The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Edler to NYR

J-23

My Discussion/Proposal on why we should trade Edler to the New York Rangers

Why Edler would waive his NTC?: 

Edler would waive his no trade clause because the New York Rangers are a playoff team, and have potential to be a contender. In my opinion, Edler would only waive his no trade clause to a playoff team, like the Rangers. In addition, the coach of the Rangers is Alain Vingeault, as most know already Edler has played under Alain before and most likely knows his system already. Edler has had some fantastic 40 and 30 point seasons with Alain as coach. I think Edler would love to play for Alain Vingeault again!

Why NYR would want Edler?:

I recently read an article on the Rangers being interested in Jake Muzzin during the trade deadline. I think the Rangers wouldn't mind a player like Edler to play on there 2nd defnesive unit. He would fit perfect with Nick Holden as his 2nd unit defensive partner. Edler would also be 4th in points among defenseman, (as would Jake Muzzin). However, Edler has played only 55 games this season, and the Rangers defenseman ahead of him in point have played 69/70 games. Also, the Rangers would love to have an experienced defender who has made it to the Stanley Cup Finals before and has tons of Playoff experience.

What young players/prospects the Canucks can receive?:

1. Ryan Gropp: (My personal favorite!) A left winger who plays for the Seattle Thunderbirds. He has 32 goals, 48 assists and 80 points in 63 games and he is a plus 23 so far this season. He is a power forward with a good set of hands, who can score! He is continuing to improve, and has the chance of being a solid 2nd/3rd liner.

2. Keegan Iverson: A center (More centers, the better) who also plays in the WHL for the Portland Winterhawks, this season he has 23 goals, 43 assists and 66 points in 52 games. Also a plus 26 this season! He is not afraid to drop the gloves, has 86 Penalty Minutes! Has tons of potential to be a solid center!

3. Brad Morrison: An excellent center who plays for the Prince George Cougars in the WHL, this season he has 21 goals, 31 assists and 52 points in 61 games.

I think the time to trade Edler is this off season, and I believe the Rangers would be a good fit. Maybe we can add some pieces in the trade (To be honest, I don't know). I would like to hear your guys thoughts and opinions! Make a proposal? Discuss! To conclude the Canucks can receive some great prospects, especially in Gropp and Iverson if they traded Edler to NYR.

Nice post.

Totally agree that now is the time to move Edler.

But remember AE has that pesky NTC. I really don't think the guy wants to move. 

If he DID chose to make a move I do believe NYR would be a good fit.

With your proposed return were you suggesting Canucks get all 3 prospects? Or just one of them?

25 minutes ago, J-23 said:

My Discussion/Proposal on why we should trade Edler to the New York Rangers

Why Edler would waive his NTC?: 

Edler would waive his no trade clause because the New York Rangers are a playoff team, and have potential to be a contender. In my opinion, Edler would only waive his no trade clause to a playoff team, like the Rangers. In addition, the coach of the Rangers is Alain Vingeault, as most know already Edler has played under Alain before and most likely knows his system already. Edler has had some fantastic 40 and 30 point seasons with Alain as coach. I think Edler would love to play for Alain Vingeault again!

Why NYR would want Edler?:

I recently read an article on the Rangers being interested in Jake Muzzin during the trade deadline. I think the Rangers wouldn't mind a player like Edler to play on there 2nd defnesive unit. He would fit perfect with Nick Holden as his 2nd unit defensive partner. Edler would also be 4th in points among defenseman, (as would Jake Muzzin). However, Edler has played only 55 games this season, and the Rangers defenseman ahead of him in point have played 69/70 games. Also, the Rangers would love to have an experienced defender who has made it to the Stanley Cup Finals before and has tons of Playoff experience.

What young players/prospects the Canucks can receive?:

1. Ryan Gropp: (My personal favorite!) A left winger who plays for the Seattle Thunderbirds. He has 32 goals, 48 assists and 80 points in 63 games and he is a plus 23 so far this season. He is a power forward with a good set of hands, who can score! He is continuing to improve, and has the chance of being a solid 2nd/3rd liner.

2. Keegan Iverson: A center (More centers, the better) who also plays in the WHL for the Portland Winterhawks, this season he has 23 goals, 43 assists and 66 points in 52 games. Also a plus 26 this season! He is not afraid to drop the gloves, has 86 Penalty Minutes! Has tons of potential to be a solid center!

3. Brad Morrison: An excellent center who plays for the Prince George Cougars in the WHL, this season he has 21 goals, 31 assists and 52 points in 61 games.

I think the time to trade Edler is this off season, and I believe the Rangers would be a good fit. Maybe we can add some pieces in the trade (To be honest, I don't know). I would like to hear your guys thoughts and opinions! Make a proposal? Discuss! To conclude the Canucks can receive some great prospects, especially in Gropp and Iverson if they traded Edler to NYR.

Love this post, probably one of two places he would waive for, the other being Ottawa.

15 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Nice post.

Totally agree that now is the time to move Edler.

But remember AE has that pesky NTC. I really don't think the guy wants to move. 

If he DID chose to make a move I do believe NYR would be a good fit.

With your proposed return were you suggesting Canucks get all 3 prospects? Or just one of them?

I was mainly looking for a return of one, specifically either Gropp or Iverson. We would have to give up a lot if we wanted both of Iverson and Gropp together as there both phenomenal WHL players. However, I think there is a chance where we can receive Morrison along with one of them. Gropp and Morrison or Iverson and Morrison. It all depends on what pieces we add with Edler to make a trade like that!

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

Part of the deal might have to be taking Staal or Girardi back, for salary reasons. But still may be a good play.

I had a feeling there could be possible salary issues.

Archived