The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m hoping Benning doesn’t bring Fantenberg back next season. I have nothing against him as he’s been alright. I just think we should be promoting within the organization when it comes to a 6-7 dman. One of Chatfield, Sautner or Brisebois can fill that spot.

Hate to break it to you those guys are all 7-8 spare types one or both of juolevi or Rathbone will be permanent roster members

23 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Hate to break it to you those guys are all 7-8 spare types one or both of juolevi or Rathbone will be permanent roster members

The way I see it Juolevi replaces Stecher. I see Stecher’s arb number being too high just like Hutton. Rathbone I don’t think they’ll keep up to sit in the press box as a 7th dman only to get in every other game. I could see them sending Rathbone down so he can play top minutes every game to help him develop. That 7th spot is where I’m hoping there’s an internal competition between Chatfield, Sautner and Brisebois.

OJ is a left side d-man.  If replacing anyone, it will be Fantenberg/Benn, if next season, and Edler the season after.

Rafferty would be the one to replace Stecher on the right side. (Or Tanev, if not resigned)

Hughes has expressed being comfortable either side, so he might move over to make room for Rathbone 

And don't overlook Toni Utonen - also a left side D - who is progressing nicely in the Finnish league and will likely make a play for a Utica spot next season 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

OJ is a left side d-man.  If replacing anyone, it will be Fantenberg/Benn, if next season, and Edler the season after.

Rafferty would be the one to replace Stecher on the right side. (Or Tanev, if not resigned)

Hughes has expressed being comfortable either side, so he might move over to make room for Rathbone 

And don't overlook Toni Utonen - also a left side D - who is progressing nicely in the Finnish league and will likely make a play for a Utica spot next season 

Perhaps the other poster meant Benn slides to the right (where he generally plays well) instead of Stecher and Juolevi plays 3rd pair, left side 'replacing' Stecher on the roster, but not his 'position'.

Something like:

Hughes, Tanev

Edler, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

Two of Brisebois, Rafferty, Sautner, Chatfield as our spares.

• Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

A voice of reason.

All in all, wanna see them gamble with some youth next yr(on the blueline)..sink or swim!

Myers IS an expensive, dopey giraffe..but signing him is basically a fare thee well, to CT.

14 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m hoping Benning doesn’t bring Fantenberg back next season. I have nothing against him as he’s been alright. I just think we should be promoting within the organization when it comes to a 6-7 dman. One of Chatfield, Sautner or Brisebois can fill that spot.

Chatfield is pretty much exclusively a right D. Brisbois a left D and Sautner either side. Our most advanced rd prospect right now is Rafferty - or Tryamkin who also plays either side.

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Chatfield is pretty much exclusively a right D. Brisbois a left D and Sautner either side. Our most advanced rd prospect right now is Rafferty - or Tryamkin who also plays either side.

I think you've got Brisebois and Sautner backwards.

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think you've got Brisebois and Sautner backwards.

Nope. In Utica, Comets D, when available:

LD.                             RD

Juolevi.              Chatfield

Brisebois.           Rafferty

Teves.                 Sautner

Eliot

they often mixed in an older veteran D:

Blujus RD, Leblanc LD

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Nope. In Utica, Comets D, when available:

LD.                             RD

Juolevi.              Chatfield

Brisebois.           Rafferty

Teves.                 Sautner

Eliot

they often mixed in an older veteran D:

Blujus RD, Leblanc LD

Pretty sure Brisebois (while a lefty) played a lot of right side. Sautner is also a (natural) lefty.

Edited by aGENT

• 1 month later...

I didn't mind Chatfield when he was up with us two years ago.  I feel like it's all a blur though and I might be getting him confused with Sautner.  There was also that one year where we got to see both Teves and Rafferty for a game or two.  

So much has happened since, feels like years ago! 

If Benning plans on having Chatfield and Juolevi in the lineup next season, what does that mean for the D?

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Juolevi - Stecher

Chatfield

Benn and Fantenberg leaving? Did he mention Rafferty? If not, then he could be on the way out. 

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If Benning plans on having Chatfield and Juolevi in the lineup next season, what does that mean for the D?

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Juolevi - Stecher

Chatfield

Benn and Fantenberg leaving? Did he mention Rafferty? If not, then he could be on the way out. 

The coaches like to have an eight man D for practice reasons so I would think if your prediction of the lines plays out, Chatfield and Rafferty would be the 7th and 8th D men and slot in when injuries occur. Even if there is an NHL season this winter, there is no guarantee that there will be an AHL one. If that scenario comes to fruition; IMO we might see the NHL increase the number of players allowed on the roster but still limit the game roster to its current state.

• Thanks 1