The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning - Potential to be one of our Best GM's ever?

BaerBoBoeser

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

As an assistant GM, with a strong background in scouting,.  As I stated, he probably gave great input.   And I believe his experiences to this point will prove to make him a great GM for us.

That answered your question didn't it?...  I don't give a damn about Chiarelli...  but if you want to know more call his mother.

Lmao no it didn't... everyone goes on about Boston. How come no one mentions the work the Asst GM in Pittsburgh or Chicago and how great they are or instrumental to the cups they won. It's because he is the GM  here now and everyone goes over the top about how amazing he is... with no results as of yet. Like i said  i really like Benning as our GM and if given enough time i think he can do a great job. I'm not sure the owner will give him enough time though. 

10 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

What exactly did he do for Boston to make them champions?

Again,.  ^^^ This was the question you asked me.

... and this was the answer I gave you.

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I believe that Benning's background as a scout had gave him solid input into decisions made when, In 2006 he became the assistant GM of the Bruins.  Under his tenure the Bruins have drafted Milan LucicBrad Marchand, Joe Colbourne, Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton.

Notable trades in his tenure as Bruins' assistant GM:

-traded Andrew Raycroft to the Leafs in exchange for the rights to Tuukka Rask.

-traded up in the 2006 Entry Draft to get Brad Marchand

-Acquired Andrew Ference and Chuck Kobasew from the Flames in exchange for Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart and a draft pick (2007)

-Acquired Adam McQuaid for 2007 pick (Jamie Benn).  

-Acquired Johnny Boychuk from Colorado in exchange for Matt Hendricks (2008)

-Acquired Mark Recchi from Tampa for a couple of bums (2009)

-Traded Phil Kessel to the Leafs in exchange for 3 top draft picks. 2 that are of current significance: Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton

-In March of 2010 the Bruins traded Byron BitzCraig Weller and a 2nd round pick to Florida for Dennis Seidenberg and rights to Matt Bartkowski

-In June of 2010 the Bruins trade Denis Wideman plus a 1st and 3rd round pick to the Panthers for Gregory Campbell and Nathan Horton. Nice. Panthers $&!# the bed on those picks, by the way.

-February 2011 Bruins acquire Chris Kelly from the Senators for a 2nd round pick.

-That same month they traded Mark Suart and Blake Wheeler to the Thrashers for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik.

-Also in February of 2011 the Bruins traded Joe Colbourne and 2 high picks to the Leafs for Tomas Kaberle.

-Bruins win the Stanley Cup

If that doesn't answer your question, then there is a level of comprehension that you seem to be missing.

You now want to take it off topic, and off topic of this thread.. with these dandy replies:

10 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

So he was hired after the 2006 draft... the first year he was in charge of player development/drafting etc. He was Asst Gm in 2007. With your list i wonder what the GM Chiarelli did? I mean it's like saying Weisbrod has made all the moves in Vancouver so far.

Don't get me wrong i really like Benning being the GM but his resume will be decided by what happens in Vancouver not by his association with Peter Chiarelli.

I don't care if you think the "Hockey Gods" had something to do with everything Benning was involved in, let alone Peter Chiarelli ..  or your opinion.

Try staying on topic..  

... and my apologies, I thought you were looking for information.. but you weren't,. Actually you need help. Lmao.

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Again,.  ^^^ This was the question you asked me.

... and this was the answer I gave you.

If that doesn't answer your question, then there is a level of comprehension that you seem to be missing.

You now want to take it off topic, and off topic of this thread.. with these dandy replies:

I don't care if you think the "Hockey Gods" had something to do with everything Benning was involved in, let alone Peter Chiarelli ..  or your opinion.

Try staying on topic..  

... and my apologies, I thought you were looking for information.. but you weren't,. Actually you need help. Lmao.

So in other words... you have no answer. Face it Chiarelli did the work in Boston. 

30 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

So in other words... you have no answer. Face it Chiarelli did the work in Boston. 

Face it,. That's not the topic here,.  Start your own thread after you've finished watching your morning cartoons.

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Face it,. That's not the topic here,.  Start your own thread after you've finished watching your morning cartoons.

The topic is Benning may be potentially one of our best GM's.... and all you have a is bunch of nonsense about Boston, is that all you got?

Just now, Westcoasting said:

The topic is Benning may be potentially one of our best GM's.... and all you have a is bunch of nonsense about Boston, is that all you got?

That's what you asked for remember??

Seems you bring nothing more than what most trolls do here..

nothin worth drop'n my mitts for.

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That's what you asked for remember??

Seems you bring nothing more than what most trolls do here..

nothin worth drop'n my mitts for.

I didn't ask for nonsense about the Bruins i was hoping for some facts how Benning built the team in Boston.... but you talk big and can't back it up, cheers!

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

All of these organizations make decisions in a group format. No one person is responsible. It comes down to how well they work together as a team. How well they compliment each other.

Exactly appleboy,. Never one person in the decision making,. 

But I do think to look at ones path in getting to the situation they are presently in, says a lot about that one person and what they bring.

I think that the biggest trouble with the fan base is that they unrealistically expected a quick turn around for this club. There has been a ton  of people over the last two years saying that this down turn was coming. The organization had been stripped to the bear bones before Linden and company took over. The decline that we are in right now was so obvious. No GM in the league could have turn around the mess left behind in a quick fashion. Benning has tried to prop it up a bit but the slide into the abyss has too much force behind it to be stopped.

The silver lining is that they did not go all in on trying to prop it up. They wasted some cap space but most of the moves using assets were made with the future in mind. They have not scored 100% on all of their draft picks but who does? Yet they have very quietly brought in some solid looking young players that could certainly become part of the long term plans.

I think that we all need to brace ourselves because this club is going to hurt for a few years yet. Not only will it hurt but it needs to be at the bottom for a while. What this city wants is a cup contending team and that will not be built over night. The fans need to recognize this and become a part of the rebuild by going to the games and supporting the future.

I suppose the haters live in their own wonderful little world...because it is so easy to criticize rather than use

a touch of critical thinking.  take a look at the rosters for the past few years from this link

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2015.html

you'll notice a lot of plugs and old, slow guys that aren't in the league any more. note the ages too...

Benning has made the team a lot younger and faster and young players are being Taught, not crucified!

there has been little cap money to allow much movement of any kind until this coming year, and we'll be re-signing

a few guys as the picks start to arrive and prove their value.

how can Anyone say the team isn't better?  yup - dropped a lot of points and had some real assholes screw us

around with ntc's.  yup - 7 or 8 or 10 of the guys on those rosters are not in the league and will probably never be back.

Higgins, prust and corrado - you actually think they made the team better? 6 guys carried all of them, check the stats.

haters can post and will continue to.  but I am going to start tagging them as useless babblers.  rarely do they have

anything insightful to add to Any discussion.

i'm Not talking about saying something negative, i'm saying some people are so stupid that all they can do is yap.

I do enjoy a good conversation when there are valid back-and-forth points.  you'll notice the haters when I start tagging

them in the near future.  if they were ignored we could see some decent stuff here, but they just cloud the issues

end of rant!  lol
  and now those people are going to toss dirt at me forever!  because they know i'm right...

Archived