The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks to Sign NCAA or Junior Overage Defenseman Tomorrow

Pears

43 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Yeah, it really boils down to exposing Edler or Sbisa at the end of the day doesn't it. Unless we trade one.

Each one has benefits to move, benefits to keep. Really either way we're OK. 

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It's true that Edler has generally been very resistant to the idea of waiving his NTC. In the past, he's said he'd outright block any attempt to trade him. However, his more recent statements on the matter have shifted in tone. He now seems to be an "if they don't want me, I won't stick around" type of guy who would likely accommodate a trade, if he was asked. And the threat of the expansion draft likely means he'd be even more willing to "play ball" if approached, so that he could have some control over his destination.

Personally, I don't think Edler would be the least bit difficult to move, if he was willing waive and provide a decent list. I'd expect several teams would be very interested and a finding a suitable trading partner would be a fairly easy task.

And I tend to believe Edler would still yield a tidy return (albeit less than he'd have brought a few years ago).

Even if the market on Edler is less than I believe, I can't see how we couldn't get at least some sort of return on him. Getting "robbed" on the trade is still better than simply dumping him for nothing via the expansion draft. 

When Edler made the comment about refusing to waive his NTC, it was pretty much right after he had signed it, I believe in response to the leaked trade that Gillis had worked out with Boston.  But it was after Garrison was forced out that Edler mirrored Jason's comment about not staying if not wanted.  Since then we've also seen Bieksa waive his NTC and now Burrows.  Benning specifically said that they would move out assets "before they became diminishing".  I said at the time that sounded like Hansen and Edler.

Despite some of his play on the ice, Edler is no dummy -- he like all the players sees what's going on.  It's just him and the Sedins left now, and like the rest of us he's seen their play fall off this season and knows they are probably on their last year coming up.  His days here are numbered, and if Benning worked out a deal to a place he wasn't averse to I think he takes it and moves on.  He's up in two years and needs to strike it big on what will likely be his last big contract.

31 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Yeah, once you remove the sentimentality involved with him being a first round pick for us (albeit a late one in a weak draft) there really isn't much game to see there in Guance. I'd be amazed if Vegas was remotely interested in what is there.

Those of us who've followed his development see it differently.  He went from a slow meh never-was to one of Utica's top forwards, not just in scoring but all-around game.  We've projected him as a direct Higgins replacement -- skates well, good shot, reliable two-way play, PKer, plus better size and can play C.  He also has character and leadership qualities and at the high end could be a Bo-lite type of player.  In just two games elevated to Sutter's line it was quote apparent he has more to bring than a 4th line plugger.  Sure you could say "just sign a guy like that" but we don't know his full upside yet, and after 5 years of development would be a shame to just cast it off at the point of cashing in.

36 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

When Edler made the comment about refusing to waive his NTC, it was pretty much right after he had signed it, I believe in response to the leaked trade that Gillis had worked out with Boston.  But it was after Garrison was forced out that Edler mirrored Jason's comment about not staying if not wanted.  Since then we've also seen Bieksa waive his NTC and now Burrows.  Benning specifically said that they would move out assets "before they became diminishing".  I said at the time that sounded like Hansen and Edler.

Despite some of his play on the ice, Edler is no dummy -- he like all the players sees what's going on.  It's just him and the Sedins left now, and like the rest of us he's seen their play fall off this season and knows they are probably on their last year coming up.  His days here are numbered, and if Benning worked out a deal to a place he wasn't averse to I think he takes it and moves on.  He's up in two years and needs to strike it big on what will likely be his last big contract.

Kesler also waived. Hamhuis waived for Dallas but they went kris russell at the last moment. The last thing aging guys want to do is refuse to waive, when the team is a bottom 10 team in the league if they get a chance for playoffs and to win.

Sedins being the exception, they're franchise players.... but if Danny gets his 1000th point by February next year and we're out of it again, I would not be surprised to see them waive at the deadline on the condition that they go together. They would make a nice second line on a contender somewhere I'm sure.

27 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Those of us who've followed his development see it differently.  He went from a slow meh never-was to one of Utica's top forwards, not just in scoring but all-around game.  We've projected him as a direct Higgins replacement -- skates well, good shot, reliable two-way play, PKer, plus better size and can play C.  He also has character and leadership qualities and at the high end could be a Bo-lite type of player.  In just two games elevated to Sutter's line it was quote apparent he has more to bring than a 4th line plugger.  Sure you could say "just sign a guy like that" but we don't know his full upside yet, and after 5 years of development would be a shame to just cast it off at the point of cashing in.

I see potential in Gaunce, but his numbers are terrible.  I'm sure that LV is not scouting him close enough to see the potential in him that many of us that have watched every Canuck game see in him.  He is a great teammate and room guy, but the only player that LV would even be interested on the Canucks is Sbisa.  Sbisa has had a good year, but a so so Canuck career.  I'd be perfectly fine losing him to LV.  We are going to lose somebody.  I'm with SID... exposing Edler makes no sense?  If Edler's time is up.... you move him in a trade.  

