The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jalen Chatfield

On 2017-03-13 at 3:17 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brock Otten ranked him 9th on his list of the top overage free agents in the OHL:

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/01/sunday-top-10-overagers-worth-signing.html?m=1

9. Jalen Chatfield - Defenseman - Windsor Spitfires
Chatfield is just a solid two-way defender who doesn't have elite size (6'0), but who plays the game hard. He does pretty much everything well, whether it be quarterbacking the powerplay, leading the rush, or laying the body in the defensive end. I suppose the big issue is that he does none of these things at an elite level, which can be the kiss of death when it comes to earning an NHL contract. But I do believe that he has the capability to play at the pro level next year, be it the AHL or ECHL. 

EDIT: Worth noting that Brock's list was for all positions and included a Dman (Ryan Mantha) who's already been signed by the Oilers. As far as defensemen go, Otten had Chatfield ranked the 4th best overager available from the OHL.

I noticed Kyle Pettit was a Canuck Draft Pick that wasn't signed. 

5. Kyle Pettit - Forward - Erie Otters
The 2nd player on this list who was an unsigned NHL draft pick this past summer. Pettit was a Vancouver selection in 2014 who they chose not to sign, and rightfully so as he had not shown any growth offensively over his OHL career. But this year (as is often the case for overage players), he looks like a different player. He's visibly stronger on and off the puck, and also looks quicker. Just a big kid (6'4) who seems to have finally grown into his big frame. He's been dynamite on the powerplay, where he's playing the role of net presence and using his size to be a Tomas Holmstrom type of player for the Otters. And he continues to be one of the OHL's top faceoff men (he's up near 60%). Think of him as this year's Jordan Maletta, who managed to earn an NHL deal last year.

7 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

I noticed Kyle Pettit was a Canuck Draft Pick that wasn't signed. 

5. Kyle Pettit - Forward - Erie Otters
The 2nd player on this list who was an unsigned NHL draft pick this past summer. Pettit was a Vancouver selection in 2014 who they chose not to sign, and rightfully so as he had not shown any growth offensively over his OHL career. But this year (as is often the case for overage players), he looks like a different player. He's visibly stronger on and off the puck, and also looks quicker. Just a big kid (6'4) who seems to have finally grown into his big frame. He's been dynamite on the powerplay, where he's playing the role of net presence and using his size to be a Tomas Holmstrom type of player for the Otters. And he continues to be one of the OHL's top faceoff men (he's up near 60%). Think of him as this year's Jordan Maletta, who managed to earn an NHL deal last year.

2016-17 OHL Coaches Poll showed Pettit a lot of love as well. #1 player in his conference in facoffs, #1 in shot blocking, #2 in penalty killing. Somebody's gonna give this kid a deal (or at the very least an invite).

Looked like the defensive backbone of Windsor's blueline in Game 2.  Very active defender, gets himself into the heart of the play, moves well and moves the puck well.  Don't want to say who he reminds me of. but it was clear why the scouting staff likes him.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Looked like the defensive backbone of Windsor's blueline in Game 2.  Very active defender, gets himself into the heart of the play, moves well and moves the puck well.  Don't want to say who he reminds me of. but it was clear why the scouting staff likes him.

Dana Murzyn? 

35 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Come on, not even a little? :bigblush:

J.C, J.R.  Murzyn used to shoot ground balls his slapper was so gd weak. 

I have to hand it to him though - at first I thought he was the slowest, most useless pylon I had ever seen at the NHL level.  Eventually he became a not-bad defensive D.

But Chatfield - I have no idea how you came up with that comparable.

Have you seen a Windsor game?  Hopefully they'll televise another one in that series and you can give me your revisions haha.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

J.C, J.R.  Murzyn used to shoot ground balls his slapper was so gd weak. 

I have to hand it to him though - at first I thought he was the slowest, most useless pylon I had ever seen at the NHL level.  Eventually he became a not-bad defensive D.

But Chatfield - I have no idea how you came up with that comparable.

Have you seen a Windsor game?  Hopefully they'll televise another one in that series and you can give me your revisions haha.

39936c4b247902cd19de733f17f578a4.jpg

14 hours ago, J.R. said:

Dana Murzyn? 

Murzyn's state line in the WHL at 17?

32 goals, 92 points and 233 PIM's in 72 games.

Chatfields entire 3 year Junior career?

19 goals, 86 points and 136 PIM's in 189 games.

Mirror image

Archived