The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins sign Zach Aston-Reese

Canucks pitch:

"Hey Zach we really like you and we want to sign you to a three year ELC, you're going to have a great opportunity to make this team and play alongside other hard-working players like Chaput and Skille. Anyways, we won't be competing next year but you can maybe be a big part of our real good future if you work on your 200ft game and get a skating coach. Look at Jordan Subban, he's worked hard and is just about to make this team, that could be you!"

Penguins pitch:

"Yeah so we're probably going to lose Hagelin in the expansion draft and we think you'll give us another opportunity to compete for the Stanley Cup next year playing along side Bonino and Kessel, possibly even step up and play with Crosby and Malkin on the powerplay depending on your transition to the NHL. Also, we know you're considering other teams and want to cash in faster, so we're willing to give you a two year ELC if you decide to sign with us. You can stay close to your alma mater and family here and we'll bring your boy Gaudette in here in a couple years too. "

Not a hard decision for ZAR. Probably won't be difficult for Gaudette either when he goes there in 2019. 

Oh well. Moving on. 

I won't pretend I didn't want us to sign him because there's over two years of post history where I've put him on my target lists. 

But realistically, he's a bottom-to-middle six ceiling player who, while having lots of positives, does have a few concerns attached to his game (as far as whether he can translate to the NHL).

Disappointing yes, but not the end of the world.

I suppose we need a new college free agent forward to obsess over now. Vecchione? Stevens? Foo? Kelleher?

damn. tough to not be able to sign a kid of his calibre. he's going to an organization who have been winning in the last few years and just won the Cup while looking to repeat this year. We can look forward to the other college FAs out there. i like Spencer Foo and he's posted p/g numbers with OSU so I hope we get him locked up after his season is done

Ah well. It's not like we don't have Goldobin, Dahlin, Boeser, Gaudette, Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen, Boucher, Rodin there already isn't enough room for all of these guys in our top 9 even after the Sedins cough up 2 roster spots. Moves will have to be made. Aston Reese would be nice to throw on the pile but not really necessary.  

21 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Oh well. Moving on. 

I won't pretend I didn't want us to sign him because there's over two years of post history where I've put him on my target lists. 

But realistically, he's a bottom-to-middle six ceiling player who, while having lots of positives, does have a few concerns attached to his game (as far as whether he can translate to the NHL).

Disappointing yes, but not the end of the world.

I suppose we need a new college free agent forward to obsess over now. Vecchione? Stevens? Foo? Kelleher?

This. 

Always nice to get free prospects with some obvious skill but it's not like we don't already have a bunch of middle 6/bottom 9 prospects. Would have been nice to add free depth but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Congrats to him and PIT. He should slot in nice on a cheap ELC for them to maintain depth and gets to stay close to home on a playoff team with world class players in their prime.

h well. It's not like we don't have Goldobin, Dahlin, Boeser, Gaudette, Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen, Boucher, Rodin there already isn't enough room for all of these guys in our top 9 even after the Sedins cough up 2 roster spots. Moves will have to be made. Aston Reese would be nice to throw on the pile but really necessary.  

Yup.

59 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Can't say I blame him. The rich just keep getting richer. 

Really, as a hockey player able to go anywhere, why wouldn't you want to play with Sid, Malkin, Letang, and know you're probably going to be in that top 6?

Incredible experience professionally and will only help you monetarily as if he gels with one of those 2 he'll rack up the points- win win from both perspectives

Smart move really

1 minute ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

Really, as a hockey player able to go anywhere, why wouldn't you want to play with Sid, Malkin, Letang, and know you're probably going to be in that top 6?

Incredible experience professionally and will only help you monetarily as if he gels with one of those 2 he'll rack up the points- win win from both perspectives

Smart move really

ALA: James Neal, Chris Kunitz, Hornqvist etc.

Archived