The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can People Please Stand Up and Be Counted to Offset the Loud Anti WD Campaign on Here (DISCUSSION)

coastal.view

6 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Really? A "good" coach?

Kids developing under his watch? Yes

Tactician and deployment mastery? No

Winning? No

You can live with 2/3 and be called "good", not 1/3. 

How  could THAT team be in it every night if he wasn't a good tactician? Even last night one of the commentators said as much. 38 DIFFERENT PLAYERS, the highest in the league and coincidentally the same number as last season. Is there some kind of logic/rationale disconnect with you Willie whiners?

Deployment? lets see, we have Bo, Granlund, Baertschi, Sutter and the slow Twins. (who to be fair actually played 2 decent periods last night before Henrik imploded ONCE AGAIN) 4 players, 6 if you count the Sedins, what kind of "deployment" does that leave?

Winning? Are you on dope? How many teams have you known, constituted as we are, have won even half their games?

8 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Willie is going to get fired, because that's what happens when you are a bottom feeder for 2 straight years.

But Willie is a good coach, he's not without faults but he has this terrible team playing hard every night.  Isn't that what people want?  Teach the kids hard work?   Because no matter who you bring in here, you're not getting a winning environment.  This team is going to stink next year again. 

I notice a lot of fans that are screaming that Willie is a terrible coach, are the same ones that think this team already has the prospects to be a Stanley Cup contender in 2 years.  The delusion on CDC is amazing. 

Delusion is an apt description. The time frame required to rebuild a team is acknowledged on one hand and then totally ignored the next.

7 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Willie is going to get fired, because that's what happens when you are a bottom feeder for 2 straight years.

But Willie is a good coach, he's not without faults but he has this terrible team playing hard every night.  Isn't that what people want?  Teach the kids hard work?   Because no matter who you bring in here, you're not getting a winning environment.  This team is going to stink next year again. 

I notice a lot of fans that are screaming that Willie is a terrible coach, are the same ones that think this team already has the prospects to be a Stanley Cup contender in 2 years.  The delusion on CDC is amazing. 

Kids developing yes, for where this team is at... this is the only thing that matters for the future.

Tactician and winning... you could bring in Scotty Bowman, George S. Patton and Napoleon Bonaparte and they wouldn't make this a winning team thanks to their tactics.

C6sV45aVAAIC2V-.thumb.jpg.584f8bce23e9b9d47a12440c7f4d4afe.jpg

These guys couldn't out tactic anyone in Vancouver either, they seem to be doing just fine on other teams.  I'm sure Willie will find a job over the summer and do just fine elsewhere too. 

Bang. On. 

Some people here and in the media seem to be intent on turning this in to a witch hunt of dubious benefit.

Other teams fans think he doesn't know what he's doing... look at last nights 3rd period. The guy gets out coached at home... has one set of rules for Goldobin and another set for the newer guy.

good luck on the pro Willie campaign, he's a terrible NHL coach

Kids developing yes, for where this team is at... this is the only thing that matters for the future.

Tactician and winning... you could bring in Scotty Bowman, George S. Patton and Napoleon Bonaparte and they wouldn't make this a winning team thanks to their tactics.

C6sV45aVAAIC2V-.thumb.jpg.584f8bce23e9b9d47a12440c7f4d4afe.jpg

These guys couldn't out tactic anyone in Vancouver either, they seem to be doing just fine on other teams.  I'm sure Willie will find a job over the summer and do just fine elsewhere too. 

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up this BS HNIC dig in defence of Willie. Congratulations you beat @alfstonker to it. 

Lets see.... Willie had his best season with Gully at his side, AND we didn't stand in the way of Gully getting a head coaching gig, as is the custom in the NHL. What exactly did we do wrong there? How does that prove anything about Wlllie, other than maybe it was Gully that helped him to his best season?

Sully was an ASSISTANT here... he never had head coaching duties. His new coach - that would be WILLIE - wanted his own guys not the assistants Torts wanted. 

Torts has also done a complete change in his coaching style now vs. when he was with us. 

Using that graphic to defend Willie does the opposite. 

Never thought I'd see Vancouver turn into a coaching graveyard. You start stupid tactics like this, why would anyone want to be coach here then? 

You're unhappy with the coach that's fine. That's what this forum is for. AV was let go, and is doing fine in another market. 

I'm pretty sure WD will be replaced without any so called fans help. As they pointed out in the game we've had 37 different players in this season. That's the same number as last year. You may not like WD's deployments, but I doubt many other coaches would have greater success given the teams roster in transition. 

42 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Bang. On. 

Some people here and in the media seem to be intent on turning this in to a witch hunt of dubious benefit.

Oh come on. How many games have we seen Bo get 0 or maybe 1 shift in the last 3 minutes? Megna on the PP? Jeepers man, you know that is crap and its just the tip.

Former players, ex-coaches, hockey analytics and whoever else that was a part of the NHL has been questioning Willie's decision making the past few years, it's not just us.

Willie is a one trick pony coach, should just re-assign him to assistant coach so he can still teach the new players.  That's what Ottawa did with Crawford.

I think the OP's heart is in the right place, especially when raising the point of how certain posters love to color their viewpoints with insulting attributes about WD. It's childish, and even if a poster has a legitimate gripe I can't help but want to dismiss everything they have to say beyond that point. In fairness though, if you look beyond the puerile attacks there are some legitimate coaching deficiencies that even the most ardent WD supporters can't refute. I'm a fence sitter on this one. I love the fact that WD is bringing up the young players in a structured, accountable and defensively responsible system- it will pay off in spades in the long run. BUT, it is also truly infuriating how he seems reticent to accept the fact that the white towel had been thrown the minute Burrows and Hansen were traded- it's just common sense that the last 20 games should be used to place young players in roles with increased responsibility. And for God's sake, please stop playing players who can't score (or offer physical protection to scorers) in the top 6 and the PP, that's just thumbing your nose at the people paying for tickets.     

