The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Moving Forward

I felt this should be in proposal forum since it basically IS just that.

Alot of far fetched ideas but ideas that I'm sure alot here could agree with.

I do believe that we aren't that far off of where we are trying to get to as far as "transition" is concerned, but we DO seem to have key pieces in place.

These are the moves I would like to make after the expansion draft and going into the draft and free agency period that could set this team up very well.

First...needing to figure a way to get rid of Eriksson and his huge cap hit. If there was one true blunder signing, it's this. 6mil for 2/3 years sure, I can live with that. A transition signing until our young core is set to mature just like 8/9 years ago when Gillis signed Dmitra and Sundin.  6 years is way to long, need to free ourselves from that. 

2nd- Need to find a taker for Edler. He, like the Sedins has been great but thanks for the memories, time to go. Too many blunders, bad back, is getting slower thus taking stupid penalties. Yes he provides leadership but I have a way to solve that later on. If Burrows/Hansen can fetch good prospects then it's hard not to think Edler can't make the same even if we need to retain or take on another contract but with much shorter term.

3rd- Find a taker for Broken Sutter. Benning needs to ask for his list of 13 teams he WON'T go to. That leaves 17 or so to shop him around to. Should fetch a 2nd and a prospect. At the presser, Benning can say "Hey, our scouting staff expected more but sorry he didn't produce but hey, we got "this" in return and we are happy with it." Fans here will applaud him for having the stones to do that.

4... Re-sign Gudbranson to a one year deal for his qualifying offer and no "no-trade" clause. After the rough year he has had, I'm sure he would be lucky/happy with $4mil. If he drastically improves then sign him to his big contract. If he only marginally improves, move him at next year's deadline. I'm sure he too could fetch a decent return

5..Package Tanev+#31 (assuming SJ wins the cup) should get us a decent young center for that package.

Galchenyuk

Eriksson-Ek 

Duchene

Drouin 

Landeskog 

Or something in that mold. 

My money would be on Eriksson-Ek as Minny still has Kunin, Gilmore, and a few other good prospects in their pipeline. 

6..Hog-tie Virtanen into spending the entire summer in Sweden with Sedins actually doing fitness and working out.

When they come back and start next year, they are the 3rd line.

7..Henrik passes the C to Horvat and spends the last year supporting Bo the same way Joe Thornton did for Pavelski.

8. One FA to sign is Karl Alzner. HE will provide the lost leadership of Edler and it will be the same signing as when we signed Hamhuis. THAT was a key signing and just like Hamhuis, Alzner is a local boy with many good years ahead of him....6/7 years at $5-6 seems fair

Next year's line up could look like

Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin

Granlund-Eriksson-Ek-Boucher

Danny/Hank/Virtanen

Labate-Gaunce/Chaput-Cramarossa 

Dorsett 

Alzner-Stecher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-??

Markstrom

Condon

Surely we can find a good D for the 3rd pairing from whatever we get in return from Sutter, Edler, Eriksson. If not then we have cap space to sign a guy we can move at next year's deadline.

Thoughts??

I like the way your thinking but almost none of thats going to happen . Eriksson will be here next year. Sutter will be here. Edler has a no trade but you never know he might waive. Tanev might be traded but I doubt Benning throws in any more picks. Guddy will be resigned, maybe 2 year 4M. Virtanen isn't going to Sweden hahaha. They will never ask Henrik to give up the C and he's not giving it up. Might sign a UFA but it won't be a big name and it will be shorter term.

Ya, a little far fetched.. I enjoyed the read though.

I doubt there's a way to trade Eriksson or Edler... If JB was to threaten to expose Edler (if he didn't waive), maybe?

IMO, Tanev is untouchable for the next couple of years, unless (as JB says) "Someone knocks my socks off".

And you forgot about Boeser on next year's roster.

19 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Ya, a little far fetched.. I enjoyed the read though.

I doubt there's a way to trade Eriksson or Edler... If JB was to threaten to expose Edler (if he didn't waive), maybe?

IMO, Tanev is untouchable for the next couple of years, unless (as JB says) "Someone knocks my socks off".

And you forgot about Boeser on next year's roster.

I didn't forget about Boeser.. I just don't wish to rush our prospects and therefore I rather have Boeser, Gaudette and other top prospects atleast start the years in Utica.

I would even be tempted to leave Juolevi in London for another year. Certainly wouldn't hurt

I'm sure there is a market for edler. I don't see it being too hard of a task for Benning/Linden to talking Edler into waiving. Even Eriksson but his contract makes him untradeable even without the NMC.

my point is that those 2 need to go to fully do the rebuild.

I'm not so sure Tanev is as untouchable as you think. he doesn't have a NTC and is very marketable.

1 minute ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I didn't forget about Boeser.. I just don't wish to rush our prospects and therefore I rather have Boeser, Gaudette and other top prospects atleast start the years in Utica.

I would even be tempted to leave Juolevi in London for another year. Certainly wouldn't hurt

I'm sure there is a market for edler. I don't see it being too hard of a task for Benning/Linden to talking Edler into waiving. Even Eriksson but his contract makes him untradeable even without the NMC.

I'm not so sure Tanev is as untouchable as you think. he doesn't have a NTC and is very marketable.

As of July 1st, Tanev has a NTC

14 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Okay then

Agreed

I'm sure there is a market for edler. I don't see it being too hard of a task for Benning/Linden to talking Edler into waiving.

Fingers crossed

Even Eriksson but his contract makes him untradeable even without the NMC.

