The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

The Canucks newest signing from today, an overage defenseman out of Windsor. His offensive numbers aren't dazzling for his age but by all reports he sounds like a mobile player who can move the puck well and you'd have to think there's a lot to his game we don't know about if the Canucks were willing to offer him an ELC. Plus, Windsor hosts the Memorial Cup this season so he'll gain some valuable experience there and we'll all get a chance to see him play which is nice.

There should be a lot of competition for spots on defense in Utica next season, as Chatfield will be up against guys like Brisebois, Neill, and Olson who could all potentially turn pro.

Jalen Chatfield
Defense
Born May 16 1996  -- Ypsilanti, MI 
Height 6.00 -- Weight 188 -- Shoots R

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014-15  Windsor Spitfires           OHL    60    1   20   21   35  --  --  --  --  --
2015-16  Windsor Spitfires           OHL    68   10   27   37   45   5   2   0   2   0
2016-17  Windsor Spitfires           OHL    60    8   20   28   56
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Upvote 1

Oh boy!  It's hard not to get super excited about this signing.  If it wasn't for the excitement I spent over the recent signing of the guy from the Swiss league, I might faint.  My God,  good thing JB spread this kind of excitement over several days. :lol:

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh boy!  It's hard not to get super excited about this signing.  If it wasn't for the excitement I spent over the recent signing of the guy from the Swiss league, I might faint.  My God,  good thing JB spread this kind of excitement over several days. :lol:

You're right, he'll get working on that Megna-Mcdavid swap right away.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

speaking of using a player slot. how many contract spots do we have remaining for Boeser and crew?

Chatfield's ELC doesn't start until next season (same with MacEwan's), so we're at 47/50 right now. Plenty of room if Boeser wants to burn a year this season and to add another NCAA player like Aston-Reese if he wants to do the same.

33 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Chatfield's ELC doesn't start until next season (same with MacEwan's), so we're at 47/50 right now. Plenty of room if Boeser wants to burn a year this season and to add another NCAA player like Aston-Reese if he wants to do the same.

Technically, there are five slots open for contracts between now and July 1, 2017.  Juolevi and Brisebois are on sliding scale, so their contract doesn't count against the 47.  Benning can go on a signing binge between now and July 1, 2017 (depending which of the UFAs and RFAs he re-signs or intend on re-signing).

Comes from a very good team that features Vilardi, Brown, Sergachev, Bracco, Day, and Stanley. Lots of highly drafted talent on that team.

Interesting that we've signed Vilardi and Petterson's teammates within a matter of weeks. Benning targeting these two?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Technically, there are five slots open for contracts between now and July 1, 2017.  Juolevi and Brisebois are on sliding scale, so their contract doesn't count against the 47.  Benning can go on a signing binge between now and July 1, 2017 (depending which of the UFAs and RFAs he re-signs or intend on re-signing).

The 47 is already not including Brisebois and Juolevi though. We have 31 "on the roster" (including injured players) and 18 off the roster for this season which would make 49, but those two are subtracted.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Comes from a very good team that features Vilardi, Brown, Sergachev, Bracco, Day, and Stanley. Lots of highly drafted talent on that team.

Interesting that we've signed Vilardi and Petterson's teammates within a matter of weeks. Benning targeting these two?

I was just thinking that. Management must have heavy scouting reports on both Villardi and Pettersson considering they are in that range where the Canucks might be picking.