The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

45 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

That's easy to say, but an 18 year old to a 20 year old typically are very different people. I know I was. 18 you're likely still living at home, in high school, whatever. Still a kid for the most part. At 20 typically you're on your own, working for a living, paying bills, etc. 

Anyhow my point agreeing with Stawns is that having the draft at 20 takes away a lot of the guesswork with players, maintains the integrity of the CHL, and allows players to move directly into a pro career after junior. 

It is easy to say. I might even suggest that 18 to 20 is not as big as all that. Usually at 20 a hockey player is starting his first pro season and making the adjustment in living you talked about. My experience with players is that to a degree they are cacooned from much of life other than their physical conditioning and ice time. How each will react when they are forced from their comfort zone is huge. Combine this with the lost status of being elite as they join a roster of talented competitors. A further challenge is all the influences that have got the player to where he is. Could be a combination of parents, other family, previous coaches, trainors and agents. Fans wonder why young players slide to the side as they fail this transition. :(    

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It is easy to say. I might even suggest that 18 to 20 is not as big as all that. Usually at 20 a hockey player is starting his first pro season and making the adjustment in living you talked about. My experience with players is that to a degree they are cacooned from much of life other than their physical conditioning and ice time. How each will react when they are forced from their comfort zone is huge. Combine this with the lost status of being elite as they join a roster of talented competitors. A further challenge is all the influences that have got the player to where he is. Could be a combination of parents, other family, previous coaches, trainors and agents. Fans wonder why young players slide to the side as they fail this transition. :(    

I was more saying generalizing that age group, not necessarily hockey players. Agreed about the cocooned thing... my sister in law dated a guy who played locally in the BCHL and then proceeded on with a scholarship. Was a huge adjustment for him to be taken care of in a billet compared to looking after himself in university. And even there there's still a lot of structure compared to Joe Blow out in the real world. 

I've said something similar to the bolded in another thread... these kids have been some of the best if not THE best hockey players in every league their whole lives. I would think Junior would be a bit of a wake up call for most, but even then the adjustment from that to going pro must be massive. Add in the pressure to perform, big pay cheques and popularity/fame, I can understand how it's too much for a lot of young adults.

Edited by ThaShady1
  • Upvote 1

Two way Dman, can move the puck, solid defensively, calm under pressure, only knock is he doesn't produce offence. 

Sounds like Tanev 6 or 7 years ago when he was coming up. Not saying this kid will be at Tanev level but similar game for sure. This kid has a bit more edge to him. 

Edited by WHL rocks

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Two way Dman, can move the puck, solid defensively, calm under pressure, only knock is he doesn't produce offence. 

Sounds like Tanev 6 or 7 years ago when he was coming up. Not saying this kid will be at Tanev level but similar game for sure. This kid has a bit more edge to him. 

You know he had 3 points against Calgary right? Including a beautiful backhand goal?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Stech said:

You know he had 3 points against Calgary right? Including a beautiful backhand goal?

....in an exhibition game. 

Besides - are you saying you believe he is likely to be anywhere even remotely close to that good/lucky every game?  One NHL game to his name is hardly an appropriate sample size to dispute what has been his entire hockey career up to today.

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

More edge...and more offense. 

Not that he's likely to be our Karlsson or anything but he's got more offensive mojo than Tanev did at that age (or now :lol:).

11 hours ago, Derp... said:

He looked a but suprised at the speed, but showed his smarts and good hands on the goal. 

I have  a feeling him and McEneny will be the Comets top pair

That's a pretty smooth pair, but perhaps we should add on and say "... by seasons end"? I love his compete though, he seems to play a lot like Stecher; constantly in motion, whether that moving his feet or harrying a player with his stick. Looking forward to seeing his progress this year.

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

....in an exhibition game. 

Besides - are you saying you believe he is likely to be anywhere even remotely close to that good/lucky every game?  One NHL game to his name is hardly an appropriate sample size to dispute what has been his entire hockey career up to today.

Not saying that at all, but it goes to say against mostly NHL competition and those vying for spots on an NHL roster. So I'd say the competition is pretty close to what you'd see during the regular season. He looks quite impressive for an undrafted rookie at this stage in his career - and I expect a good season this year in the A.

Besides, have you ever seen Tanev score a goal like that?

3 hours ago, Stech said:

Not saying that at all, but it goes to say against mostly NHL competition and those vying for spots on an NHL roster. So I'd say the competition is pretty close to what you'd see during the regular season. He looks quite impressive for an undrafted rookie at this stage in his career - and I expect a good season this year in the A.

Besides, have you ever seen Tanev score a goal like that?

Ill agree that he seems to have more upside than Tanev for sure.  But I will reserve overall judgement on him until I actually get to see him play a decent sample size.  Even then its almost a guaranteed Comets spot for him, and therefore against when lesser competition than this preseason.  Still, I'm looking forward to what he can do and how he develops.  I never even had him on my radar up until a couple of weeks ago.  He may be a nice surprise.

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Ok... two game sample size. You might be onto something.:)

Still early to tell but man he's showing well this preseason so far.

Tied for second in preseason scoring behind golden boy Boeser? Yeah, I'll take it.

7 hours ago, Stech said:

Tied for second in preseason scoring behind golden boy Boeser? Yeah, I'll take it.

It's pretty interesting to see how being a good defender option opens up avenues towards offensive production. His goal last night wasn't a "special" play by any means, nor was his assist on the Carcone goal. In fact, 4 of his 5 points were from taking hard point shots or making simple first passes. But it seems like he's earned the trust of Coach Cull, so he's being rewarded with power play time, lots of minutes, etc, putting him in good situations to contribute on the scoresheet.

More than his point production, I'm looking forward to seeing him play against a lineup that's primarily NHLers, fringe or otherwise, and see how he is defensively. That's all he needs to be good at it IMO, in the mold of Tanev, in order to make the NHL in the next few years. The offence will come naturally along the way. This guy is a beauty, from missing teeth to hair to compete level each shift.

I like that he can put up points. This pushes me towards a possibility he could be a second or third call up at the end of the year.dont want to see him be like pedan or subban just call him up and waste time sitting in the press box.

Edited by Violator

On 20/09/2017 at 9:12 PM, WHL rocks said:

You do know that while Boeser is the top preseason scorer in the NHL with 6 points in three games, Chatfield is fifth with 5 points - in TWO games.

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats?category=SCORING

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

You do know that while Boeser is the top preseason scorer in the NHL with 6 points in three games, Chatfield is fifth with 5 points - in TWO games.

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats?category=SCORING

Was thrilled when Benning signed this kid coming out of the Mem Cup. Looking forward to his year in Utica. Stawns accurately pointed out that he was tagged a couple of times and pro experience should help that part of his game.