The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Canucks MUST focus on Centre talent when trading and drafting

18 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

What about trading Tanev plus our pick (lets say 5 or 6) for a top 3 pick?  Since there is no generational talent, a team like New Jersey, Dallas, Arizona or maybe Vegas (depending on how their expansion draft goes) would certainly consider trading down a couple spots for a proven D man(Tanev) plus possibly Liljegren.

I don't hate your trade, just I think it's too much for a guy who isn't going to be a #1 center for sure. He very well might be, but there is still a huge risk.

I really want to see a trade for Reinhart but I also feel like Tanev + Hutton + Boeser + 2nd 2018 pick is too much.

Maximum that I would think is one D man + good prospect + 2nd rounder

IMO Boeser > Dahlen

...Suggest Tanev + Dahlen + 2nd

3 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

I like Liljegren too much to pass up on him when it's time for our pick.

We've got lots of options for teams we can trade Tanev too. The Oilers, for example. They'd probably give us RNH for Tanev straight up. He's had two 56 point seasons and he's only 23. Can he get better? Yes, he can. Do we need him? Depends if he improves his play. He's definitely not a bust, whether we can get some good years out of him remains to be seen. 

Yep I think RNH also an option.

Not as good an option as Reinhart but also don't have to give up as much to get him Id wager.

Nylander is also a potential target...

3 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

For who Canucks or Sabres? You've got to pay a premium for a first lne center and I'd be willing to do it to get Reinhart

I see people flaming you for such a steep price for Reinhart. Truth is that it will be expensive and we won't like it!

I am squarely in the GET REINHART camp, but it can't be at any cost!

20 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yep I think RNH also an option.

Not as good an option as Reinhart but also don't have to give up as much to get him Id wager.

Nylander is also a potential target...

Nylander plays RW, I think he's better in the NHL as a winger.

If we're targeting Toronto players then I want Kasperi Kapanen and Kerby Rychel, a sniper and an energy-guy with upside respectively. They're both wingers, both have top 6 potential though I'm thinking Rychel is more a middle-six kind of guy.

RNH is definitely an option that we've chewed over.

21 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I see people flaming you for such a steep price for Reinhart. Truth is that it will be expensive and we won't like it!

I am squarely in the GET REINHART camp, but it can't be at any cost!

I'm willing to trade anyone save for Juolevi and of course Bo Horvat in order to acquire Sam Reinhart and I think we've got just enough to give the Sabres that. 

Definitely need to draft a C this year.

If hadn't signed Eriksson, I'm sure mgmt would be all in on Tyler Johnson this summer also..heck,  I'm tempted to go after him anyway knowing that Sedins r gone in year....local kid just might sign.

Or wait a year and make a run at Ryan Johansson

A lot can happen between now and next season. I have a feeling the team will look quite different meaning a couple more vets might be traded for young prospects. I suspect Sutter and Horvat will be leaned on big time next season. In that time hopefully we find our future 1st line centre via draft or trade. 

3 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Nylander plays RW, I think he's better in the NHL as a winger.

If we're targeting Toronto players then I want Kasperi Kapanen and Kerby Rychel, a sniper and an energy-guy with upside respectively. They're both wingers, both have top 6 potential though I'm thinking Rychel is more a middle-six kind of guy.

RNH is definitely an option that we've chewed over.

I'm willing to trade anyone save for Juolevi and of course Bo Horvat in order to acquire Sam Reinhart and I think we've got just enough to give the Sabres that. 

Probably better as a winger but he is not small and I think he could be a great 1 or 2 C.

But i reckon he is just filling a spot on the wing because TOR already have their centre ranks full (with even more potential centres playing wing such as Marner, Komarov).

A bit like Reinhart...

I wonder who will step into Torontos third line C spot when LV draft Bozak?

8 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Probably better as a winger but he is not small and I think he could be a great 1 or 2 C.

But i reckon he is just filling a spot on the wing because TOR already have their centre ranks full (with even more potential centres playing wing such as Marner, Komarov).

A bit like Reinhart...

I wonder who will step into Torontos third line C spot when LV draft Bozak?

Probably Frederik Gauthier or Brian Boyle re-signed

He hasn't been showing much in the American League but I still think he's got the potential to be a solid bottom six player. They could also re-sign Brian Boyle at $3 million AAV which I think is fair. 

I don't think William Nylander is the guy we're looking for, even though we probably should've picked him instead of Virtanen(watch JV but up 60 points next year and silence all the haters. That'd be great, eh?) 

If we can Reinhart i'd be willing to move Virtanen/Boeser + Hutton + Tanev + 2018 2nd for SR. People didn't like this deal when I brought it up, but you need to pay in order to receive good assets in this league. Tanev would really help to bolster that awful Buffalo defence, as would Hutton and either Virtanen or Boeser would be a great complimentary winger for Jack Eichel or Ryan O'Reilly. 

We get a player in Reinhart who absolutely is a first line centre in the making. It allows us to deploy Bo as a shutdown centre on our second line, playing a similar role to what Kesler played for us. Except I see Bo with way more offensive upside then Kesler.  

Archived