The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning - Potential to be one of our Best GM's ever?

BaerBoBoeser

16 minutes ago, The Rattler said:

Yes, that is correct.  The memory of Nathan LaFayette hitting the post caused such trauma that I've had to force myself to erase that game from my memory.  Ugh, now its back.

Lol sorry my bad. I legit cried in 2011

The best GM? to soon to tell - give it 2 or 3 more years. He seems to be able to assess players well.  He certainly spends plenty of time out scouting young players for himself and not totally relying on his scouts.  Seems to have a good read where others do not

His one move I dislike the most was the LE signing -  not so much the money but the  6 year term.  I don't think Jim is so naive that he does not see the decline in the Sedins - but I think he is honouring the contracts of 2 players who are undoubtedly  2 of the best in franchise history. Can you imagine how the fan base would have reacted  3 years ago had he asked them to waive? Should he have done it then? Would they have agreed? Should he do it now with 1 year left on their contracts or let them finish their careers as Canucks before they retire.  I would be fine with them staying here as long as it is in a reduced role.  They still come to camp every year in great shape and ready to play.

Our prospect pool looks pretty good compared to how it looked when he came in.  The trades that he made - some seem to be panning out such as Granlund and Bear . Sutter -I think would be a win if the man could just stay healthy and injury free.  The returns on Burrows and Hanson - we won't know for a couple years.

I don't think Jim wants to ice a soft team - I don't see that in his cards - but maybe I better throw the cards again. I look forward to seeing the team that is iced 2 or 3 years from now.  This is when we learn whether he is the greatest Canuck GM or not.  I for one hope he is but there are big skates to fill

He's got a long long way to go to be even close. You can't be the best ever when you have more negative franchise records associated with your team than positive ones. 

I like the direction especially at the TDL that the tide seems to have finally turned and he been stocking up on young players hopefully he continues down that road and doesn't decide to chase old ufas (at top dollar) that serve no purpose for this club at this time or trade picks for projects and age gap nonsense. 

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I think Jim is one of the more underrated GM in the league and I think he has done fairly well given the cards he was dealt with when he first took over. I think he was mainly hamstring by the owners of making the playoffs every year and couldn't do a proper rebuild in his first 2 years here, and I believe once the Sedins retire and Jim has a fresh group of guys of his own, he can build this team to a contender.

Which begs the question...How much more time are the owners going to give him?....We're going into year 4 now,and there's not a whole lot to show for it (granted,that a lot of prospects are still in junior,college,or the AHL)...

13 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

You don't seem to want to accept that you aren't really comprehending the over all point - no one said Benning has hit every ball out of the park

I can't repeat something over and over to someone who 'just wants to be right' when he's not evening debating the topic at hand

Don't go into law son, I have a JD and your logic and lack of reading comprension would lose you alot of cases in court. But as I said, a very well known strategy for those with weak arguments, focus on one tree in the forest to distract from the fact you're in a forest lol

JB redeemed himself a bit this last trade deadline, and the Granlund trade isn't looking so bad now.

However, he needs to fully embrace the tank if he has any hope of coming out on top.  He must realize he presides over a team that isn't ready to compete for anything and needs to firmly take the direction of acquiring good draft picks and prospects, so this team is set up to compete 3-5 years from now. 

18 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Which begs the question...How much more time are the owners going to give him?....We're going into year 4 now,and there's not a whole lot to show for it (granted,that a lot of prospects are still in junior,college,or the AHL)...

I was never a big 'owners meddling' proponent but given what JB's done over the last year plus it does make me think there has been some mix messaging from ownership. Maybe not meddling but perhaps expectations were you keep winning while you rebuild - As JB probably realized this isn't going to work very well (aka detroit model), given the lack of depth we had in 22-26 yr old range

So I don't think FA said got get us a cup and don't tear it down but I think he probably said, we need to still focus on winning and get younger. Common type of instruction from bosses in all fields! Make it work even if the choices you have are not necessarily congruent with each other and figure it out, that's your problem lol..I've seen it many times! Not logical but very 'boss like!'

That being said, given the moves this year it seems even FA has recognized (if he did give that conflicting directive) that we need to make changes and we are.

Benning will be here a long time if he keeps drafting as well as he has, and keeps improving the team via college UFAs and trades as he has

5 minutes ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

You don't seem to want to accept that you aren't really comprehending the over all point - no one said Benning has hit every ball out of the park

I can't repeat something over and over to someone who 'just wants to be right' when he's not evening debating the topic at hand

Don't go into law son, I have a JD and your logic and lack of reading comprension would lose you alot of cases in court. But as I said, a very well known strategy for those with weak arguments, focus on one tree in the forest to distract from the fact you're in a forest lol

Until the team is a playoff team this topic can't even be debated. Depending on the length of rope Francesco has given him he might not even make the playoffs to judge.

