The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yo whatchu listening to homie g? (HipHop)

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

what's up with j cole and godawful hooks? some of these songs have really nice style and production, but the hooks just ruin it for me. the cutoff, in particular, should be a great track but kill edward just ruins it. hook on photograph is awful too. KOD is a pretty smooth song, though

j cole will always just be whatever to me. always struck me as the type of rapper that teenagers like, or something

but im sure the problem is me. not much in rap interests me like it used to

Wow dude...it's crazy how we can have such differing views. I love that song and the hook is deep AF. It's about addiction. Powerful stuff IMO

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Guys like Post, Travis, etc. are all good at what they do if you don't consider them to be purely rappers. Travis is actually one of my favourites right now.

Agree on Logic. The other thing that I really can't stand is how much he rips from other people. The first song on The Incredible True Story is a Kanye beat. He rips Travis hard on Wizard of Oz. I think he even used a beat from some guy on YouTube on his latest mixtape. He has the ability and talent to make good music himself (I really liked Under Pressure), but he still does that and it's annoying. His past is also insane.

Hmmm I didn't know about him ripping anyone off? As for the beat, if it was truly a Kanye beat the he would have needes clearance to put it on his album. As for his new album, he's so talented but there a couple songs where he's just trying too hard. Like on his new hit...I think it's called Everyday. 

1 hour ago, BananaMash said:

I really dug Black Milk's album FEVER from this year. He put together some really interesting funky beats, and his rapping is consistent as always. One of my favorite guys out of Detroit right now. Could certainly understand it not being for everyone though.

Interesting. I was a huge Black Milk fan back in the day but he kind of faded off into obscurity. I totally expected him to be the new J Dilla. Wonder what happened? I'll def check the album out though, thanks!

Edited by VIC_CITY
11 hours ago, VanGnome said:
a·fi·ci·o·na·do
əˌfiSHəˈnädō,əˌfisyəˈnädō/
noun

1. a person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject, or pastime.
    "aficionados of the finest wines"

Not being very knowledgeable is not in any way the same as being unknowledgeable. I've been listening to Hip Hop for the better part of 25 years however not exclusively, so I'd like to think I can identify what I personally do and do not like. Also, my initial opinion was simply just that, I never made some grand proclamation that the album was terrible, only that after a song and a half I turned it off because it did not resonate with me.

Music of any genre is highly subjective as to what someone will or won't like. The general style of this album just doesn't do anything for me, not sure why that's so difficult to comprehend to the point where you completely took what I said so far out of context that you are in danger of falling off a cliff.

Alright, I apologize if I was a little aggressive. I try not to be that guy on CDC.

My only advice would be to actually give the album a chance before passing judgement. Especially since you like one of his previous albums. So you know he's capable of putting out music that you like. 

I'm guilty of it too though. I download so many albums, it's hard to give them all a fair shake. I find myself hitting next....next...this beat sucks, next...and that doesn't give the artist a real chance. 

There's been so many times that I flipped through albums and thought I didn't like them but then I got a real opportunity to listen to the album front to back and it was then that I truly appreciated it's greatness.

Anyways, sorry if I was being a dick haha. 

8 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Alright, I apologize if I was a little aggressive. I try not to be that guy on CDC.

My only advice would be to actually give the album a chance before passing judgement. Especially since you like one of his previous albums. So you know he's capable of putting out music that you like. 

I'm guilty of it too though. I download so many albums, it's hard to give them all a fair shake. I find myself hitting next....next...this beat sucks, next...and that doesn't give the artist a real chance. 

There's been so many times that I flipped through albums and thought I didn't like them but then I got a real opportunity to listen to the album front to back and it was then that I truly appreciated it's greatness.

Anyways, sorry if I was being a dick haha. 

Not really, I'd never heard of this guy before this thread and took the recommendation of many for what is considered by fans of his to be his best album. I didn't much like it either, lasting maybe 3 songs before turning it off. Just doesn't resonate with me, to each their own. I never put down or denigrated this guy's music/talent, far be it for me to be an authority of what's good, since it's so subjective. Kind of like me telling you what decisions are the best for you to make for yourself.

59 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Interesting. I was a huge Black Milk fan back in the day but he kind of faded off into obscurity. I totally expected him to be the new J Dilla. Wonder what happened? I'll def check the album out though, thanks!

He sort of moved away from the production end of things and focused more on rapping. Tronic, If There's a Hell Below, and FEVER are all really good solo releases. 

I think his fanbase just sort of shifted away from the beat scene to more being in the same camp as people like Oddisee and Quelle Chris.

Edited by BananaMash
7 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

He sort of moved away from the production end of things and focused more on rapping. Tronic, If There's a Hell Below, and FEVER are all really good solo releases. 

I think his fanbase just sort of shifted away from the beat scene to more being in the same camp as people like Oddisee and Quelle Chris.

That would make sense. I gave the album a quick listen. The production was waaaay different. Not that I don't think he can make it as a rapper but his production was definitely half the package. I found myself wanting to like the beats on FEVER. They're definitely a little abstract though so it's hard to process the 1st time through. 

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

That would make sense. I gave the album a quick listen. The production was waaaay different. Not that I don't think he can make it as a rapper but his production was definitely half the package. I found myself wanting to like the beats on FEVER. They're definitely a little abstract though so it's hard to process the 1st time through. 

Still his production though. I think he just really enjoys pushing the envelope.

He's definitely already made it though. Not into the mainstream bug he's one of the top indie/underground guys right now.

Edited by BananaMash
16 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

You's a Pop Tart, sweetheart, you soft in the middle
I eat ya for breakfast, the watch was an exchange for your necklace
And your boss is a bltch, if he could he would
Sell his soul for cheap, trade his life to be Suge
You can buy cars, but you can't buy respect in the hood
Maybe I'm so disrespectful cause to me you're a mystery
I know niggas from ya hood, you have no history
Never poked nothing, never popped nothing, nigga stop fronting
Jay put you on, X made you hot
Now you run around like you some big shot
Ha ha, pussy

Ja has made nice hits with DMX and Jay Z.

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, J-23 said:

@TNucks1 and @otherwise what are your thoughts on Coles new album?

I've only listened to it twice but thus far I like it. I don't think it's better than FHD, imo his best album. (it was in my car for over a year). Right now my fave songs are ATM and 1985. Anyone else think Cole will drop another album called the fall off in dec?

3 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Anyone here a Donald Glover/Childish Gambino fan?

I really like awaken, my love!

• Like 2