The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins sign Zach Aston-Reese

3 minutes ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

Really, as a hockey player able to go anywhere, why wouldn't you want to play with Sid, Malkin, Letang, and know you're probably going to be in that top 6?

Incredible experience professionally and will only help you monetarily as if he gels with one of those 2 he'll rack up the points- win win from both perspectives

Smart move really

Well that really depends on what you personally aspire to as a player imo. Just as you say he was looking to play on a well established team with league leading players that are contending, but one could also say, depending on your personality / career ambitions, that a team like the Canucks allows you to establish yourself as a leader of a team. I personally think it sometimes comes down to how highly these unsigned NCAA players think of themselves. If you think you can take on a top 6 role on a team and thrive in a leadership role, then why not go for something else other than Pens or Oil? On the flip side, you might think that you might not have the talent to have a solid career so you might as well say you played with one of the best and maybe add a cup ring...

Zachary Aston-Reese was born and raised in NY. Played all his hockey in NY, Boston, and NE united states. All his family and friends are located in this area. Of the teams that showed interest in him Pittsburgh was the most logical choice in terms of geographical location to his family. Also getting to play on a world class team isn't so bad either. He will have to work hard to earn a spot on that team. That said I can see why he chose to be a Penguin. As long as the Oilers didn't get him I am ok with it. Canucks have prospects for our bottom 6 already  

4 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Well that really depends on what you personally aspire to as a player imo. Just as you say he was looking to play on a well established team with league leading players that are contending, but one could also say, depending on your personality / career ambitions, that a team like the Canucks allows you to establish yourself as a leader of a team. I personally think it sometimes comes down to how highly these unsigned NCAA players think of themselves. If you think you can take on a top 6 role on a team and thrive in a leadership role, then why not go for something else other than Pens or Oil? On the flip side, you might think that you might not have the talent to have a solid career so you might as well say you played with one of the best and maybe add a cup ring...

Or you might look at how a team has given young players a shot in their top 6 without spending a year and a half in the 4th line. 

this guy made the smart business decision by choosing a skilled team with the potential of having Malkin or Crosby feeding him the puck. then in two years when he has padded his stats, he can cash in. Kinda like Vrbata signing here to play with the Sedins, except it kinda backfired on him his stock got worse. lol

that being said...

he will be a bust :emot-parrot:

1 hour ago, -Stammer- said:

but but I thought he wanted to go somewhere with not as much depth. Well, at least the Oil didn't get him

Penguins don't (didn't) have depth. It's really Cros, Malks, and Kess who carry the team. Then a bunch of supporting plugs. 

14 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Disagree with that, playing with Crosby and Malkin will make him a better player in the end bud - the way I'd compare it is (and not saying they are at the same level but), remember the position CoHo had?

I grew up in a time in the NHL when players who got drafted if they were lucky only spent one in year in the minors, and worked their way up the lineup no matter how good they were - unless you were yzerman, sakic, bure talent, you started on the 4th line and earned your way up over years to the top lines, and few players came right out of junior to the NHL -

The reason? Teams realized the value of 'tutoring' young players - that they learned from the vets. Why I referenced CoHo is very much related to this and this player's choice to go to Pitts.

When CoHo was complaining I was aghast - I looked at it and said - Jesus kid, you're playing 3c, getting 2nd pp ice and are playing behind a recent Hart Trophy and Selke trophy winner and are complaining? I thought this kid, should be trying to 'soak up' as much as he can from these two over the next 3-4 years so he can learn from one of the best offensive and defensive players in the game at his position - imagine how good he could have become if open to that and improved his skating (very doable)

Well maybe Aston Reese is intelligent enough to recognize he's no Sakic or Bure and can learn a hell of alot from 2 superstars and arguably they best player in the game in Crosby - and it only helps him financially

Disagree - think he's making a brilliant decision professionally. If I can work at Goldman Sachs in NYC as an Investment Banker or RBC in Toronto, who would I choose? You go learn from the best to be the best - I think he's doing the opposite of what CoHo did - he's 'intelligently managing his career to learn from the best'.

15 minutes ago, Devon Jade said:

Penguins don't (didn't) have depth. It's really Cros, Malks, and Kess who carry the team. Then a bunch of supporting plugs. 

they've still got a pretty good bottom 6. Rust and Kuhnhackl are speedy guys and Guentzel has been a surprise from the AHL. We have a bigger hole in the bottom 6 than the Pens have imo

22 minutes ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

Disagree with that, playing with Crosby and Malkin will make him a better player in the end bud - the way I'd compare it is (and not saying they are at the same level but), remember the position CoHo had?

I grew up in a time in the NHL when players who got drafted if they were lucky only spent one in year in the minors, and worked their way up the lineup no matter how good they were - unless you were yzerman, sakic, bure talent, you started on the 4th line and earned your way up over years to the top lines, and few players came right out of junior to the NHL -

The reason? Teams realized the value of 'tutoring' young players - that they learned from the vets. Why I referenced CoHo is very much related to this and this player's choice to go to Pitts.

