The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yo whatchu listening to homie g? (HipHop)

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

It’s his worst album, 

forest hills drive is by far his best work.

i love me some cole but he is definitely not the goat 

Lol one man's trash in another man's treasure I guess?

I feel like it's a classic. I can't remember the last time I listened to an album front to back and thought every song was dope. 

I'm curious what about you don't like? His rhymes were on point as usual, the production is different for Cole but some of the best production he's had to date IMO. 

9 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Agree entirely. I'm not a Cole fan at all, but I liked Forest Hills Drive. I couldn't stand this album, I barely made it through the first time and shut it off halfway through my second listen.

Hey, good on you for giving it a 2nd go when you clearly aren't a fan haha. 

I'm a bit of an old head in the sense of hip hop, so Cole is right up my alley. I've gone through so many stages in music, but hip hop has always been my go to. Probably about 80-90% of what I've listened to for the last 20 years. So it's hard for me to listen to Lil Yaughty, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Pump, all these kids...

I'm not a big hip hop aficionado, but I know what I like and it's not this. I listened to the intro, first song and shut it off half way through the second song. Listening to Forest Hills Drive right now. Reserving judgement.

Edit: Nope.

I'm pretty much eternally stuck in the late 80s, 90s and early 00's for hip hop/rap.

Edited by VanGnome
9 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Man that concert was unreal, I want to go this year to see schoolboy as well but trying to save for vegas

8 hours ago, J-23 said:

Yeah, Damn was awesome, went with my friend, had a good time!

9 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Kendrick > Cole

He's definitely up there though. 

I went to the DAMN. Tour last summer and it was insane. I'm going to the Championship tour this year too. 

Jealous! I've heard he puts on a good show.

I went to the Jay-Z concert a few months ago and I'm going to Post Malone on Friday. Should be fun! Post Malone is a guy that gets a lot of hate but he's probably my favorite young guy in the game right now. I wouldn't call him a rapper though...

Edited by VIC_CITY
9 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Am I the only one that doesn't dig Kendrick all that much? Like the guy is really good, but over hyped imo. People are already calling one of the GOAT's, I don't see it personally. 

My favourite artist in the game right now is Joyner Lucas. Has been for almost 2 years. So versatile and I feel like he puts genuine thought and meaning into whatever he puts out. Performing at fortune in May, pretty pumped to see him

Ya, Joyner is hot, there's no doubting that. Dude can spit. Expect him to have a monster year. 

9 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Kendrick just won the Pulitzer prize. Pretty sure he's the first rapper to do that ever. There are people that overhype him, but it's more than fair to say that he's the best right now. GOAT is way too controversial a title.

Joyner is pretty good, but I think he still needs to take the next step. He's just been remixing popular beats recently, not making fully original music. His thing with Logic was also pretty stupid. I don't really condone going after someone's wife, even in a somewhat sarcastic way the way he did. 508 was good though. A lot of his songs have more meaning and emotion than full albums.

Well said. Kendrick is on another level, so i think people really appreciate how talented he is. But it's interesting how seamlesssly he's been able to crossover into the mainstream when he doesn't really sell a mainstream product. 

I agree about Logic. He's one of the better rappers out these days, although he's a bit of a one trick pony and whether he wants to admit it or not, his looks hold him back as a rapper. It's hard to take him seriously in an industry that's all about ego and talking $&!#. I really like Logic but if he looked like 50 Cent he'd probably be much more established in rap. 

9 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

All of his remixes have been in between his album and his tour (And they are pretty fire). I think he just does them for fun. I know he just finished an album with Chris Brown (I am skeptical) so we will see how that goes. As far taking that next step, I just don't think he is known enough and that is why him working with Chris Brown could be a good thing for him. For example, when he came out with I'm not Racist, a lot of people thought he was the white guy and he was getting mad hate on his IG (he deletes all of his previous posts before he drops something new) for dropping the hard R, he actually dropped a post the next day and saying that he was black lol.

They're definitely fire and a great way to build hype for your album.

Look at Merkules, he's a another example of someone that went outside of the box to get their name out there. Another guy that did a good job with that is Mike Stud. He put out covers for ages and actually built a name off it. Personally, I'd say that's a better way to get your name out there than by dropping mixtapes, which has been the industry fav forever now. Those are good too, hell, any free music is great. But if you're a young guy like Murkules, a million people aren't going to download your mixtape. A million people might watch you kill a remix of Ed Sheeran's Shape Of You though...

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That collab album would be insane if it ever drops :lol:

I think they could just be taking their time like others have been saying. Kendrick has been on tour for like a calendar year and working on DAMN. before that. Cole probably similar. It's been waaaayy too long though. 

