The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pittsburgh college draft pick may not sign

bobbyg43

They really need to change the rules in regards to college  drafted players. 

They should have to decide in there draft year if they go into the draft the same rules apply as with chl and anyone one else. Or at that point they can op out of the draft which makes them ineligible for the NHL for two seasons and the would be ufas after the two seasons are done And still restricted with a elc. 

It must be concerning for gms selecting a college kid at the draft wondering if they are going to sign or screw you.

3 minutes ago, combover said:

They really need to change the rules in regards to college  drafted players. 

They should have to decide in there draft year if they go into the draft the same rules apply as with chl and anyone one else. Or at that point they can op out of the draft which makes them ineligible for the NHL for two seasons and the would be ufas after the two seasons are done And still restricted with a elc. 

It must be concerning for gms selecting a college kid at the draft wondering if they are going to sign or screw you.

Any drafted player can do that. It doesn't matter what program they're from. 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Easy come, easy go.  Bed made, Pens sleeping in it.

Penguins are sleeping in the penthouse and never seem to leave it, lots of bubbly drank out of the big cup there. I don't think they are too worried about this guy.

44 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Any drafted player can do that. It doesn't matter what program they're from. 

Thanks for that,  I didn't know that. I was under the impression it was a college loophole. It's curious we don't see it more from players from the other programs thou. 

59 minutes ago, combover said:

Thanks for that,  I didn't know that. I was under the impression it was a college loophole. It's curious we don't see it more from players from the other programs thou. 

The most egregious example from "our side" was probably Lindros when he refused to go to Quebec.

You don't see it up here very often because you can't play major junior in Canada past the age of 20 (or you can't be over 20 to start your last season)
whereas in the States you have a well established College/University league where it's not uncommon to see players 23 or 24 years old.
So in that regard, their leagues are kind of a development step that sandwiches in between Major Junior and the AHL. 
The other option being overseas obviously. 

I think part of it is that the whole NCAA free agent thing has been en vogue the last number of years. That can play with a kids head. Look at Aston-Reese. He's projected to be a bottom 6 player at the pro level. A good one, but still..... the way people talk about him it's like he's gonna be Connor McGretzier. 
They do have an advantage though because in many cases they are farther along in their development than a kid coming straight out of Junior. I suppose that's the appeal. 

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I am not.

College guys have some risk sure, but they also come to the team more "cooked" and some like Stecher can almost step right in. Its worth the risk. 

Plus one would hope that the GM would have a sense that things in the college drafts camp were trending to free agency and maybe a trade for his rights could occur before hand, but I'm not certain about that - do you know if rights to a college player can be traded before they are officially done playing?

1 hour ago, combover said:

Junior and overseas players can refuse to sign too, just that it'd mean they go back into the draft. Think Subban when he was signed late in his eligibility, and the lesser commotion over getting Tryamkin signed (when both were locked up without too much concern). They could refuse the second time around and get to UFA to try and pick their destination but it just doesn't happen like it would with a college player who can't sign a contract until he chooses to leave college to go pro.

Pitts basically just upgraded a prospect. I suspect they aren't really that worried about this guy deciding to go his full four years and go to free agency. We don't expect any of our good college prospects to play their full four years, or even three years in a number of cases.

3 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

I'm worried about gaudette not gonna lie

Not at all. I think he will be here after another season. Needs more strength.

I think he knows that he isn't ready strength wise to make the NHL and so decided he's better staying in school another year than going to Utica.

3 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Do they not feed kids that play in the NCAA?

Jeez... 6' 165 lbs?  Dude is freakin anorexic :o

Must be all the BPA in plastic bottles and all the #fakefood we have these days, destroying at the testosterone in these boys so when they reach maturity they resemble a little girl.

Yeah 165 pounds (listed, so probably even less) at 6'0 at age 22 is ridiculous and unacceptable. 

10 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

I'm worried about gaudette not gonna lie

Worry if he doesn't sign next year- He needs some size and strength this and will be the top center on the team for his 3rd year.

If he has a big year next year and show's he's physically ready but still doesn't sign, then may be time to get a bit ansty as we're going into his final year

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bigger risk signing an NCAA player than a Russian right now

I think the key is sign them before they enter their 4th year. If they aren't signed by then, there's probably a decent probability they go UFA (assuming they have shown they have real potential to that point).

Archived