The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

P.E.I. Wiped Off The Map

nucklehead

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/a-fresh-indignity-for-the-smallest-province/ar-AAob5Vd?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

Seems PEI is the Rodney Dangerfield of Canada

P.E.I. is smaller than Algonquin park, and has fewer residents than Oakville, Ont., so it's used to being overlooked from time to time.

But Islanders are facing a fresh indignity: being wiped off the map — several of them.

The Hudson's Bay Company was recently caught selling T-shirts and onesies featuring a map of Canada without P.E.I., while a world map at the Vancouver airport similarly omits the island Anne Shirley made famous.

As well, a feature map in the Canadian Automobile Association's magazine highlighting some of Canada's historically rich destinations for its 150th anniversary forgot to label the very cradle of Confederation.

"We shouldn't be playing 'Where's Waldo' with a Canadian province," says Marie Gilchrist, an Ontario native who retired to P.E.I. with her husband.

She says she noticed the Vancouver airport's incomplete map as she was going through security on her way back to Charlottetown. She wrote a letter to the airport expressing her dismay and didn't hear back for two months, she says.

A spokesperson for the Vancouver Airport Authority says the graphic is meant to show the places travellers can fly to directly from the airport — but says the route map is being replaced to make it "more accurate."

"It is unfortunate P.E.I. was mistakenly left off the graphic," Christopher Richards wrote in an email. "We recognize the importance of P.E.I. in Canadian history and hope our two provinces can one day be joined by direct flights to better connect British Columbia and P.E.I."

Gary Howard of CAA Atlantic says the "mistake" in its print magazine was corrected on a digital version of the map, and the publication plans to showcase P.E.I. this summer.

Attn SCRABBLE enthusiasts: With PEI, YOU can spell pie!

"Akage No Anne, natsukashii, blah, blah, blah..." I'm so tired of hearing reverential status & fascination from Japanese ladies, on the legend of Anne(Green Gubers) in PEI. It's an indoctrinated cult-thingy, on par with 'The Sound Of Music', over here. Guess I'm proud that the place I'm from has beaut nature; likely a little bitter that I never read the damnstory anywhoo.

So yeah, sorry PEI - it's been a slice!

Confederation never ends. And we all know where it started...right?

The article refers to PEI as the cradle of confederation but I'm not sure why. Seems they were a hold out intent on forging their own country and identity. It was only when their scheme to build a railway put them in hock up to their ears and potato eyes that they came cap in hand to Canada begging to be let in. We cut them a sweet deal which included a bail out of the railway and properties owned by absentee owners and they hopped on board. So, maybe we're still not sure if they really want to be here anyways lol

We also promised them a year round communication link, and just because we're such great guys we build them a bridge too.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Attn SCRABBLE enthusiasts: With PEI, YOU can spell pie!

"Akage No Anne, natsukashii, blah, blah, blah..." I'm so tired of hearing reverential status & fascination from Japanese ladies, on the legend of Anne(Green Gubers) in PEI. It's an indoctrinated cult-thingy, on par with 'The Sound Of Music', over here. Guess I'm proud that the place I'm from has beaut nature; likely a little bitter that I never read the damnstory anywhoo.

So yeah, sorry PEI - it's been a slice!

An anime based on Anne of Green Gables? I will have to give this a try.

1 hour ago, nucklehead said:

Confederation never ends. And we all know where it started...right?

The article refers to PEI as the cradle of confederation but I'm not sure why. Seems they were a hold out intent on forging their own country and identity. It was only when their scheme to build a railway put them in hock up to their ears and potato eyes that they came cap in hand to Canada begging to be let in. We cut them a sweet deal which included a bail out of the railway and properties owned by absentee owners and they hopped on board. So, maybe we're still not sure if they really want to be here anyways lol

We also promised them a year round communication link, and just because we're such great guys we build them a bridge too.

Dude, did you not learn Canadian history?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlottetown_Conference

3 hours ago, Neil HD said:

An anime based on Anne of Green Gables? I will have to give this a try.

That's pretty much the primary reason a lot of Japanese international students go to PEI. 

My wife is suggesting we also visit there.  I'm more like.... PEI?  What the heck is even over there?  Rustic looking booneys?

Archived