The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Bruins @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

Granlund what a nice pickup by JB. Seriously he's made all good trades so far. Lack has stumbled in Carolina, Granlund and Baertschi are impact players, even the McCann deal isn't looking too bad, Gudbranson will be better next year. Great idea signing Miller and everyone hated that. This year's trade deadline. JB is a great GM, a great scout, we are very lucky to have him. 

All the "bad deals" he's made have been because players with NTC's have handcuffed him.

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

To be fair, Bo led the way with almost 21 minutes of ice this game. 

No points, -2.

I'm not sure sweeping away the Sedins and putting it all on his shoulders is the best call just yet.

Game is on the line and the vets are standing around poke-checking. No real desire to do the job properly. Bad!

Any hockey experts here can tell me what Willie's system is? Can't score and can't defend...am I missing something?

also if you know you are the lame-duck coach, shouldn't you change a little bit to win the game, not trying not to lose?

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

For me this is the most dispiriting loss of the season. And that is saying something. I actually hated WD pulling Miller down two goals late in the third --just asking for a Marchand hat trick. I don't mind the loss, even though climbing the draft pick ladder probably is not going to make much difference this year. But letting Marchand get a hat trick really hurts. But, hey, we're still contending a playoff spot, might as well take some risks.

The Sedins combined with Granlund for two very nice early goals, but they were terrible in their own end pretty much all game and especially in the third period.

They have been great players for the Canucks and still very good for 36-year-olds. But obviously they are no longer legitimate first line players. and are barely good second liners. They can score at a legitimate second line level, but are not good enough defensively. Next year they will be grossly overpaid at 7 million each of course, but they only way they can actually help the team on the ice, in my view, is to play protected minutes --i.e. fewer minutes, less PP time, never for key defensive zone faceoffs and not against the other team's top line if that can avoided. Combined with Granlund maybe they can still be a decent scoring second line if played in that way, with a good shutdown third line to take the tough minutes.

I have always hated the Benning strategy of trying to build around the Sedins to make a playoff push every year. The Canucks won't be good again until they can rebuild around a new young core (and that does not include the "foundational" Brandon Sutter). I guess even Benning has finally gotten that message -- three years too late.

Totally agree.....why does he keep doing this ???  He did it the other night too, down two goals.....what's the point ???  Down one I understand.    Just asking for an ENG.   ARGH!!!!!!

Just now, ey40 said:

Any hockey experts here can tell me what Willie's system is? Can't score and can't defend...am I missing something?

also if you know you are the lame-duck coach, shouldn't you change a little bit to win the game, not trying not to lose?

1. Chug mickey of Fireball.

2. Set lineup.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Horvat needs to be a leader and tell the idiot we have coaching that he doesn't want to have an AHLer on his line.

The Canucks may have set a record this season for number of minutes played by replacement level forwards. On the current team there is only one A level forward, and that is Horvat. I have Baertschi as as B, and Granny and Sedins at B-. (Nice to see Granny get to 19 goals and he will almost certainly hit the 20 goal plateau this year, but he needs to be better defensively.) And I have Sutter at C+. The other forwards currently playing are pretty much all replacement level players -- guys who would look good in the AHL but who are not likely to contribute much at an NHL level. 

I am not saying that we should have kept Burrows and Hansen. Those were good trades. I am saying that it is disappointing that we do not have more good forward prospects on the team. The future would looking a lot brighter if we picked Nylander and Tkachuk with those high draft picks.

I hope Bo  learned his lesson, not to compliment his linemates. He was outspoken about how great a shooter Boucher is and how he liked him on the line so one shift into the game and WD replaces him with Megna.

WD last game would not a knowledge how good Boucher played, instead saying it was  Bo and Baer that make their linemates better. Well, he just got exposed by how badly that whole line was with Megna on it.  Not even Bo and Baer could help Megna look secent.  Ed trying to showcase his chosen boy at Boucher's expense. A case of trying to make a silk purse our if a pig's ear.

1 minute ago, redhdlois said:

Totally agree.....why does he keep doing this ???  He did it the other night too, down two goals.....what's the point ???  Down one I understand.    Just asking for an ENG.   ARGH!!!!!!

True dat. I was thinking when is the last time the Canucks have scored five goals?? Not happening tonight.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

9) Edler had a classically up and down Edler game. Brilliant in the first half, a real star-quality goal there and closed down Marchand for most of the night despite Stecher struggling hard. He's his best at around 24 minutes but he struggled later in the game as per usual as the rest of the team does as well. Definitely not his fault, tonight he did more good than harm though.

TL;DR - Edler had an above average night, Granlund and Hutton and Tryamkin and Biega were fantastic, Stecher and Sbisa and our AHL forwards stunk it up but this was a coaching loss. 4 goals against in the 3rd period for a team that's 15-1-2 or something after leading after 2 against a weak fringe playoff team and bad road team is pathetic. WD didn't have his boys ready to play in the 3rd and never adjusted or set the proper matchups and Boston won the matchup game easily despite being on the road.

Edler was -2, Marchand scored 3 goals and I saw a really dumb penalty with some horribly executed passes. Just because he scored and played well for 5 minutes does not make it a good game. 

But he did well at helping us tank B)

2 minutes ago, ey40 said:

Maybe he keeps playing Megna cause he's on #teamtank and he keeps the old vets out there cause one of the young guys might step up and start scoring. 

1 minute ago, mll said:

WD just said that he wants to try Baer-Horvat-Granlund.

Does that mean Megna with the Sedins again? Ugh. Granlund is juuuust fine there. No need to move him. Megna can be readily moved to Utica on the red-eye. 

Let go of his hand, Willie. Let...Go!

21 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Pardon?

I know right? I mean, I'm not usually one to get on the Sedin bashing wagon and they've been amazing players for us over the years. But calling the rest of the team slow when you're one of the slowest players on the team at this point in your career is just silly. I mean, he's right of course, but the Sedins are very slow at this point.

Archived