I'm hoping for Eriksson to a bounce back year next season. I'm totally over Edler though

He is our most valuable trade chip, I won't argue on that, but we need him pretty badly. I'd like to see Tanev partnered with Joulevi, grooming etc.. He's the guy to model that calm, smart, defensive awareness 

15 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

In Friedman's 30 thoughts of early March - he quotes Linden indicating that they don't plan on moving Tanev or Edler.  McKenzie has been repeating that since quite some time now.  

It's been several games now where Miller is facing an incredible amount of shots (well over 40 last night again) - it's a sign of a too young D.  

4 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I felt this should be in proposal forum since it basically IS just that.

Alot of far fetched ideas but ideas that I'm sure alot here could agree with.

I do believe that we aren't that far off of where we are trying to get to as far as "transition" is concerned, but we DO seem to have key pieces in place.

These are the moves I would like to make after the expansion draft and going into the draft and free agency period that could set this team up very well.

First...needing to figure a way to get rid of Eriksson and his huge cap hit. If there was one true blunder signing, it's this. 6mil for 2/3 years sure, I can live with that. A transition signing until our young core is set to mature just like 8/9 years ago when Gillis signed Dmitra and Sundin.  6 years is way to long, need to free ourselves from that. 

2nd- Need to find a taker for Edler. He, like the Sedins has been great but thanks for the memories, time to go. Too many blunders, bad back, is getting slower thus taking stupid penalties. Yes he provides leadership but I have a way to solve that later on. If Burrows/Hansen can fetch good prospects then it's hard not to think Edler can't make the same even if we need to retain or take on another contract but with much shorter term.

3rd- Find a taker for Broken Sutter. Benning needs to ask for his list of 13 teams he WON'T go to. That leaves 17 or so to shop him around to. Should fetch a 2nd and a prospect. At the presser, Benning can say "Hey, our scouting staff expected more but sorry he didn't produce but hey, we got "this" in return and we are happy with it." Fans here will applaud him for having the stones to do that.

4... Re-sign Gudbranson to a one year deal for his qualifying offer and no "no-trade" clause. After the rough year he has had, I'm sure he would be lucky/happy with $4mil. If he drastically improves then sign him to his big contract. If he only marginally improves, move him at next year's deadline. I'm sure he too could fetch a decent return

5..Package Tanev+#31 (assuming SJ wins the cup) should get us a decent young center for that package.

Galchenyuk

Eriksson-Ek 

Duchene

Drouin 

Landeskog 

Or something in that mold. 

My money would be on Eriksson-Ek as Minny still has Kunin, Gilmore, and a few other good prospects in their pipeline. 

6..Hog-tie Virtanen into spending the entire summer in Sweden with Sedins actually doing fitness and working out.

When they come back and start next year, they are the 3rd line.

7..Henrik passes the C to Horvat and spends the last year supporting Bo the same way Joe Thornton did for Pavelski.

8. One FA to sign is Karl Alzner. HE will provide the lost leadership of Edler and it will be the same signing as when we signed Hamhuis. THAT was a key signing and just like Hamhuis, Alzner is a local boy with many good years ahead of him....6/7 years at $5-6 seems fair

Next year's line up could look like

Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin

Granlund-Eriksson-Ek-Boucher

Danny/Hank/Virtanen

Labate-Gaunce/Chaput-Cramarossa 

Dorsett 

Alzner-Stecher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-??

Markstrom

Condon

Surely we can find a good D for the 3rd pairing from whatever we get in return from Sutter, Edler, Eriksson. If not then we have cap space to sign a guy we can move at next year's deadline.

Thoughts??

Wheres Tanev in that line up?

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Juolevi needs to play with men, he's done with kids and need to goto Utica or make the big club. The problem with Edler is like kesler, he controls where he goes and that means we won't get market value for him. Tanev is the one in play, he returns the most and leaves Edler to guide our youth.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Okay then

Agreed

Fingers crossed

I'm hoping for Eriksson to a bounce back year next season. I'm totally over Edler though

He is our most valuable trade chip, I won't argue on that, but we need him pretty badly. I'd like to see Tanev partnered with Joulevi, grooming etc.. He's the guy to model that calm, smart, defensive awareness 

Nope, Tanev is our trading chip, most return and we can us Edler to guide Juolevi along with Guddy who will be here along time unless he sinks which I hardly doubt

1 hour ago, mll said:

In Friedman's 30 thoughts of early March - he quotes Linden indicating that they don't plan on moving Tanev or Edler.  McKenzie has been repeating that since quite some time now.  

It's been several games now where Miller is facing an incredible amount of shots (well over 40 last night again) - it's a sign of a too young D.  

Ya ok but our D has been decimated this season with injuries and sickness. One of Edler or Tanev will do as long as Guddy is back and healthty. Lets remember our defence will be a year older next season so we should see improvement from our young guys like Hutton, tryamkin, stretcher and others we have in line.

17 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Juolevi needs to play with men, he's done with kids and need to goto Utica or make the big club. The problem with Edler is like kesler, he controls where he goes and that means we won't get market value for him. Tanev is the one in play, he returns the most and leaves Edler to guide our youth.

I don't believe Juolevi is eligible to join Utica. And that's proposterous that staying in London one more year would be detrimental or useless. Look at guys like Chabot, Zboril, and many other D that get left to get stronger, dominate, and basically develop. Those guys are much better for it now and when they do join AHL they are ready for it. 

Too old for junior, too young to go to minors,  not experienced enough to crack the big team and be a factor when they do get opportunities.

Archived