The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Article: The Score's Mock Expansion Draft Protection Lists for teams in Pacific Div.

Beary Sweet

http://www.thescore.com/news/1247561

According to The Score's published article, they have the Canucks protecting forwards Sedins and Eriksson (NMC), Baertschi, Granlund, Gaunce and Bo. For defencemen, they have us projected to protect Edler, Tanev, Sbisa. For netminders, they obviously have Marky protected with Miller due a contract after this season.  I'm very happy with the list they have chosen for our team. Sure we're missing a few forwards that should be worth protecting like Boucher, Sutter and defenceman like Guddy, but what I like about this list is that it enables us to keep Gaunce who has some goal scoring potential and Sbisa who has grown into one of the most relied upon defenceman for the team this season. Also tough to expose Guddy who is very young and has an established career already all at the age of 24 but he hasn't produced enough that will make Vegas want him imo. Lots of people are going to hate on me on this but this is the right thing to do for the club moving forward. He's likely also going to demand top dollar so I could see Vegas passing on him. Imo, Vegas will choose between Sutter, Pedan and Guddy eventually ending up picking Pedan. They will pass on Guddy since he is a RFA. Really think they'll pass on Sutter due to his largely overpaid contract and go with Pedan imo. Vegas probably want to go young and Pedan will certainly help them build a foundation of their own.  He would not be a huge loss to the team thanks to our new profound depth in our back end but that's why we have the draft this year with free agency just around the corner shortly after to address these issues. I predict that Pedan will be the casualty because I read on Hockey News Magazine once that Vegas will pick Andrey somehow. it had my head shaking a bit at first but makes sense because he's young and we haven't really given him chance yet this season other than some parts of last season and with him going to Vegas, he will have every opportunity to prove that he is NHL ready. We're forced to also expose newly acquired waiver pick up Crammer, Biega but these players are easily replacable come the offseason and shouldn't be on Vegas' radar. Overall, I agree with the list they've made and hope that you do as well. GCG!

I highly doubt that they would pass on both Gudbrandson and Sutter and go for Pedan.  

Think of it in terms of value...  you could get very good value for two of those, and the third has cleared waivers multiple times.

No chance we don't protect Sutter.

On Guddy, Benning just can't afford to lose Guddy for nothing (given we traded a first rounder and another pick for him) even though it 'might' be an ok move to keep Sbisa over him tbh - I can see a debate there and rationale but I think Benning can't afford to do that 'optically'

Gaunce, while young and is pretty decent, is a dime a dozen. He's not great at anything and never will be. He's a good all around player who will be a solid NHL'er on the bottom 2 lines for his career. They can fill that void rather easily

The cannot fill the void of losing sutter at this stage (especially with how the sedins seem to be slowing down) and no future 2/3c in the pipeline - and Guance can by no means fill Sutter's role. Sutter is also only 27 and a key transition piece once the twins are gone so I disagree with that one.

No chance vegas takes an AHLer over Gudbranson who is 24 years old or Sutter who could be a fixture as their 2c, thus if either of them are available, one is taken

My view is this will be the list

Sedins

Erickson

Sutter

Bo

Baer

Granlund

Defense

Edler

Tanev

Guddy

I think we lose Sbisa unless we can make a trade for Edler (or even Tanev if the return is solid) prior to the draft - which I hope to be the case.

I've kicked around the idea of exposing Sutter. It makes sense considering what he's being paid for what he brings. I don't know about Gaunce vaulting into the protection list though, seems like a waste. 

Guddy vs. Sbisa will be debated on here until the actual expansion draft. Guddy is an unknown with us, and could be looking at a fat and undeserved extension this summer. Sbisa is on contract, and we know what he brings. 

The choices facing management will be tricky heading into the expansion draft. Though I think there are only a few players worth debating, as the likes of Tanev/Edler/Sedins/Granlund/Baertschi/Horvat should be locks, with Eriksson as an obvious afterthought (though our hands are tied). 

9 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I've kicked around the idea of exposing Sutter. It makes sense considering what he's being paid for what he brings. I don't know about Gaunce vaulting into the protection list though, seems like a waste. 

Guddy vs. Sbisa will be debated on here until the actual expansion draft. Guddy is an unknown with us, and could be looking at a fat and undeserved extension this summer. Sbisa is on contract, and we know what he brings. 

The choices facing management will be tricky heading into the expansion draft. Though I think there are only a few players worth debating, as the likes of Tanev/Edler/Sedins/Granlund/Baertschi/Horvat should be locks, with Eriksson as an obvious afterthought (though our hands are tied). 

Agree with all of that but no chance we don't protect sutter. We have no one close to his ability to step into his role. Granny just isn't big enough to play the C role and looks to be the next fixture on the twins line till they retire. Not to mention Sutter has a done a good job in his role and is only 27. He's an important transition piece for when Henrik is gone, we only have Bo and Him and probably whomever we draft this year (asuming C with our first pick) who will still be developing.

