The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Does Juolevi Stack up? vs D Peers in top 10

Rush17

Are you happy with Juolevi as a pick?  

255 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

When was Hampus Lindholm drafted?

Anyway he's the guy Olli Juolevi has always kind of reminded me of.

He was drafted in 2012 a year before the Seth Jones class. I opted to keep that class out as most of them have made their mark at the nhl level.  Figured it would be better to stick with the top guys from the past 3 drafts.  it just happened to work out that there were 10 D from the past 3 drafts in the top 10.  The 2012 draft was littered with high quality D.

2 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Juolevi is a great prospect but I always wonder where he would have been drafted if he didn't play on a stacked London team or a stacked Finland team.

He got so much exposure because of this I worry it influenced his draft position to be too high. Where would a guy of his skill set been drafted if he didn't play on those teams? Where would he have been drafted if this year was his draft year? I mean he's not even the best defenseman on his team right now.

I think he's got a great skillset to be a solid 2 way guy but I don't think he'll ever be a top pairing guy and he was probably drafted a bit too high. That said if he becomes a Dan Hamhuis type guy then it still was a good pick.

London is a much weaker team this year, and OJ is on the same pace for production, so I think that speaks to his own skill level. Also, +38 last year, +23 to date this year so very solid player here. 

I really don't see why he wouldn't be a top 2 D as yet. There's no glaring omissions in his game unless I'm missing something. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

London is a much weaker team this year, and OJ is on the same pace for production, so I think that speaks to his own skill level. Also, +38 last year, +23 to date this year so very solid player here. 

I really don't see why he wouldn't be a top 2 D as yet. There's no glaring omissions in his game unless I'm missing something

I'd say his only glaring weakness is his lack of intensity and lack of aggressiveness. He plays so casual that he gets burned sometimes or makes turnovers. Also with his skills he could put up a lot more points if he was more aggressive offensively. All I know is that London fans haven't been too happy with his play this year and he get routinely outplayed by Mete. 

Once the stakes get raised I'm sure he will be able to up the intensity of his game (hopefully). 

7 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I'd say his only glaring weakness is his lack of intensity and lack of aggressiveness. He plays so casual that he gets burned sometimes or makes turnovers. Also with his skills he could put up a lot more points if he was more aggressive offensively. All I know is that London fans haven't been too happy with his play this year and he get routinely outplayed by Mete. 

Once the stakes get raised I'm sure he will be able to up the intensity of his game (hopefully). 

I think he probably can. I'd prefer a calm player who has to pick up some intensity to a spaz that can't think the game. 

10 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I really don't see why he wouldn't be a top 2 D as yet. There's no glaring omissions in his game unless I'm missing something. 

I think his comment is fair regarding the teams success being better to showcase OJ.

If London didn't have the line upfront OJ doesn't go on a deep of a playoff run. OJ really boosted his position in the final two playoff rounds where he put up 9 points in 8 games.  In the first 10 games he only had 5 points, If his team got knocked out in the first round like Sergachev and Chychrun's did then Juolevi doesn't get to have all the scouts eyes on him in the memorial cup.  Same thing for the world juniors.  We saw how good the fins were without Laine and Puljujarvi this year,  Without the teams success he doesn't get to show himself off in those big games. 

Now you can't really knock him for being on a good team, and he did show up in those games for the most part, but had Sergachev or Chychrun been on their WJC teams and or had their Junior teams which went to the memorial cup, perhaps their stock would have risen even higher. 

Montreal has got to be happy with their 2016 draft so far, Both Sergachev and Mete are having good eyars in the OHL this year.

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think his comment is fair regarding the teams success being better to showcase OJ.

If London didn't have the line upfront OJ doesn't go on a deep of a playoff run. OJ really boosted his position in the final two playoff rounds where he put up 9 points in 8 games.  In the first 10 games he only had 5 points, If his team got knocked out in the first round like Sergachev and Chychrun's did then Juolevi doesn't get to have all the scouts eyes on him in the memorial cup.  Same thing for the world juniors.  We saw how good the fins were without Laine and Puljujarvi this year,  Without the teams success he doesn't get to show himself off in those big games. 

Now you can't really knock him for being on a good team, and he did show up in those games for the most part, but had Sergachev or Chychrun been on their WJC teams and or had their Junior teams which went to the memorial cup, perhaps their stock would have risen even higher. 

Montreal has got to be happy with their 2016 draft so far, Both Sergachev and Mete are having good eyars in the OHL this year.

I think of OJ more in terms of being a possible elite shot/scoring suppression guy like Tanev, vs a  Shea Weber type with the big body and shot. As a top pairing guy OJs calming play allows another D partner to take more risks.

The difference between OJ and Tanev is I think OJ already has a better pass and shot so I do think he'll be a bigger contributor on scoring that CT. Do I think OJ will dominate games? No, but he'll make us much harder to play against. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think of OJ more in terms of being a possible elite shot/scoring suppression guy like Tanev, vs a  Shea Weber type with the big body and shot. As a top pairing guy OJs calming play allows another D partner to take more risks.

The difference between OJ and Tanev is I think OJ already has a better pass and shot so I do think he'll be a bigger contributor on scoring that CT. Do I think OJ will dominate games? No, but he'll make us much harder to play against. 

I really see OJ as Dan Hamhuis 2.0 (which isn't a bad thing).  That being said, at the end of the day I don't OJ will be the best defense men coming out of the 2016 draft class.

i'm on board with posters saying that juolevi will be a solid dman for us for many years to come. 

but compared to werenski and provorov, there's no comparison. those dman are elite franchise dman. they're doing things, i'm hoping juolevi will be able to do for us when he starts wearing the blue and green. 

edit: provorov with 24 points to date. damn. werenski with 41 points. as a dman!!!! 

