The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Drew Shore [1 year x 600k]

Visp

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have signed forward Drew Shore for the remainder of the 2016.17 season.

Shore, 26, earned a team-high 48 points and 24 goals in 50 games for Kloten HC of the Swiss-A League this season. His 24 assists on the year ranks second on the team. In 2015.16, the 6-3, 200-pound forward appeared in two games for the Calgary Flames (0-1-1) and 59 games for the AHL Stockton Heat (10-28-38). His 28 assists led all Heat skaters while his 38 points ranked fourth on the team. In 80 career NHL games split between Calgary and Florida, Shore has collected 24 points (9-15-24) and 24 penalty minutes.

Before making his professional debut in 2012, Shore skated in 123 games with the University of Denver, registering 118 points (50-68-118). He helped Denver to three consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances during his three-year career.

A native of Littleton, Colorado, Shore was selected by Florida in the second round, 44th overall, at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.__________

Update- has cleared waivers and joined Canucks on a one way 600k prorated deal. 

This is kind of odd. I don't know why he would want to join the team for a such a very short period of time. Has Benning been talking to him about a possible contract for next year? Just wants to play hockey? 

5 minutes ago, Visp said:

Apparently, with Kloten securing their spot in the NLA, Shore is now free to leave and might already fly to Canada on Sunday. However, as this would be a transaction made after the trade deadline, Shore would not be eligible to play in the playoffs for the Canucks.

That made me chuckle just a little. On another note, free stuff is good even if it doesn't work out. I honestly don't remember him from the Flames or Panthers.

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Looked pretty promising when he was on the Panthers.  Plays a 200 foot game and should be an immediate upgrade over Megna.

Shoot for the stars and you'll reach the sky.

In this case, the bar for 'upgrade over Megna' is quite low. As in the bar has been gently placed on the ground for someone to casually step over.

Looks like a warm body to help prevent us from raiding Utica's cupboards down the stretch unless the players get polio next or something. He seemed like a decent prospect not too long ago so maybe there's still something there. As long as we don't have to play a d-man at forward anymore, I'm good with that, although I'd be disappointed if everyone got healthy and the extra body meant Boucher/Goldobin being scratched.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed how stacked the Kloten roster is with Canucks cast-offs. Santala, Sanguinetti, and James Sheppard? :lol:

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Looked pretty promising when he was on the Panthers.  Plays a 200 foot game and should be an immediate upgrade over Megna.

Hey! Who did I say that about?

I assume it's the guy in your sig but I can't quite make out who it is

I'm thinking he gets the rest of the season so the team can shut down Sutter. He's been playing injured, and it's not helping anyone.

This should also send the message to other fringe NHLers, be it in European leages or pending College FAs that the Canucks are looking for help. Maybe help lure Ashton-Reese and others over. 

1 hour ago, terrible.dee said:

What with Benning and the oddly timed transactions?

Last year a trade during the playoffs and now this

Benning's transactions are not oddly timed; you're just not used to it because Gillis couldn't find his way into a trade.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm thinking he gets the rest of the season so the team can shut down Sutter. He's been playing injured, and it's not helping anyone.

This should also send the message to other fringe NHLers, be it in European leages or pending College FAs that the Canucks are looking for help. Maybe help lure Ashton-Reese and others over. 

Shut down tanev too. <3 

1 hour ago, brownky said:

Shoot for the stars and you'll reach the sky.

In this case, the bar for 'upgrade over Megna' is quite low. As in the bar has been gently placed on the ground for someone to casually step over.

but with this team........

3 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

What with Benning and the oddly timed transactions?

Last year a trade during the playoffs and now this

In the same newspaper: Kloten have only just finished their play-outs (not playoffs). Shore's contract has expired as of yesterday. This transaction happened at the earliest.
But at this point it's still a rumour. 

If he is a Sutter replacement then we are honestly in for some more losses. I think Chaput might actually be better than him. But I'm interested in watching him if he plays a couple of games. It's his chance to prove himself.

Archived