The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks to Sign NCAA or Junior Overage Defenseman Tomorrow

Pears

39 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Isn't Edler locked in with a no move clause? He'd be my candidate to expose if not. Not that it would be pain free to lose him but you're going to lose something and he's prematurely declined in his play significantly.

NTC not NMC (as noted in a post above)

I won't dispute the fact that we've seen some decline with Edler. And it may very well be the time to consider moving away from him and looking at younger options to replace his role in the lineup.

But here's what I keep coming back to, when it comes to the idea of exposing Edler.

If you were to look at trades, who has the most value? And I mean right now, like today.

Gaunce, Sbisa, or Edler?

I think the answer is obvious.

If you put all three on the market, Edler would IMO command the largest return, and by a significant margin.

So exposing Edler to protect Sbisa (and protect Gaunce by extension, assuming Edler would get claimed) just doesn't make good sense to me.

I get the idea, when it comes to this team's future, of preferring to lose Edler over the others. There's a sense that Edler's value might be moving in an opposite direction to Sbisa and Gaunce. So there's some forward thinking to the idea of keeping the guys with more upside and cutting bait on the declining asset.

What I don't get is the why people would support simply exposing Edler to the expansion draft.

To me, this is a "cut off the nose to spite the face" type of reaction to our current circumstances re: the expansion draft.

It's true that Edler has generally been very resistant to the idea of waiving his NTC. In the past, he's said he'd outright block any attempt to trade him. However, his more recent statements on the matter have shifted in tone. He now seems to be an "if they don't want me, I won't stick around" type of guy who would likely accommodate a trade, if he was asked. And the threat of the expansion draft likely means he'd be even more willing to "play ball" if approached, so that he could have some control over his destination.

Personally, I don't think Edler would be the least bit difficult to move, if he was willing waive and provide a decent list. I'd expect several teams would be very interested and a finding a suitable trading partner would be a fairly easy task.

And I tend to believe Edler would still yield a tidy return (albeit less than he'd have brought a few years ago).

Even if the market on Edler is less than I believe, I can't see how we couldn't get at least some sort of return on him. Getting "robbed" on the trade is still better than simply dumping him for nothing via the expansion draft. 

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

NTC not NMC (as noted in a post above)

I won't dispute the fact that we've seen some decline with Edler. And it may very well be the time to consider moving away from him and looking at younger options to replace his role in the lineup.

But here's what I keep coming back to, when it comes to the idea of exposing Edler.

If you were to look at trades, who has the most value? And I mean right now, like today.

Gaunce, Sbisa, or Edler?

I think the answer is obvious.

If you put all three on the market, Edler would IMO command the largest return, and by a significant margin.

So exposing Edler to protect Sbisa (and protect Gaunce by extension, assuming Edler would get claimed) just doesn't make good sense to me.

I get the idea, when it comes to this team's future, of preferring to lose Edler over the others. There's a sense that Edler's value might be moving in an opposite direction to Sbisa and Gaunce. So there's some forward thinking to the idea of keeping the guys with more upside and cutting bait on the declining asset.

What I don't get is the why people would support simply exposing Edler to the expansion draft.

To me, this is a "cut off the nose to spite the face" type of reaction to our current circumstances re: the expansion draft.

It's true that Edler has generally been very resistant to the idea of waiving his NTC. In the past, he's said he'd outright block any attempt to trade him. However, his more recent statements on the matter have shifted in tone. He now seems to be an "if they don't want me, I won't stick around" type of guy who would likely accommodate a trade, if he was asked. And the threat of the expansion draft likely means he'd be even more willing to "play ball" if approached, so that he could have some control over his destination.

Personally, I don't think Edler would be the least bit difficult to move, if he was willing waive and provide a decent list. I'd expect several teams would be very interested and a finding a suitable trading partner would be a fairly easy task.

And I tend to believe Edler would still yield a tidy return (albeit less than he'd have brought a few years ago).

Even if the market on Edler is less than I believe, I can't see how we couldn't get at least some sort of return on him. Getting "robbed" on the trade is still better than simply dumping him for nothing via the expansion draft. 