I don't think they are tricky issues other than Sbisa and Guddy - I agree and think the 'safe' route is actually protect Sbisa but optically as I said prior, it will be hard for Benning to just let him go for nothing after giving up McCann and a pick

It will be hard to find a way to not lose someone valuable as many teams are going to be in this bind, but if they can find a team with a young player that doesn't need to be protected, has room on D for one dman (or one of our players is substantially better) you trade one of our d for a young forward and a pick.

Issue is, its going to be hard to find a partner and if you do the numbers will be limited giving them alot of leverage.

15 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Why did we trade for Guddy again? 

We had no idea that we'd sign Stecher and he'd be so awesome or that Try would be groot on the ice! LOL

I think this is going to be the tough decision for the nucks if they can't move a dman prior to the expansion draft (which will be tough as all teams are in a bind to a degree)

Sbisa we know what he is and he's really turning into a very good, phsyical dman who has better mobility and skating in general than Gud

Gud is an unknown and skating is suspect but optically can't give him up for free -gjven we gave up McCann and a pick for him

Find a partner for Tanev or Edler JB and get us a young center (that we dont have to protect) in return plus a pick!!!

Then

Edler Stecher

Hutton Gud

Sbisa Try

Or

Hutton Tanev

Sbisa Gud

Try Stech

Personally I like the top group better, even though I like Tanev over Edler, I think we lose less  with Tanev than we do with Edler. We don't really have a top pairing LD other than him, while amazingly we're pretty darn good on the 'challenging to find' right side.

I'm sure privately the Canucks have some regret for Louis Eriksson and his term. 

Hindsight is 20/20 though. 

They probably regret drafting for need over BPA which is what they did with Juolevi,McCann, and Virtanen.

Anyways they tabbed Sutter a foundation piece same with Erik Gudbranson. Despite the fact Sutter is not more than a third liner and Gudbranson is a third pair d at best by any measure and never hand any offensive upside going back to juniors.

They essentially traded a good 2nd line center in Kesler for a 3rd pair d man in Gudbranson. Not a great trade after all. I get their hands were tied but still.

So they have to protect Sutter and Gudbranson no matter what. Sbisa if they lose him for nothing will hurt but not as much as losing a Baertschi or Granlund.

7 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I'm sure privately the Canucks have some regret for Louis Eriksson and his term. 

Hindsight is 20/20 though. 

They probably regret drafting for need over BPA which is what they did with Juolevi,McCann, and Virtanen.

Anyways they tabbed Sutter a foundation piece same with Erik Gudbranson. Despite the fact Sutter is not more than a third liner and Gudbranson is a third pair d at best by any measure and never hand any offensive upside going back to juniors.

They essentially traded a good 2nd line center in Kesler for a 3rd pair d man in Gudbranson. Not a great trade after all. I get their hands were tied but still.

So they have to protect Sutter and Gudbranson no matter what. Sbisa if they lose him for nothing will hurt but not as much as losing a Baertschi or Granlund.

Benning in a round about way got Sbisa/Sutter/Gud for Kesler and a 2nd it was a very good trade given how his hands were tied.

Sutter has been a very good 2/3c for us. He can fill in at 2c and is a solid 3c and does alot of the 'tough d' roles...he's highly underappreciated here.

Gudbranson, I had high hopes for, but its hard to know what we have, never expected points and I do think he's the type of guy that you want come playoff time, that's when his value shows. Games are more grinding board work etc.

Juloevi is a stud, Virtanen jury is still out and we've made up for the 'offensive flair' potentially lost in Nylander/Ehlers in Dahlen and Goldobin  - both very gifted offensively so having those two and Virtanen if he can turn into a physical winger with hand we're pobably further ahead than with just either of them and those two new additions. If you look at Benning's moves/picks you can see how he's building out a 'team' not just trying to fill it with all the same types of players

I commented on Juolevi vs Tkatchuk on my Benning thread - go read my post there - we didn't choose wrong there at all in my view and I have watched a TON of OJ

As long as we protect Horvat, Tanev, Baertschi, Granlund, and Gaunce; I don't really care who else we protect. 

I can see these players being apart of the solution going forward. Along with hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, a few of our prospects and a couple years of draft picks. Protect whatever else has most value. 

I see a lot of people see Gaunce as "replaceable". On a nightly basis, he consistently has the best corsi on the team, and is excellent  at board battles, PK'ing, and D-zone positioning. Those are not replaceable skills especially at his young age. IF... Gaunce can find a way to start scoring he will be a fantastic 3rd line player(maybe more) and it will be worth protecting him. If not, he will be a servicable minute cruncher on the 4th line. Worth losing a player who will be either gone or buyout candidate in 3-4 years.

Gaunce has turned into one of my favourite players, so maybe I'm biased here.

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Sure we're missing a few forwards that should be worth protecting like Boucher, Sutter and defenceman like Guddy, but what I like about this list is that it enables us to keep Gaunce who has some goal scoring potential 

Gaunce has goal scoring potential?

57 games this season. 0 goals. Hmm...

8 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

As long as we protect Horvat, Tanev, Baertschi, Granlund, and Gaunce; I don't really care who else we protect. 

I can see these players being apart of the solution going forward. Along with hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, a few of our prospects and a couple years of draft picks. Protect whatever else has most value. 

I see a lot of people see Gaunce as "replaceable". On a nightly basis, he consistently has the best corsi on the team, and is excellent  at board battles, PK'ing, and D-zone positioning. Those are not replaceable skills especially at his young age. IF... Gaunce can find a way to start scoring he will be a fantastic 3rd line player(maybe more) and it will be worth protecting him. If not, he will be a servicable minute cruncher on the 4th line. Worth losing a player who will be either gone or buyout candidate in 3-4 years.

Gaunce has turned into one of my favourite players, so maybe I'm biased here.

I like gaunce and didn't know that about his advanced stats but just see his mobility and speed as holding him back. sure he's improved slightly there and still can (as we saw how much Bo has improved), but he just seems to be a 'clunky' skater  - I dont think its that hard to find 3/4th line solild players in the AHL/NHL and this guy is not a future selke winning player IMHO - I like him but replaceable in my view - ie Look at Chaput - in my view there's our next 3c

24 minutes ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

Benning in a round about way got Sbisa/Sutter/Gud for Kesler and a 2nd it was a very good trade given how his hands were tied.

Sutter has been a very good 2/3c for us. He can fill in at 2c and is a solid 3c and does alot of the 'tough d' roles...he's highly underappreciated here.

Gudbranson, I had high hopes for, but its hard to know what we have, never expected points and I do think he's the type of guy that you want come playoff time, that's when his value shows. Games are more grinding board work etc.

Juloevi is a stud, Virtanen jury is still out and we've made up for the 'offensive flair' potentially lost in Nylander/Ehlers in Dahlen and Goldobin  - both very gifted offensively so having those two and Virtanen if he can turn into a physical winger with hand we're pobably further ahead than with just either of them and those two new additions. If you look at Benning's moves/picks you can see how he's building out a 'team' not just trying to fill it with all the same types of players

I commented on Juolevi vs Tkatchuk on my Benning thread - go read my post there - we didn't choose wrong there at all in my view and I have watched a TON of OJ

I'll check it out. There was a guy who covers the Knights in London on 1040 today he said going back even he was shocked the Canucks took Juikevi with Tkachuk sitting there.

He said there is nothing flashy about Juolevis game. He said he is a smart well rounded guy good character.

Sounded like he said he will be a solid player like a Hamhuis top 4 d most of his career hover between 25-40 points a year.

Like I said I see him like an Olli Maata type once he bulks up a little. Dont thinks he's a STUD Good all round player like a young Hamhuis overall not flashy and not a true #1. Top 4 for sure likely ceiling as #2 in his prime.

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I'll check it out. There was a guy who covers the Knights in London on 1040 today he said going back even he was shocked the Canucks took Juikevi with Tkachuk sitting there.

He said there is nothing flashy about Juolevis game. He said he is a smart well rounded guy good character.

Sounded like he said he will be a solid player like a Hamhuis top 4 d most of his career hover between 25-40 points a year.

Much better than Hammer - nothing flashy but he is incredibly effective

You don't need to be flashy to be great - Lidstrom was barely noticable on the ice but he seemed to be unbeatable defensively and drove the offensive game with his slick passing.

Guy covers the Knights seems to think flash means success and I get it given they've had Perry, Kane, Marner, Tavares, Nash etc...but that's not what always means effective.

1 minute ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

Much better than Hammer - nothing flashy but he is incredibly effective

You don't need to be flashy to be great - Lidstrom was barely noticable on the ice but he seemed to be unbeatable defensively and drove the offensive game with his slick passing.

Guy covers the Knights seems to think flash means success and I get it given they've had Perry, Kane, Marner, Tavares, Nash etc...but that's not what always means effective.

That's true I suppose we need to see him much better he looks at the NHL level where it is a more structured and thinking game. Hockey IQ and skating is his strength for sure. Well see how he translates his offensive game.

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I don't think Sutter's contract is bad at all.

Well on it's own sure but keep in mind Vancouver also signed Loui Eriksson to that monster contract and in the long Vancouver has to re-sign Stecher, Hutton, Horvat, Boeser, etc. 

Archived