1 minute ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I see potential in Gaunce, but his numbers are terrible.  I'm sure that LV is not scouting him close enough to see the potential in him that many of us that have watched every Canuck game see in him.  He is a great teammate and room guy, but the only player that LV would even be interested on the Canucks is Sbisa.  Sbisa has had a good year, but a so so Canuck career.  I'd be perfectly fine losing him to LV.  We are going to lose somebody.  I'm with SID... exposing Edler makes no sense?  If Edler's time is up.... you move him in a trade.  

Is there still demand for Edler though? A 5m/ year defenseman with -11 and 16 points who consistently provides the other team with 2-3 good scoring chances every game? What would the return on that be? This is not pre 2012 Edler remember...

39 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I don't see him as a Higgins replacement. I see him as a 3rd line checker at best. But he has shown the odd bit of fire when he gets mad. If he could learn to play with that all the time he might be a keeper. It's to tough to say... he's the type of player that could fall of the map completely. Jordan Schroeder v2.0.

39 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I get the sentimental attachment, I really do. As five year development projects go though, I'd prefer more of a payoff down the line than a 'versatile' fourth liner with 'intangibles'. Actually, I don't really even see enough of any one thing there for him to cement himself into a permanent fourth line role. Right now I've got Cramarossa and Chaput and Skille all ahead of him for a spot there and that's without even looking around on the open market this summer. I'd also much prefer keeping Boucher around though he doesn't really fit a fourth line role.

30 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I get the sentimental attachment, I really do. As five year development projects go though, I'd prefer more of a payoff down the line than a 'versatile' fourth liner with 'intangibles'. Actually, I don't really even see enough of any one thing there for him to cement himself into a permanent fourth line role. Right now I've got Cramarossa and Chaput and Skille all ahead of him for a spot there and that's without even looking around on the open market this summer. I'd also much prefer keeping Boucher around though he doesn't really fit a fourth line role.

Actually no sentimentality, just looking at projections.  Likewise took a while for his offense to get going when he first got to the AHL, but it's not just all about the numbers.  He brings more to the table than that.  Chaput's similar in size and gameplay and not impressive in numbers either, but is two years older -- I'd like to see how they compare after Gaunce has those and his extra 50 NHL games.  If I had to make a choice, not sure who I'd take as I like them both.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think @Setyoureyesontheprize had it right, it's Jimmy Schuldt. His season is over, and his brother plays for the Langley Rivermen. Schuldt received offers from 8 development camps in the summer, and attended Blackhawks/Islanders camps. We could well have been among the teams interested.

Who needs Justin Schultz when you can sign Jimmy Schuldt?

Benning really one upping Gillis if true.

4 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Him and Pionk are still playing no? cant be them

wonder if its Garret Cockerill. he is playing in his junior year

6' 205lbs RD

he sure isn't playing anymore this season

Nice, there's one for he NHL all name team.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Actually no sentimentality, just looking at projections.  Likewise took a while for his offense to get going when he first got to the AHL, but it's not just all about the numbers.  He brings more to the table than that.  Chaput's similar in size and gameplay and not impressive in numbers either, but is two years older -- I'd like to see how they compare after Gaunce has those and his extra 50 NHL games.  If I had to make a choice, not sure who I'd take as I like them both.

I guess Nashville waited a full six years to get Austin Watson into the lineup as well (two in the OHL -- four in the AHL). He seems to bring some toughness and sandpaper to a fourth line rw role for them this year as well as some good skating but it seemingly took his clearing waivers for a fourth year in the AHL for him to find that toughness element within himself this year.. I'm sure they were hoping for more, but will settle for what they have there. And they have the prospect depth to wait as long as it takes. Now if Gaunce were to find religion in his AHL journey and become a glove dropper a la Watson that'd be an unexpected and a welcome development and would alter the discussion about him considerably.

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Is there still demand for Edler though? A 5m/ year defenseman with -11 and 16 points who consistently provides the other team with 2-3 good scoring chances every game? What would the return on that be? This is not pre 2012 Edler remember...

This sounds very much like the attitude towards Burrows after last season ended and several people would've been happy to just buy him out. Not even a full season later, we trade him for a top end 2nd rounder with multiple teams asking for him. A lot of people here seem to love the sell low, buy high method which makes absolutely no sense and is what a desperate GM would do.

Even if Edler doesn't bounce back, he is a veteran that has Stanley Cup finals experience that is a good role model for our young prospects as shown by Stetcher's praise and on-ice play. He is only 31 heading into next season and could easily have 5+ more seasons left in him.

Going waaaay out on a limb here,.  

Josh Thrower was at the Canucks Development Camp a couple of years ago, his present Coach is Tim Hunter, Josh is a hard nosed, hard hitting D man, good skater, great shot, playing with the Moose Jaw Warriors.

Thrower had 19 pts last season, and presently has the same this season.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=149607

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/17977 

Archived