I hate to keep playing the role of the rube here, but again, I'm surprised Guance has crept his way into the conversation. What would be the possible motivation for protecting him at Sbisa's, Edler's or any other roster player's expense? And isn't he exmpt from the proceedings by virtue of the fact that's still on an ELC?

Again, just wonderin'?

2 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I hate to keep playing the role of the rube here, but again, I'm surprised Guance has crept his way into the conversation. What would be the possible motivation for protecting him at Sbisa's, Edler's or any other roster player's expense? And isn't he exmpt from the proceedings by virtue of the fact that's still on an ELC?

Again, just wonderin'?

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

Just now, Salmonberries said:

Thanks brothaman.

Hah no worries! And to answer your question, I guess because people think Gaunce has more value than Sbisa? (I don't think Edler should even be considered as someone to expose)

The fact that JB managed to attract another dman here suggests he maybe promised it wouldn't be as crowded come next year? Maybe he does plan to protect Gaunce after all 

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

Hah no worries! And to answer your question, I guess because people think Gaunce has more value than Sbisa? (I don't think Edler should even be considered as someone to expose)

The fact that JB managed to attract another dman here suggests he maybe promised it wouldn't be as crowded come next year? Maybe he does plan to protect Gaunce after all 

I guess I just don't see the reason to protect Guance in just about any possible scenario. I can't imagine McPhee and co see anything there in what has become abundant viewing opportunity this year. Remember his draft position in 2012 is immaterial to them, sentimentality doesn't come into it from their prospective.

Just now, Salmonberries said:

I guess I just don't see the reason to protect Guance in just about any possible scenario. I can't imagine McPhee and co see anything there in what has become abundant viewing opportunity this year. Remember his draft position in 2012 is immaterial to them, sentimentality doesn't come into it from their prospective.

I did just realize this discussion is also sort of pointless since we can't protect Sbisa even if we wanted to.. :lol: (unless exposing Tanev, Edler or Guddy)

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

I did just realize this discussion is also sort of pointless since we can't protect Sbisa even if we wanted to.. :lol: (unless exposing Tanev, Edler or Guddy)

Yeah, it really boils down to exposing Edler or Sbisa at the end of the day doesn't it. Unless we trade one.

11 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Yeah, it really boils down to exposing Edler or Sbisa at the end of the day doesn't it. Unless we trade one.

Ya and at that point I'm not sure what return we could get, trying to get a GM to pay for an asset they know we are about to lose..

29 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

What is the purpose of protecting a guy like Gaunce.....0 goals in 75 games. Anyone can do that.

Just now, 'NucK™ said:

Ya and at that point I'm not sure what return we could get, trying to get a GM to pay for an asset they know we are about to lose..

I've been assuming all season that  Sbisa was going to be 'that guy' but lately I've come to think that we'd probably be better off long term protecting Luca at Edler's expense. And Edler is a right bad fit for Vegas given his rapidly diminishing game. I can imagine McPhee being considerably less than delighted at the prospect of taking him on for what would in all likelihood be a one and done situation there. Sbisa I can see playing for them for five years.

4 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

What is the purpose of protecting a guy like Gaunce.....0 goals in 75 games. Anyone can do that.

Yeah, once you remove the sentimentality involved with him being a first round pick for us (albeit a late one in a weak draft) there really isn't much game to see there in Guance. I'd be amazed if Vegas was remotely interested in what is there.

8 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Yes anyone can do that but there are lots of other things that Gaunce does well. 

Some players just need to find their scoring touch, and I refuse to write off a 22 year old who does a lot of things on the ice right and has a decent shot. 

4 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I've been assuming all season that  Sbisa was going to be 'that guy' but lately I've come to think that we'd probably be better off long term protecting Luca at Edler's expense. And Edler is a right bad fit for Vegas given his rapidly diminishing game. I can imagine McPhee being considerably less than delighted at the prospect of taking him on for what would in all likelihood be a one and done situation there. Sbisa I can see playing for them for five years.

Very true.. I do think Sbisa may have more value to the Canucks over the next 5 years.

Archived