The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Citi Field expected to host 2018 Winter Classic between Rangers, Sabres

The New York Rangers are expected to host the Buffalo Sabres at Citi Field for the 2018 Winter Classic, Arthur Staple of Newsday reported Wednesday, citing a pair of sources.

It will be the first Winter Classic staged in New York, and the first NHL event at the New York Mets' ballpark in Queens.

Each team has appeared in one New Year's Day showcase. New York visited Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia in 2012, and Buffalo hosted the Pittsburgh Penguins in the event's debut in 2008.

The Rangers were visitors in a pair of Stadium Series games at Yankee Stadium in 2014 against the New Jersey Devils and New York Islanders.

Busch Stadium in St. Louis hosted the NHL's last Winter Classic between the Blues and Chicago Blackhawks. This game was pushed back to Jan. 2, with the Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings meeting in the Centennial Classic on New Year's Day in Toronto.

Staple notes that there were rumored talks of the Rangers hosting the event at West Point.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1255640

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It seems like the interest in these outdoor games has declined dramatically ever since they started doing multiple outdoors games a year after the lockout season.

I used to watch every single one when they first came out.  Now I don't even care enough to remember when the games are or who is playing in them.

2 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

I used to watch every single one when they first came out.  Now I don't even care enough to remember when the games are or who is playing in them.

It sounds like they do some fun things to make it a good event, but I can't imagine going to one of those games, sitting so far back from the play.  Unless they charge nosebleed rates for all seats, it seems like a ripoff to me.  Add in the decreased quality of the playing environment (ice, air temp, precipitation risks), it seems so pointless to me, as a viewing fan.

Anyone know what the players really think of it?

This would've been a good year for the Canucks to host an outdoor game, with all of the cold snowy weather we've had. I was at the last one (against OTT), where Torts wouldn't play Lu. Seemed kind of cheesy with the fake snow and the BC Place roof closed. But also cool, as they had the 94 team there.

Yes, it seems like the same teams over and over (NYR, PIT, CHI, PHI, etc) Would be nice to see (if not Canucks) Florida at Winnipeg, with Lu starting. 

Archived