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Never thought I'd see Vancouver turn into a coaching graveyard.

I don't think thats the case or a concern, we've only had 4 different coaches since 1999 and that includes Torts one-and-done. 

10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I don't think thats the case or a concern, we've only had 4 different coaches since 1999 and that includes Torts one-and-done. 

and the 2 teams that seem to get mentioned around here a lot.... Edmonton at 8 and Toronto 5 plus an interim coach. Looks like both of those teams will have more stability going forward and I don't think we have the coach that will lead us to the promised land quite yet.

17 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yeah compare that to Pittsburgh 12 coaches since 1999.

12 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i am weary of the anti WD noise on this site

he is no scotty bowman

but he is not the reason why the canucks will miss the playoffs this year

he has physical quirks which people seem to focus on and mock

makes me think half the crowd on here is still in highschool

WD has flaws and strengths as a coach

but he is the coach and should remain so until he actually does hold the team back

disagreements about his player deployment issues during games is fertile ground for argument

but that is not a difference maker to the success of the team this year

they have continued to play hard almost every game

and have produced to the team's ability overall

yet the attacks on him are often crude

many are distortions of reality

a repeated view by the anti WD crowd is he is basically useless

and when it is pointed out that young players have developed on here

the response is basically that they are talented and would have developed anyway

i strongly disagree with this and point to bo as the best example of a young player who was in fact brought along properly by WD

he has in fact flourished under WD

i find it somewhat bizarre about the conspiracy theories on here.. .goldy did not have the flu.. he was actually scratched by WD

i guess that is just a new acceptable approach to life in the trump era

but i find it distasteful

anyway . the point of my post is to buttress my view that the anti WD crowd

is loud and obnoxious overall

but is not the majority viewpoint

in how WD or the team is viewed by most fans (who likley have more patience with the transition that is occurring with this team)

speak up please

as i'm sure someone from the team monitors fans' views on here

as they likely do with the radio show with the talking heads that appear to feed this anti WD sentiment

I agree that the attacks on Willie are quite often handled disgracefully by some on these forums. So I'm on board with this part of your argument.

However, I have huge issues with Willie's deployment of players, stubbornness not to give the PP a shake-up and his lack of vision/taste for the youth movement.

There are at least three instances in the last two months I can recall Horvat being stapled to the bench for the last 2-3 minutes in one-goal games. I said at that time I'm okay with Willie playing the vets at crunch time if they are playing well or Horvat is having an off game. However, in all three instances he was our best player on the night (other than Miller).

The PP is a huge problem. Henrik on the sidewall QB position doesn't work well. Yes, he's a great dispenser of the puck but he rarely shoots. This makes it easier to defend. It hasn't been working all year but we essentially trot out the same folks every time.

The fist thing that set me off with Willie this year was sending Stecher down to start the season. He deserved a spot. And you seem to think players are developing underneath his guidance. I'm torn on this. Virtanen is clearly not thriving or developing. Horvat is coming along nicely but is that more his internal drive and the support he has gotten from team mates.

There are many more issues I can raise but frankly I don't have the time. I thought this guy was a good hire. Maybe just the wrong time and the wrong team.

18 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

and the 2 teams that seem to get mentioned around here a lot.... Edmonton at 8 and Toronto 5 plus an interim coach. Looks like both of those teams will have more stability going forward and I don't think we have the coach that will lead us to the promised land quite yet.

And not just the oilers and Toronto, even todays good teams went through a large span of coaching changes. 

The average NHL coaching turning over rate is 2.5 years.  So WD has technically already lasted longer than the average coach.  That’s just the nature of the business, unless you are winning consecutively year after year, you don’t keep your job. 

Since 2000

Penguins have had 8 coaches (4 in 6 years, 2009-2015)

Capitals have had 7 coaches (4 in 3 years, 2011-2014)

Blackhawks have had 5 coaches (4 in 4 years, 2004-2008)

Kings have had 5 coaches (3 in 3 years, 2008-2011) (ignoring temp coach Stevens)

Canucks have had 4 coaches since 2000, if we replace WD that will be 4 coaches in 4 years 2013-2017.  Which, as shown above, isn’t out of the ordinary

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And not just the oilers and Toronto, even todays good teams went through a large span of coaching changes. 

The average NHL coaching turning over rate is 2.5 years.  So WD has technically already lasted longer than the average coach.  That’s just the nature of the business, unless you are winning consecutively year after year, you don’t keep your job. 

Since 2000

Kings have had 5 coaches (3 in 3 years, 2008-2011) (ignoring temp coach Stevens)

Canucks have had 4 coaches since 2000, if we replace WD that will be 4 coaches in 4 years 2013-2017.  Which, as shown above, isn’t out of the ordinary

I like the math analogy a lot better it is clean an sanitized. One cannot dispute the numbers .

1.    His players love him . They may not have the talent but they go out there and kill for him 

2.    you cant deny that the young players have gotten better every year under him and that he is a good teacher 

3.  Hes stubborn ..  just wont give some of the kids enough playing time , and I think thats why he's gonna lose his job .

We need a teacher like W.D 

just cant be W.D if he's gonna be this stubborn about playing time 

20 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Since 2000

A winning coach tends to be a long lived coach. 

helps to have a top notch goalie as well.

Archived