The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning - Potential to be one of our Best GM's ever?

BaerBoBoeser

I posted this in the GDT today but think it deserves it's own thread and discussion given all the heat Benning took his first two years here

Many people said we had no direction, couldn't understand what he was doing, complained about every move, dissected every move and thought they knew better, guys like Tabnbir from Surrey would go nuts on the radio, people were attacking JB at the season ticket holder summer summits, fan's were slandering the man as 'clueless and stupid' because of the manner in which he spoke- quite sad really and a poor reflection on our fan base.

Well, fast foward 2.5 years and look at what we can now see emerging. A young team, with a ton of potential in the pipeline, some good young players and leaders emerging, all while staying competitive and not falling into the Edmonton hopelessness trap. While one can argue, well we were 3rd last in 2016 and could be in 2017, no one can question the boys play hard every night, and for the most part are usually in every game with a chance to win - that makes a big difference long term in preventing Edmontonitis.

So - Old Jimbo seems to have taken a team in which he was handcuffed with alot of bad contracts, aging players, NTC's and some high value trade chips only willing to be traded to one city (Kesler) or not willing to move (Edler), and nothing in the pipeline whatsoever upfront or on defense or in goal, and has in 2.5 short years really turned the future of this franchise around.

I for one think JB, if he continues on this trajectory, may end up being one of the best GM's we have ever had, and one of the best in the league currently (and I have been a fan for 40 years). From the deals below, it is obvious our team's future is looking much brighter now relative to when he took over, it certainly looks like GMJB is out GM'ing most of the GM's in the league (as you kids like to say! haha).

Those who called him names - eat some crow, those who were impatient, perhaps learn some patience with him and the players he trades for / drafts (including Jake -JB saw something in Baer, Granlund, Stech, Try, etc maybe he knows there's something in Jake too! and I wanted Ehlers!), maybe its time for fans to recognize the fine job JB and TL are actually doing if you look forward (and backwards) a few years. They have a plan, had a plan, I can see it, and most can see it now too. Has he been perfect? No, but what GM has? But he has been pretty damn good most of the time if you think about the moves below and what they mean for the future of this team, and where we would NOT be without them.

Granlund for Shinkaruk

Baerschi for a 2nd

Sutter (roundabout Bonino) /Sbisa/Mcann (now Gudbranson) for Kesler who chose one team to be traded to!  (handcuffed yet look at that deal!)

Bieksa for a 2nd

Goldobin for Hansen

Dahlen for Burrows

Miller (who people complained about has been nothing but stellar for this 3 years here)

Tyramkin 3rd round

Boeser 25th overall

Demko second round

Stecher signed for nothing

Potential in guys like Juolevi, Virtanen, Gaudette, Lockwood, Brisebois, Niell

All of that in 2.5 years and people complain about Vey, Megna, and Bonino for some weird reason even though Sutter fills our needs way better lol

Let's have some perspective folks - Especially given how little time JB's had to stock the empty cupboards and how handcuffed he's been with contracts etc.

Honestly, when you look at what he's done so far, if he keeps this up, he may end up being the best GM we've had and one of the best out there.

We could put Sestito at the helm and he'd have the 'potential' to be one of our best GM's ever.

I'm fine with everything Benning's done except this insistence on 'filling the age gap'. That was just a poor excuse to play moneyball with our picks.

Now that we've committed to the full rebuild I think he'll be able to do what he does best. We just need to get Gillis back to manage our free agent acquisitions and contract negotiations.

I have a bad feeling we'll be paying premium market value for our own players if it's left to him.

1 minute ago, Mathew Barzal said:

We could put Sestito at the helm and he'd have the 'potential' to be one of our best GM's ever.

I'm fine with everything Benning's done except this insistence on 'filling the age gap'. That was just a poor excuse to play moneyball with our picks.

Now that we've committed to the full rebuild I think he'll be able to do what he does best. We just need to get Gillis back to manage our free agent acquisitions and contract negotiations.

I have a bad feeling we'll be paying premium market value for our own players if it's left to him.

Nah don't think so

13 minutes ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

I posted this in the GDT today but think it deserves it's own thread and discussion given all the heat Benning took his first two years here

Many people said we had no direction, couldn't understand what he was doing, complained about every move, dissected every move and thought they knew better, guys like Tabnbir from Surrey would go nuts on the radio, people were attacking JB at the season ticket holder summer summits, fan's were slandering the man as 'clueless and stupid' because of the manner in which he spoke- quite sad really and a poor reflection on our fan base.

Well, fast foward 2.5 years and look at what we can now see emerging. A young team, with a ton of potential in the pipeline, some good young players and leaders emerging, all while staying competitive and not falling into the Edmonton hopelessness trap. While one can argue, well we were 3rd last in 2016 and could be in 2017, no one can question the boys play hard every night, and for the most part are usually in every game with a chance to win - that makes a big difference long term in preventing Edmontonitis.

So - Old Jimbo seems to have taken a team in which he was handcuffed with alot of bad contracts, aging players, NTC's and some high value trade chips only willing to be traded to one city (Kesler) or not willing to move (Edler), and nothing in the pipeline whatsoever upfront or on defense or in goal, and has in 2.5 short years really turned the future of this franchise around.

I for one think JB, if he continues on this trajectory, may end up being one of the best GM's we have ever had, and one of the best in the league currently (and I have been a fan for 40 years). From the deals below, it is obvious our team's future is looking much brighter now relative to when he took over, it certainly looks like GMJB is out GM'ing most of the GM's in the league (as you kids like to say! haha).

