The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Canucks MUST focus on Centre talent when trading and drafting

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

We don't need the McDavid, Matthews, Toews, Crosby, Doughty type of player to win a .Cup though.  The Bruins (hated bast**ds) won without one, didn't they?  

Just because it can happen doesn't mean it's a good thing or desirable. 

Alex Kerfoot is a Center at Harvard right now. He was Jimmy Vesey's Centerman.

Kerfoot is a NJ draft pick but if he hasn't signed with them by this August he'll be a free agent. Talk is, if that happens, he may decide to come home and sign with Vancouver.
(his dad is the majority owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps)

He's not huge at 5'10" 180lbs but hey.. if it's depth you want, there it is. He's got 40 points in 30 games for Harvard this year, and that's without Vesey on his wing.

6 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

For who Canucks or Sabres? You've got to pay a premium for a first lne center and I'd be willing to do it to get Reinhart

JB would hang up the phone and cut lines with TM. Reinhart has not been producing like a first line centre and we are giving up high trade value in Tanev, plus our best prospect in Boeser, we are also giving up a 2nd rounder in a deep draft next year? Terrible deal. Plus we can draft our own.

10 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

JB would hang up the phone and cut lines with TM. Reinhart has not been producing like a first line centre and we are giving up high trade value in Tanev, plus our best prospect in Boeser, we are also giving up a 2nd rounder in a deep draft next year? Terrible deal. Plus we can draft our own.

Reinhart is 20 bro. He will start producing like a first line centre when he's ready. Plus he's a right handed shot which is great for us, we've got Horvat as a left-handed shot plus Goldy, Eriksson, Dahlen, etc.as lefties. We need another righty and probably won't get a shot at Vilardi, Patrick or Hischier who are all right-handed guys. You might not think righty-lefty is important but it is. We need a right-handed first line centre either we get one of Vilardi, Patrick or Hischier this year in the draft or we make a trade for one. Reinhart is the only guy who I think could remotely come available for us. He's a hometown guy, he's quick and he's a playmaker. Exactly the kind of guy that could get JV playing to his potential. 

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Boeser isn't even a Canuck yet and you already want to trade him? Sorry, this isn't a good trade for the Canucks.

You have to give to get. I like Boeser, but if we can get Reinhart in return for him then I trade him. Obviously Stecher wouldn't be too pleased, but we need to make moves that make our team better for now and in the future. 

3 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Reinhart is 20 bro. He will start producing like a first line centre when he's ready. Plus he's a right handed shot which is great for us, we've got Horvat as a left-handed shot plus Goldy, Eriksson, Dahlen, etc.as lefties. We need another righty and probably won't get a shot at Vilardi, Patrick or Hischier who are all right-handed guys. You might not think righty-lefty is important but it is. We need a right-handed first line centre either we get one of Vilardi, Patrick or Hischier this year in the draft or we make a trade for one. Reinhart is the only guy who I think could remotely come available for us. He's a hometown guy, he's quick and he's a playmaker. Exactly the kind of guy that could get JV playing to his potential. 

Hischier is a lefty.

Reinhart is part of Buffalo's core.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Hischier is a lefty.

Reinhart is part of Buffalo's core.

Buffalo already has O'Reilly, Eichel and Girgensons as their three centres. Girgensons looks like he tops out as pretty good third-line centre. O'Reilly is a first line center, so is Eichel. Where does Reinhart fit in? They've got O'Reilly locked up for the next while, where does Reinhart play when he's entering his prime? 

If I'm Buffalo, I'm willing to trade Reinhart for a defensive defenseman, a right or left winger + a bit more. We make Buffalo an offer that doesn't include Horvat or Juolevi than I'm happy to take it, no matter how much we give up.

My bad with the Hischier mistake. I saw that he also plays RW and assumed he was a righty. My bad. 

29 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Buffalo already has O'Reilly, Eichel and Girgensons as their three centres. Girgensons looks like he tops out as pretty good third-line centre. O'Reilly is a first line center, so is Eichel. Where does Reinhart fit in? They've got O'Reilly locked up for the next while, where does Reinhart play when he's entering his prime? 