18 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

I personally think his top potential is the clear number 2 guy which would be fine where he was drafted and what is ceiling is. 

We'll still need to find a bonafide number 1 lest we put him in the same situation we did with Edler in his time here. 

This is not to say it's impossible he becomes that guy but he would have to exceed his draft potential a great deal and that's too much to hope for or expect.

Joulevi is the prefect sidekick for a Jovo like high risk high reward pick. He is a Tanev with better offence. I would be happy if he can become that kind of number 2 defender.  He can still run a PP and make plays, but his smarts and skating allow him to cover off his partner. 

This lets another player later come in and be the high risk guy that drives the play more.  

It it means that our future number one guy could be a Keith instead of a Doughty.  To get a Doughty, you have to win the lottery, to get Kieth, you have to just be smart. 

20 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Juolevi can get concussions to yenno. 

19 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Best if our kids delay this unfortunate occurrence as long as possible. Like Lindros & Pronger, some pretty major, impressive careers have been toppled. Don't really like how the league has inadequately addressed the issue, either.

As Juolevi does not play a physical game and has very good on-ice awareness, he is less likely to have concussion problems. It could still happen of course, but I don't mind having high skill players who are not physical (like the Sedins). Every good team needs some physical presence I would prefer it to come from bottom 6 forwards and third pairing D's. First, within-game, playing a tough physical game is tiring and leaves less gas in the tank for key offensive plays. Second, of course, you don't want your high skill guys getting injured. We don't like to see anyone get injured but the team can live with an injury to Dorsett more easily than an injury to Henrik or Horvat.

Horvat is physically strong and not afraid of anyone out there, but I don't want to see him make a lot of hits or getting in fights.

6 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I really see OJ as Dan Hamhuis 2.0 (which isn't a bad thing).  That being said, at the end of the day I don't OJ will be the best defense men coming out of the 2016 draft class.

who do you think will be then? 

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Joulevi is the prefect sidekick for a Jovo like high risk high reward pick. He is a Tanev with better offence. I would be happy if he can become that kind of number 2 defender.  He can still run a PP and make plays, but his smarts and skating allow him to cover off his partner. 

This lets another player later come in and be the high risk guy that drives the play more.  

It it means that our future number one guy could be a Keith instead of a Doughty.  To get a Doughty, you have to win the lottery, to get Kieth, you have to just be smart. 

and lucky

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

who do you think will be then? 

It's really hard to tell right now, there's still a lot of young players still developing and progressing. The first D picked (who were not locks in the top 2) don't typically end up being the best D in the draft.   It's hard not to expect at least one of the D picked that year to end up being a game changer. Where I just don't see that in Juolevi, reliable and consistent, but not game changing.  Still a very important piece to a team.

There are more than a few Norris trophy winners that came from the later rounds and more than a few busts from the 1rst round.

All that can be said for certain is that if he isn't good out of the chute, management can sell him improving as a prospect for a number of years, defence men after all, take longer to develop. A safe pick.

On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 5:16 PM, BI3KSALLENT said:

Current Talent:

1) Ekblad (Future captain, big body, great attitude he's exactly what I would want in a D-Man)

2) Jones (He was sheltered a little in Nashville, but he's now finally showing how great a D he is)

3) Werenski (The things he's doing as a rookie are completely amazing could possibly reach 50pts in his first season. Truly remarkable)

4) Ristolainen (He's a great defenseman, big man, big shot, can eat minutes for a living. Easy choice for 4th)

5) Provorov (His potential could be out of this world. If he translates he could be one of the best D on this list)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potential

6) Juolevi/Sergechev (Both could potentially be top pairing d-men with Serg being the more offensive of the two. Higher ceiling for Sergechev, higher floor for Juolevi. Too early to call who's better.

7) Juolevi/Sergechev (refer above)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Lack of Progression

8) Hanifin (His scoring hasn't translated yet, but he'll be a solid 30-40pt guy in a few years. Solid defensively)

9) Nurse (Hasn't really solidified a spot in the league yet. Physical beast but his scoring hasn't translated yet. Could be a solid defense d-man. 

10) Fleury (Hasn't cracked a spot in the big leagues yet and his scoring in the A isn't looking pretty)

Smart summary. Look no reasonable expectation for Juolevi to be a number 1.  No one not even Benning suggests it.

So realistically he's a 2 to 4. 

In hindsight did Benning pick the right guy (Tkachuk?).

1. Yes, because he's one of the players I was okay with taking, but I don't think he'll be the best choice

2. Yes, but McAvoy and Sergachev will be almost as good, and some will argue they're better

3. No. Jones, Werenski, and Hanifin are much better

4. No, I think that's too much to hope for, but he'll be our #1

5. I think his stats were padded just a bit

Here's how I rank those 10 dmen based on how good I think they will be:

1. Werenski - high-end #1 dman

2. Jones - #1 dman

3. Hanifin - #1 dman

4. Ristolainen - #1 dman, will be higher on this list if his offense reaches elite levels

5. Ekblad - #1 dman

6. Provorov - low-end #1 dman

7. Juolevi - #2 dman (Lindholm and Hamhuis are good comparisons)

8. Sergachev - #2 dman (more offensive than Juolevi but less defensive)

9. Fleury - developing slowly but I think he'll be a #4 dman

10. Nurse - hasn't shown much to suggest he'll be anything more than a #4/5 dman

Archived