For sure. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Except for that Dre album. I don't think that'll ever come out. He's too rich and clearly wants to keep those vaults locked. 

37 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

I'm not a big hip hop aficionado, but I know what I like and it's not this. I listened to the intro, first song and shut it off half way through the second song. Listening to Forest Hills Drive right now. Reserving judgement.

Edit: Nope.

I'm pretty much eternally stuck in the late 80s, 90s and early 00's for hip hop/rap.

Bro...you made up your mind before you hit play. The intro? You're forming an opinion of the album based on the intro? Lol

It might not be for you. You might hate the album for all i know. But your opinion is preconceived and has nothing to do with the album itself.

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

Bro...you made up your mind before you hit play. The intro? You're forming an opinion of the album based on the intro? Lol

It might not be for you. You might hate the album for all i know. But your opinion is preconceived and has nothing to do with the album itself.

Uh, not to be rude but do you know what reading comprehension is? It literally says right there in the "quote" that I listened to the Intro, first track and half of the second track...

SMH, some people's children.

37 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Uh, not to be rude but do you know what reading comprehension is? It literally says right there in the "quote" that I listened to the Intro, first track and half of the second track...

SMH, some people's children.

Are u serious? Let's not pretend like you're entitled to an opinion on something you've admitted that you have absolutely no knowledge of.

Edit: well, you're entitled to have an opinion on anything you want. I think we spend too much money on space exploration and not enough on schools. But I don't pretend to know the 1st thing about space. 

Edited by VIC_CITY
5 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Are u serious? Let's not pretend like you're entitled to an opinion on something you've admitted that you have absolutely no knowledge of.

Edit: well, you're entitled to have an opinion on anything you want. I think we spend too much money on space exploration and not enough on schools. But I don't pretend to know the 1st thing about space. 

a·fi·ci·o·na·do
əˌfiSHəˈnädō,əˌfisyəˈnädō/
noun

1. a person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject, or pastime.
    "aficionados of the finest wines"

Not being very knowledgeable is not in any way the same as being unknowledgeable. I've been listening to Hip Hop for the better part of 25 years however not exclusively, so I'd like to think I can identify what I personally do and do not like. Also, my initial opinion was simply just that, I never made some grand proclamation that the album was terrible, only that after a song and a half I turned it off because it did not resonate with me.

Music of any genre is highly subjective as to what someone will or won't like. The general style of this album just doesn't do anything for me, not sure why that's so difficult to comprehend to the point where you completely took what I said so far out of context that you are in danger of falling off a cliff.

what's up with j cole and godawful hooks? some of these songs have really nice style and production, but the hooks just ruin it for me. the cutoff, in particular, should be a great track but kill edward just ruins it. hook on photograph is awful too. KOD is a pretty smooth song, though

j cole will always just be whatever to me. always struck me as the type of rapper that teenagers like, or something

but im sure the problem is me. not much in rap interests me like it used to

9 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Jealous! I've heard he puts on a good show.

I went to the Jay-Z concert a few months ago and I'm going to Post Malone on Friday. Should be fun! Post Malone is a guy that gets a lot of hate but he's probably my favorite young guy in the game right now. I wouldn't call him a rapper though...

Guys like Post, Travis, etc. are all good at what they do if you don't consider them to be purely rappers. Travis is actually one of my favourites right now.

9 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Well said. Kendrick is on another level, so i think people really appreciate how talented he is. But it's interesting how seamlesssly he's been able to crossover into the mainstream when he doesn't really sell a mainstream product. 

I agree about Logic. He's one of the better rappers out these days, although he's a bit of a one trick pony and whether he wants to admit it or not, his looks hold him back as a rapper. It's hard to take him seriously in an industry that's all about ego and talking $&!#. I really like Logic but if he looked like 50 Cent he'd probably be much more established in rap. 

Agree on Logic. The other thing that I really can't stand is how much he rips from other people. The first song on The Incredible True Story is a Kanye beat. He rips Travis hard on Wizard of Oz. I think he even used a beat from some guy on YouTube on his latest mixtape. He has the ability and talent to make good music himself (I really liked Under Pressure), but he still does that and it's annoying. His past is also insane.

11 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Hey, good on you for giving it a 2nd go when you clearly aren't a fan haha. 

I'm a bit of an old head in the sense of hip hop, so Cole is right up my alley. I've gone through so many stages in music, but hip hop has always been my go to. Probably about 80-90% of what I've listened to for the last 20 years. So it's hard for me to listen to Lil Yaughty, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Pump, all these kids...

I'm not into that stuff either, but there's just something about Cole that doesn't click for me. I don't hate on other people for liking him though, really. I can see the appeal, but it just isn't for me.

I never judge an album on a single listen, it isn't fair :P