When CoHo was complaining I was aghast - I looked at it and said - Jesus kid, you're playing 3c, getting 2nd pp ice and are playing behind a recent Hart Trophy and Selke trophy winner and are complaining? I thought this kid, should be trying to 'soak up' as much as he can from these two over the next 3-4 years so he can learn from one of the best offensive and defensive players in the game at his position - imagine how good he could have become if open to that and improved his skating (very doable)

Well maybe Aston Reese is intelligent enough to recognize he's no Sakic or Bure and can learn a hell of alot from 2 superstars and arguably they best player in the game in Crosby - and it only helps him financially

Disagree - think he's making a brilliant decision professionally. If I can work at Goldman Sachs in NYC as an Investment Banker or RBC in Toronto, who would I choose? You go learn from the best to be the best - I think he's doing the opposite of what CoHo did - he's 'intelligently managing his career to learn from the best'.

I embellished my example for effect, but basically stating that an argument could be made for either route. Prior to signing with the Pens it was reported that he was interested in a organization that had room for him to grow into - that very well could of been a team like the Canucks. I imagine the Pens promised him the best of both worlds and thus the result. I wouldn't say he made the wrong choice, I am just saying that there is obviously more than one route that a player could take based on his own perspective. There is benefits for either so again I wouldn't proclaim that there is only "one smart choice" as you seem to be arguing. 

Also, I don't think arguing that CoHo would of become some great player had he stayed here is adding to your argument. It is precarious at best. 

5 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I embellished my example for effect, but basically stating that an argument could be made for either route. Prior to signing with the Pens it was reported that he was interested in a organization that had room for him to grow into - that very well could of been a team like the Canucks. I imagine the Pens promised him the best of both worlds and thus the result. I wouldn't say he made the wrong choice, I am just saying that there is obviously more than one route that a player could take based on his own perspective. There is benefits for either so again I wouldn't proclaim that there is only "one smart choice" as you seem to be arguing. 

Also, I don't think arguing that CoHo would of become some great player had he stayed here is adding to your argument. It is precarious at best. 

CoHo would have been a much better player and probably still in the league had he stayed. It was his attitude and lack of learning from good players that hurt him. Thrust into a role in Buffalo and expectations given his salary he wasn't capable of handling. People with experience in this world have alot to add to young people in any profession friend

I know alot of young people these days can't seem to accept that

1 minute ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

CoHo would have been a much better player and probably still in the league had he stayed. It was his attitude and lack of learning from good players that hurt him. Thrust into a role in Buffalo and expectations given his salary he wasn't capable of handling. People with experience in this world have alot to add to young people in any profession friend

I know alot of young people these days can't seem to accept that

Again, that is all conjecture and solely based on your unsubstantiated subjective opinion. 

Even as per your other Goldman Sachs claim, one could ask: what is better, working as a personal errand assistant to an executive at Goldman Sachs in New York or managing your own portfolio and clients at RBC in Toronto? There is benefits to either situation and anyone might choose one over the other. 

21 minutes ago, guntrix said:

lol poor guy. Projects to be a bottom six player and still chooses one of the most stacked teams in the NHL. I wish him luck. 

Good choice for his long-term development.  Schultz didn't work out in Edmonton and found his game in... Pittsburgh.  Crosby's got a history of making very mediocre linemates look good.  If he can make the team and play with either Crosby or Malkin (reasonable shot given how Pittsburgh tends to set the lines), it's much better situation than in Vancouver for him.

Reese may end up being a heckuva player, maybe not.
It's odd though that a guy who's been pegged with a bottom 6 pro ceiling got so much attention. We'll see I guess....

We'll get Alex Kerfoot (Jimmy Vesey's Centerman at Harvard) in August when he decides to come home to Vancouver and not sign with New Jersey. ;)

3 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Reese may end up being a heckuva player, maybe not.
It's odd though that a guy who's been pegged with a bottom 6 pro ceiling got so much attention. We'll see I guess....

We'll get Alex Kerfoot (Jimmy Vesey's Centerman at Harvard) in August when he decides to come home to Vancouver and not sign with New Jersey. ;)

haha in all honesty i don't want this to become a thing now

it would put a real bad rep on college players 

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Good choice for his long-term development.  Schultz didn't work out in Edmonton and found his game in... Pittsburgh.  Crosby's got a history of making very mediocre linemates look good.  If he can make the team and play with either Crosby or Malkin (reasonable shot given how Pittsburgh tends to set the lines), it's much better situation than in Vancouver for him.

Somehow, I doubt a guy who spent four years in college will suddenly get paired up with Crosby or Malkin. I'm sure the Pens have other guys who will maximize Crosby and Malkin's assists/output. 

But I've seen weirder things, who knows.

Archived