If I'm Buffalo, I'm willing to trade Reinhart for a defensive defenseman, a right or left winger + a bit more. We make Buffalo an offer that doesn't include Horvat or Juolevi than I'm happy to take it, no matter how much we give up.

My bad with the Hischier mistake. I saw that he also plays RW and assumed he was a righty. My bad. 

Reinhart is doing fine at wing. They need top-6 players - he is one and he can fill in at C in case of injuries.  

3 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Tanev + Hutton + Boeser + 2018 2nd to Buffalo for Reinhart 

If we get a top 3 draft pick this year, we would be better off keeping our assets and developing that center (Patrick, Hischier or most likely Vilardi).  If we don't get a top 3 pick, we could consider a package for a young NHL centre, but not this much.  3 players and a prospect for Reinhart is way too much.  Unless you're getting McDavid or Matthews in return, no 1 Center is worth two top 4 D men, and a top prospect (Boeser).  

7 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

If we get a top 3 draft pick this year, we would be better off keeping our assets and developing that center (Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi).  If we don't get a top 3 pick, we could consider a package for a young NHL centre, but not this much.  3 players and a prospect for Reinhart is way too much.  Unless you're getting McDavid or Matthews in return, no 1 Center is worth two top 4 D men, and a top prospect (Boeser).  

I agree but our odds of picking top 3 are low. We're not getting a first line centre out of anyone not named Vilardi, Hischier or Patrick. It's a weak draft. Let's say Liljegren falls to our pick, which is entirely possible AND we make the Reinhart trade I suggested the future starts to look pretty bright. We have two future top pairing guys in Liljegren and Juolevi and two top centres in Reinhart and Horvat and depth on the wings.

You guys might not like the deal I presented, but I think Buffalo would and I hope JB would as well. This is a solid hockey trade in which both teams are getting serviceable assets.

Look at the Seguin deal, Boston acquired Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow and Matt Fraser. They got two top six forwards, a bluechip defensive prospect and fourth liner Matt Fraser. 

If Buffalo shops Reinhart, they';re going to expect a little bit more out of us then what Dallas gave up to get Seguin.

Just my two cents

6 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

I agree but our odds of picking top 3 are low. We're not getting a first line centre out of anyone not named Vilardi, Hischier or Patrick. It's a weak draft. Let's say Liljegren falls to our pick, which is entirely possible AND we make the Reinhart trade I suggested the future starts to look pretty bright. We have two future top pairing guys in Liljegren and Juolevi and two top centres in Reinhart and Horvat and depth on the wings.

You guys might not like the deal I presented, but I think Buffalo would and I hope JB would as well. This is a solid hockey trade in which both teams are getting serviceable assets.

What about trading Tanev plus our pick (lets say 5 or 6) for a top 3 pick?  Since there is no generational talent, a team like New Jersey, Dallas, Arizona or maybe Vegas (depending on how their expansion draft goes) would certainly consider trading down a couple spots for a proven D man(Tanev) plus possibly Liljegren.

I don't hate your trade, just I think it's too much for a guy who isn't going to be a #1 center for sure. He very well might be, but there is still a huge risk.

13 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

What about trading Tanev plus our pick (lets say 5 or 6) for a top 3 pick?  Since there is no generational talent, a team like New Jersey, Dallas, Arizona or maybe Vegas (depending on how their expansion draft goes) would certainly consider trading down a couple spots for a proven D man(Tanev) plus possibly Liljegren.

I don't hate your trade, just I think it's too much for a guy who isn't going to be a #1 center for sure. He very well might be, but there is still a huge risk.

I like Liljegren too much to pass up on him when it's time for our pick.

We've got lots of options for teams we can trade Tanev too. The Oilers, for example. They'd probably give us RNH for Tanev straight up. He's had two 56 point seasons and he's only 23. Can he get better? Yes, he can. Do we need him? Depends if he improves his play. He's definitely not a bust, whether we can get some good years out of him remains to be seen. 

Archived