27 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Pretty much all his prospects.  Next year we'll see how the rebuild starts to develop as his pieces start to turn pro.  I have no doubts that JB has, at least, a 2-3 grace period after this season.

6 minutes ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

I was never a big 'owners meddling' proponent but given what JB's done over the last year plus it does make me think there has been some mix messaging from ownership. Maybe not meddling but perhaps expectations were you keep winning while you rebuild - As JB probably realized this isn't going to work very well (aka detroit model), given the lack of depth we had in 22-26 yr old range

So I don't think FA said got get us a cup and don't tear it down but I think he probably said, we need to still focus on winning and get younger. Common type of instruction from bosses in all fields! Make it work even if the choices you have are not necessarily congruent with each other and figure it out, that's your problem lol..I've seen it many times! Not logical but very 'boss like!'

That being said, given the moves this year it seems even FA has recognized (if he did give that conflicting directive) that we need to make changes and we are.

Benning will be here a long time if he keeps drafting as well as he has, and keeps improving the team via college UFAs and trades as he has

I'm curious as to what moves he's made this season that makes you suspect FA is pulli g strings?

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Until the team is a playoff team this topic can't even be debated. Depending on the length of rope Francesco has given him he might not even make the playoffs to judge.

As I suggested to or friend

1. Why don't you try reading even the title of the post ok?

What is it?

let's parse it out

"Benning" - he's the gm right? Whats the next word?

"Potential" - this term is defined by webster as:

" having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something in the future."

I think most should be able to discern from the title alone (not even READING the post which qualifies my comments many times) that this doesn't mean I said he IS the best does it?

It means he has the potential

SMH

1 minute ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

As I suggested to or friend

1. Why don't you try reading even the title of the post ok?

What is it?

let's parse it out

"Benning" - he's the gm right? Whats the next word?

"Potential" - this term is defined by webster as:

" having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something in the future."

I think most should be able to discern from the title alone (not even READING the post which qualifies my comments many times) that this doesn't mean I said he IS the best does it?

It means he has the potential

SMH

He also has to potential to be one of the worst...

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'm curious as to what moves he's made this season that makes you suspect FA is pulli g strings?

Not saying FA is, saying there's always been this 'conspiracy theory' in Van that FA was meddling - i never bought into it and see it more as I described - simply FA having unrealistic expectations on what can be accomplished - like many bosses they want it all - ignoring that operationally sometimes you have to make choices that will conflict with having it all

Just now, BaerBoBoeser said:

Not saying FA is, saying there's always been this 'conspiracy theory' in Van that FA was meddling - i never bought into it and see it more as I described - simply FA having unrealistic expectations on what can be accomplished - like many bosses they want it all - ignoring that operationally sometimes you have to make choices that will conflict with having it all

You said moves he made this year.......I'm not baiting you, just curious.  His moves this year seem to point opposite of that asssertion.

Actually if you read my Original Post that is pretty hard at this stage

Again, when you finish grade 8 comprehension let me know lil buddy! toodles!

Lol it's your first post that doesn't add up! GM's are based on results... so far there isn't any.

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Lol it's your first post that doesn't add up! GM's are based on results... so far there isn't any.

No results? again reading comprehension

I'd say if he hadn't made those trades and picks and we still had the same 2011 cast our future would look very bleak

I guess you think teams magically snap their fingers and the roster just magically becomes a group of 24 year old studs

Ok - well good for you! now go troll your big brother while he plays world of warcraft lil buddy! Maybe he'll give you a turn on the ps3 now?

No results? again reading comprehension

I'd say if he hadn't made those trades and picks and we still had the same 2011 cast our future would look very bleak

I guess you think teams magically snap their fingers and the roster just magically becomes a group of 24 year old studs

Ok - well good for you! now go troll your big brother while he plays world of warcraft lil buddy!

You need to watch some hockey and see what is going on... at this point Benning may well turn out great... or may sink and go away. You make it sound like he is the next Ken Holland already.

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

You need to watch some hockey and see what is going on... at this point Benning may well turn out great... or may sink and go away. You make it sound like he is the next Ken Holland already.

"potential" was in the title correct? wow you are either really thick or just trollin hard bro

I shared the definition with you- now please move along, you are welcome to have the last word and keep trollin lil buddy - I won't respond to your next post

ok you want the last word lil buddy?go head, but again the word I used in the title was POTENTIAL

Webster has a dictionary on line - use it

Take a grade 8 course in reading comprehension

Read my post over and over until you get it ok?

Ciao!

Archived