Those who called him names - eat some crow, those who were impatient, perhaps learn some patience with him and the players he trades for / drafts (including Jake -JB saw something in Baer, Granlund, Stech, Try, etc maybe he knows there's something in Jake too! and I wanted Ehlers!), maybe its time for fans to recognize the fine job JB and TL are actually doing if you look forward (and backwards) a few years. They have a plan, had a plan, I can see it, and most can see it now too. Has he been perfect? No, but what GM has? But he has been pretty damn good most of the time if you think about the moves below and what they mean for the future of this team, and where we would NOT be without them.

Granlund for Shinkaruk

Baerschi for a 2nd

Sutter (roundabout Bonino) /Sbisa/Mcann (now Gudbranson) for Kesler who chose one team to be traded to!  (handcuffed yet look at that deal!)

Bieksa for a 2nd

Goldobin for Hansen

Dahlen for Burrows

Miller (who people complained about has been nothing but stellar for this 3 years here)

Tyramkin 3rd round

Boeser 25th overall

Demko second round

Stecher signed for nothing

Potential in guys like Juolevi, Virtanen, Gaudette, Lockwood, Brisebois, Niell

All of that in 2.5 years and people complain about Vey, Megna, and Bonino for some weird reason even though Sutter fills our needs way better lol

Let's have some perspective folks - Especially given how little time JB's had to stock the empty cupboards and how handcuffed he's been with contracts etc.

Honestly, when you look at what he's done so far, if he keeps this up, he may end up being the best GM we've had and one of the best out there.

Or he could be one of the worst... let's give it time before you build the bandwagon. Let's talk after a few years of playoffs so we can judge.

He may turn out to be the best Canucks GM ever, he'll have to do markedly better than Quinn did to take that position since Patty was so loved here. Having said that, the status quo for the impatient and overly irritable cross section of our fan base is to continue to rip on "insert GM and coach here". 

I've been on board with what JB has been doing since day 1, and have understood perfectly what his idea was since he arrived here. It hasn't been perfect, but under the circumstances he's done fine. I'm not celebrating anything yet, but he has done exactly what he said he would do. Build from the net out. Who gives a $&!# if he signed a winger while doing that? It's not my money, and since we can afford it, I really don't care.

The people who thought this team lacked direction a few years ago when it was very clear that it had just that can now see with their own eyes the massive roster changes, as well as the potential this young team has. If we can manage to nab Liljegren, a much needed RHD, then we'll likely still be in a decent position to grab a scorer next draft if none present themselves over the course of the next year and a bit.

Everything will be fine.  

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Or he could be one of the worst... let's give it time before you build the bandwagon. Let's talk after a few years of playoffs so we can judge.

I think if you look backwards and recognize how little he had to work with, the handcuffs he had to where we are even now, one can't honestly say 'one of the worst'

He has done a commendable job thus far given the cards he had to play coming in

I do believe he has the potential to be one of the best, but we'll have to see. Both Quinn and Gillis were amazing. Even Burke had his moments, though I don't think he's up with the rest.

Jim is creating a very competetive environment for young guys with something to prove.

Some will stick.  Most will not.

And combinations / skills / toolsets will emerge that no one had any idea existed.

Exciting times to be a fan, imo.

29 minutes ago, Fateless said:

This thread is such a perfect microcosm of the bipolar hivemind that CDC shares. 

It was only a few weeks ago people were flaming Benning for being one of the worst GMs ever.

Its only bipolar if this poster is one of those screaming the other nonsense.

Get this, fans have varying opinions on everything.  Shocking?  Only to the black/white absolutists.

23 minutes ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

I think if you look backwards and recognize how little he had to work with, the handcuffs he had to where we are even now, one can't honestly say 'one of the worst'

He has done a commendable job thus far given the cards he had to play coming in

I just look at Quinn who took over a total shambles of a team and turned things around very quickly and he started with no stars. Burke had some stars but a dysfunctional team and was back in the playoffs in a year and a very good team in three or four years.

He has done a commendable job so far but a playoff team is the main thing to judge gm's with. Once that happens then we can judge with history of others. Lou is in the same boat in Toronto, he has done a commendable job so far but lets give it a few years and see if TO makes the playoffs and get better.

Just now, Westcoasting said:

I just look at Quinn who took over a total shambles of a team and turned things around very quickly and he started with no stars. Burke had some stars but a dysfunctional team and was back in the playoffs in a year and a very good team in three or four years.

He has done a commendable job so far but a playoff team is the main thing to judge gm's with. Once that happens then we can judge with history of others. Lou is in the same boat in Toronto, he has done a commendable job so far but lets give it a few years and see if TO makes the playoffs and get better.

Quinn got lucky / brilliant buy stealing Bure in the 6th round - our fortunes would have changed without him but yes he is still the Gold Standard for our franchise.

Just now, BaerBoBoeser said:

Quinn got lucky / brilliant buy stealing Bure in the 6th round - our fortunes would have changed without him but yes he is still the Gold Standard for our franchise.

No Quinn had someone who actually did the work and figured out Bure was eligible for the draft, no luck in that.

Benning is doing a solid job. Need another season or two to see if he's going to go over the top to being considered to be doing an excellent job.

He had a lot of challenges and NTC's to deal with when he started and those aren't as easy to move as many fans would like to believe.

All in all, I'd give him a "B" rating overall. I'm pretty happy with how our prospect cupboard is shaping up.

Archived