The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Benning says kids are going to get more ice time now

wren223

Report from TSN states that Benning now believes that the Canuck's chances at the playoffs are slim and it's time to see what they have in their young players. Talks about 'Boucher' and seeing what he can do with some more ice time. Liked his game on Saturday. Also goes on to say that WD is going to be onboard. The idea of competing hard for the playoffs each night is going to shift to the idea of viewing young players, giving them lots of ice time and putting them in different situations.

According to Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning, "reality has set in," and it's now time for the team to give the younger players on their roster more playing time.

The Canucks sit 12 points out of the final playoff spot in the Western Conference with just 13 games remaining in their season and Benning told the Vancouver Sun on Tuesday the team has to start looking at their future.

“In this last little stretch of games, we’ve got to take a look at some of these young kids and see where they’re at,” Benning said Tuesday.

“I thought (Monday) night,

, you could see the powerful shot he’s got and the quick release. With more ice time, I think he’ll get more confidence and will show us the things he’s capable of doing.”

Boucher registered five shots against the Boston Bruins in just over 11 minutes of ice time. The 23-year-old owns three goals and two assists in 26 games this season.

Benning said that he has spoken to head coach Willie Desjardins about the team's philosophy change over the final stretch and Desjardins is "going to be on-board" with the plan.

“I talk to Willie on a day-to-day basis and we talk about (ice time for players),” Benning said. “Up to this point, his focus was to try and compete hard every night and win enough games to challenge for one of those last playoff spots.

“Now that reality has set in, he’s going to be on-board with getting our young kids more ice time.”

Benning told the Sun the Canucks added 26-year-old

last week to avoid calling up any more players from the Utica Comets. The Comets are chasing the Toronto Marlies for third in the AHL's North Division. Benning added he believes

will benefit from remaining with the Comets and playing meaningful games in a playoff push.

The Canucks have 13 players on their roster age 25 or younger.

http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-benning-kids-to-get-more-ice-time-1.696978

This is a good thing and is releveant at this time. Think it'll be hard for WD but Benning has come out and stated he'll be on board. So it should be interesting. It's been suggested the team is playing for WD so I hope they keep playing for him but let's put those kids in the tough moments and see how they do. Got to grow and develop and why not see now. See how the game against Dallas goes.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's what needs to be done.  Willie is on notice now.  He may not be able to save his job regardless of what happens, but he's guaranteed to be fired if he keeps running Henrik, Daniel, Edler and Miller into the ground.

Too true. If the team isn't making the playoffs then ease up on those guys and let them rest and ease into the off season. They have to play next season so start the rest and recovery and see what the kids can do.

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm trying not to read into but that's a pretty concerning quote.  

Benning isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, I think that's just his eloquent way of saying in managements mind the team has officially reached the point of no return in the standings.

1 minute ago, b3. said:

I hope he clarified with Willie whether Megna is considered a young kid or not.

I was wondering about that because now it's audition time to know who they will bring back next season.  I don't think WD sees him as a vet because he talked of how Megna wanted to continue to improve and earn a larger role.  

11 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Benning isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, I think that's just his eloquent way of saying in managements mind the team has officially reached the point of no return in the standings.

Doesn't it mean the Playoff race is officially over so it's time to let the inexperienced get experience win or lose now...

14 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Sounds like Benning and Willie weren't on the same page.  Hopefully they are now.

I don't think it is that they aren't on the same page but more that Benning has seen the writing on the wall and that the focus needs to change. Instead of competing and aiming for the playoffs it's time to put the kids in all situations and live or die by them. Instead of not putting on inexperienced youth in a clutch moment of a game it is now the time to do that.

Thus, Benning has simply spoken with WD and let him know the phylosophy has changed a bit. I don't think they weren't on the same page just that the focus  has changed now.

We should throw Grenier some top 6 time. He has lead our farm team in scoring year over year and has only played 19 minutes in the NHL this season. He hasn't shown much, but we might as well see if there is anything there before we decide to not sign him. Shame we developed him pretty well just to never give him a chance. 

Boucher is another kid who should be getting big minutes. Send Megna back down to help the Comets. 

3 minutes ago, wren223 said:

I read it more as that the focus on the team from a management point has shifted and it's just letting WD know.

There was the Willie D interview last September too, where he said this season can't have the mixed message of win and develop.  I'm wondering if JB gave Willie this season to prove himself?

Archived