The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Womens USA Hockey won't play in World Championships due to stalled negotiations

10 hours ago, Bo053 said:

Good luck ever getting the same amount of support that the men's programs get lol.

The kids playing on the national teams in the men's U16 or U18 or U21 teams all potentially have a shot at the NHL someday, the women don't.

I think there is some kind of law in the States saying the women's programs are supposed to be supported equally to the men.  Or, is that just at the college level?

Just for reference, this is how much Hockey Canada pays it's women's players:

Canada, the world's other women's hockey powerhouse, puts more money into the sport in part because of government funding.

Hockey Canada general manager of women's programs Melody Davidson said development players receive $900 a month and senior-level players $1,500 a month even outside Olympic years and that players are supported full-time for nine months around the Olympics.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/usa-hockey-sets-thursday-deadline-womens-players-wage-fight/

I can see why the American players are angry when they only receive (allegedly) $1000 per month for just six months out of every four years

To the people who are saying that the women don't deserve to make millions like the men do: they aren't asking for millions. They are asking for fair wages that allow them to train like pro athletes without then having to hold down 2 extra jobs or ask family for money. 

These are elite level athletes who are expected to perform as such but are not supported in their quest to do so

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think there is some kind of law in the States saying the women's programs are supposed to be supported equally to the men.  Or, is that just at the college level?

What you are referring to is Title IX (a portion of the United States Education Amendments of 1972).

It states (in part) that "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance." However, it specifies that it specifically applies to educational institutions so I don't think it applies here. 

Even though they receive more money, the professional women's hockey players in the NWHL don't make much of a living wage either.  If you don't bring in the dough, you don't get much back.  It's a fact of life.

USA Hockey is technically a non-profit organization.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-03-18 at 10:38 AM, SabreFan1 said:

Even though they receive more money, the professional women's hockey players in the NWHL don't make much of a living wage either.  If you don't bring in the dough, you don't get much back.  It's a fact of life.

USA Hockey is technically a non-profit organization.

i love that saying because its as if the women players have this national platform to perform on live tv every night and not when "it's shiny medal time, time to care about the women" :x the us hockey program is pretty much a close second behind canada, but i'd say its on par with canada. and i dont blame the women for wanting more for playing just as hard as everyone else. i didn't know NWHL was a real thing, but i guess it is and thats kind of the problem women's hockey has always faced

5 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i love that saying because its as if the women players have this national platform to perform on live tv every night and not when "it's shiny medal time, time to care about the women" :x the us hockey program is pretty much a close second behind canada, but i'd say its on par with canada. and i dont blame the women for wanting more for playing just as hard as everyone else. i didn't know NWHL was a real thing, but i guess it is and thats kind of the problem women's hockey has always faced

And even the NWHL is in financial trouble.  It's a fact of life that if you don't make any or much money at all for the people that control the finances, you have little to no leverage.  The USA hockey women's team is finding that out the hard way.

They're using the only leverage that they have right now.  Only time will tell if that's enough leverage to get them what they want.

6 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i did hear a few days ago that the usa men's team would boycott playing as well 

if the usa women's team did not play

does anyone have an update on this ???

20 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i did hear a few days ago that the usa men's team would boycott playing as well 

if the usa women's team did not play

does anyone have an update on this ???

That's still the case.  At least that's the supposed rumour going around NHL locker rooms according to some reporters.

I wish the women luck, but unless the men follow through with their threat and/or the gov't gets involved, I'm not sure that they're going to get equal pay/treatment.

I vaguely remember the US Women's national soccer team going through a similar battle within the past couple of years.  I also saw a tweet in the past couple of days from the MLBPA suggesting that all women boycott the Worlds in support of the US women.  That might get some attention, not sure how likely it would be to happen.  

I support the US Women, it seems at odds that they are expected to rep their country for all these national and world events without getting reasonable funding to provide proper training.  

A few years ago there were pro women's teams here in the Vancouver area, they didn't last long as there was little support for them and the owners either moved the teams or folded, not sure if the league they were playing in survived or died.   Very few women's sports are a commercial success, so if countries want teams to rep them they need to provide adequate funding.  

46 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Shouldn't they just play for the love of the game?

/s

They do play for the love of the game.  To play at the level needed to compete with our Canadian girls though, requires full time training.  That's hard to do when you have to work full time too.  I heard Haley Wickenheiser say our girls get 1500 dollars every month from hockey Canada to help them.  It's not a lot, but it's enough to allow the girls to work only part time part time.  

• 1 month later...

Yawn, is it over now?

Boring.

Nothing happened and nobody cared. 

I wonder what portion of the fan base was family and friends. 

What kind of gun was held to these victims heads by the greedy Capitalists that stole from them?

Who forced them to play for their National Team?

The team had zero problem filling their spots because people want to do it. They want to. Non issue. 

Archived