wren223

[Article] Benning says kids are going to get more ice time now

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's what needs to be done.  Willie is on notice now.  He may not be able to save his job regardless of what happens, but he's guaranteed to be fired if he keeps running Henrik, Daniel, Edler and Miller into the ground.

Too true. If the team isn't making the playoffs then ease up on those guys and let them rest and ease into the off season. They have to play next season so start the rest and recovery and see what the kids can do.

• Upvote 1

Hope this means that Megna's minutes will be trimmed back significantly. He has no business playing above the 3rd line on a good night.

• Upvote 2

Should wake up Willie. I was getting sick of seeing Megna getting all that time. We now know that JB has spoken to WD, and that going to the press with this reinforces that young players should be played. 

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm trying not to read into but that's a pretty concerning quote.  

Benning isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, I think that's just his eloquent way of saying in managements mind the team has officially reached the point of no return in the standings.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, b3. said:

I hope he clarified with Willie whether Megna is considered a young kid or not.

I was wondering about that because now it's audition time to know who they will bring back next season.  I don't think WD sees him as a vet because he talked of how Megna wanted to continue to improve and earn a larger role.  

14 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm trying not to read into it but that's a pretty concerning quote.  

:huh:?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Benning isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, I think that's just his eloquent way of saying in managements mind the team has officially reached the point of no return in the standings.

Doesn't it mean the Playoff race is officially over so it's time to let the inexperienced get experience win or lose now...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm trying not to read into it but that's a pretty concerning quote.  

True.  Doesn't that quote imply Willie D was not on board before?

• Upvote 2

We should throw Grenier some top 6 time. He has lead our farm team in scoring year over year and has only played 19 minutes in the NHL this season. He hasn't shown much, but we might as well see if there is anything there before we decide to not sign him. Shame we developed him pretty well just to never give him a chance. 

Boucher is another kid who should be getting big minutes. Send Megna back down to help the Comets. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, wren223 said:

I read it more as that the focus on the team from a management point has shifted and it's just letting WD know.

There was the Willie D interview last September too, where he said this season can't have the mixed message of win and develop.  I'm wondering if JB gave Willie this season to prove himself?

If they gear down the Sedins and Sutter won't that mean MORE Megna? 

:ph34r: