck pretty well, I like to play physical. I like to play down low and in the dirty area of the  ice and get puck to the net. I try to get under some guys' skins. It's all part of my game. That's what I pride myself on.”

This would mesh well with the smaller skill guys we have coming in.  Maybe JB had some foresight here after all...

"He's a smart 200-foot kind of a guy," says Kirk Luedeke, a scout with Red Line Report. "He doesn't have a ton of size, but he plays bigger. He's heavy on pucks, he's responsible, he's diligent, he works hard along the walls and he goes to the dirty areas and he's got some jam. The offense has really come up in the last couple of seasons, especially this season, that's what's getting a lot of people's attentions, but the foundation is there."

"Let's say you're an NHL team and you sign him and he makes your team right away," Luedeke says. "Even if he's not playing on a scoring line right and producing points for you, he's probably doing some really good things on your bottom six or bottom line, and he's the kind of guy that can work his way up because he's smart and he's industrious. "

(source: http://www.si.com/nhl/2017/03/03/zach-aston-reese-northeastern-ncaa-free-agent-scouting)

I'm glad he's not going to waste his time visiting cities and dragging everything out. Just goes to show that he knows what he's looking for in a team instead waiting for Gretzky to make his decision for him.

We could use more guys with size that can produce offensively. Even if he's not the driver of the offense and works off talented players, that is just fine now that we have acquired more skilled (but smaller) players. I do believe if he signs with the Canucks that he would benefit most with a year in the AHL before making the jump to the NHL as he seems like a player that progresses more over time, so the gradual transition to the NHL would be better for his confidence and to ease his way into our demanding market.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm glad he's not going to waste his time visiting cities and dragging everything out. Just goes to show that he knows what he's looking for in a team instead waiting for Gretzky to make his decision for him.

We could use more guys with size that can produce offensively. Even if he's not the driver of the offense and works off talented players, that is just fine now that we have acquired more skilled (but smaller) players. I do believe if he signs with the Canucks that he would benefit most with a year in the AHL before making the jump to the NHL as he seems like a player that progresses more over time, so the gradual transition to the NHL would be better for his confidence and to ease his way into our demanding market.

But if he visits cities like Caggiula they get treated to like couple hundred dollar meals. As an added bonus everyone treats u like a king for the day too (well kinda) xD 

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we snag him and get him into Utica next year with Boeser and Gaudette we're going to have a hell of a team over there. One more year and that NCAA trio will join the Canucks. Could pretty much leave them as a line. Possibly immediate 1st line right there. Instant Sedin replacement.

More realistically though, Gaudette's had a great year and Aston-Reese has put up scary offensive numbers but I see him as a 2nd line scoring winger at best. Would be smart to put Boeser with Horvat and Granlund, and Gaudette and Aston-Reese with someone with a bit of grit like say Virtanen. Leaves us with Granlund and Goldobin to form another decent tertiary scoring line.

Boeser Horvat Baertschi

Gaudette Aston Reese Virtanen 

Eriksson granlund goldobin 

This is one situation where being a bad team is an advantage.  His chances of cracking the line up here are considerably higher than many other teams. It's  probably why Justin Schultz chose to go to the oilers a few years back.... he knew he could make the team due to their lack of depth. 

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Boeser Horvat Baertschi

Gaudette Aston Reese Virtanen 

Eriksson granlund goldobin 

Throw Dahlen into the mix there, pretty highly skilled but small top-6 forward. This team is really getting stacked with 2nd line skill which isn't a bad thing.

To be honest I think Aston-Reese is obviously getting padded stats considering he's 22 playing amongst mainly 20 year olds, but his trajectory when he was younger has been nothing but up. He should be AHL if not NHL ready by now, but I'd say his ceiling really is 2nd line center - don't see star first line center material from him. Hopefully Horvat can carry that weight which is a tall ask.

The big knock on Aston-Reese is that he's a bit slow, big/bulky/heavy forward without that elite offensive skill. I wouldn't be surprised if we somehow snag him to split he and Gaudette as centers and have Gaudette at 2C and ZAR at 3C if they pan out perfectly. Otherwise, I'd like to see this in 2-3 years:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Goldobin - Gaudette - Virtanen

Dahlen - Sutter - Aston-Reese

UFA vet - Gaunce - ?

Virtanen and ZAR are interchangeable. Gives us just another big strong gritty player who can at least put up points, and would complement the skilled guys Benning has gone out and acquired recently (Goldobin, Dahlen).

47 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Throw Dahlen into the mix there, pretty highly skilled but small top-6 forward. This team is really getting stacked with 2nd line skill which isn't a bad thing.

To be honest I think Aston-Reese is obviously getting padded stats considering he's 22 playing amongst mainly 20 year olds, but his trajectory when he was younger has been nothing but up. He should be AHL if not NHL ready by now, but I'd say his ceiling really is 2nd line center - don't see star first line center material from him. Hopefully Horvat can carry that weight which is a tall ask.

The big knock on Aston-Reese is that he's a bit slow, big/bulky/heavy forward without that elite offensive skill. I wouldn't be surprised if we somehow snag him to split he and Gaudette as centers and have Gaudette at 2C and ZAR at 3C if they pan out perfectly. Otherwise, I'd like to see this in 2-3 years:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Goldobin - Gaudette - Virtanen

Dahlen - Sutter - Aston-Reese

UFA vet - Gaunce - ?

Virtanen and ZAR are interchangeable. Gives us just another big strong gritty player who can at least put up points, and would complement the skilled guys Benning has gone out and acquired recently (Goldobin, Dahlen).

Damn you're right forgot dahlen

Archived