The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 - March 16 2017

tybarber

4 minutes ago, hearditall said:

JB's lack of movement last season TDL paid off big time this TDL. There is always a reason people, but I find it hilarious at times with the conspiracie theories here... 

I mean did ANYONE think we were getting a high end Prospect like Dahlen for Burrows a year ago. NO. Fact was that most here wanted him to be bought out of his contract. 

Also most thought Hansen would get us a 2nd or 3rd but again JB got us a little more than that & years ahead of the draft pick.

That's why I say let the GM be the GM...There's no way JB lets everything out of the tool box as we've seen now...(talks to WD on regular daily basis, supported WD's coaching, etc.)

I wonder if Hammer had to do it over again, if he would pick Washington to end his career instead of holding out for someone in the west. Last TDL was a total handcuff situation for JB. Is the AZ GM terrible now, because he couldn't move Doan? And he's supposed to be Mr. Asset Management. 

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Key quote for the future came near the end:

This is how he envisions the team, with or without Willie as coach (although I think he ultimately wants the same thing).  Not a bottom line of plugs, grinders, or thugs, but FOUR lines of fast-skating players all capable of scoring.

So all's we need is another Horvat down the middle (Bergeron/Krejci like) (Kopitar/Carter like) & a few prospects like Boeser, Dahlen, Goldy, Gaudette, Lockwood, Jasek, this years draft, etc. to develop. 

So he's not Dreaming & Tanking & preying for the Lottery to build this Team. He's actually got a plan just like they did in Boston....:shock:...

5 minutes ago, hearditall said:

JB's lack of movement last season TDL paid off big time this TDL. There is always a reason people, but I find it hilarious at times with the conspiracie theories here... 

I mean did ANYONE think we were getting a high end Prospect like Dahlen for Burrows a year ago. NO. Fact was that most here wanted him to be bought out of his contract. 

Also most thought Hansen would get us a 2nd or 3rd but again JB got us a little more than that & years ahead of the draft pick.

That's why I say let the GM be the GM...There's no way JB lets everything out of the tool box as we've seen now...(talks to WD on regular daily basis, supported WD's coaching, etc.)

I was one of those. Always glad to be proven wrong.

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I wonder if Hammer had to do it over again, if he would pick Washington to end his career instead of holding out for someone in the west. Last TDL was a total handcuff situation for JB. Is the AZ GM terrible now, because he couldn't move Doan? And he's supposed to be Mr. Asset Management. 

Vrbata didn't move either even at $1 mill compared to $5 mill JB was dealing with...He's a floater & that doesn't go in the PLAYOFFS...

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Key quote for the future came near the end:

This is how he envisions the team, with or without Willie as coach (although I think he ultimately wants the same thing).  Not a bottom line of plugs, grinders, or thugs, but FOUR lines of fast-skating players all capable of scoring.

With a spoonfull of physicality and 2 way play- youve got a nice recipe cooking up

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Benning: Coaches have to walk the fine line of being competitive, winning games and making kids earn their icetime.

— TSN Radio Vancouver (@TSN1040) March 16, 2017

Bingo.  This is what most of the kids here don't seem to grasp.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

TSN Radio Vancouver ✔@TSN1040

Benning: Coaches have to walk the fine line of being competitive, winning games and making kids earn their icetime

6:51 PM - 16 Mar 2017

Maybe now we can for once and all shut down all these theories about WD going solo with his distribution of playing time for the youngsters.

Seems very evident that they are totally onboard with what WD had been doing all along...

Canucks last two season.....Winning games?

...one of these things is not like the other

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

From the decisions Hamhuis made, I don't think winning is top of his priority, his priority is a place close to home to settle his family first then he would consider other things like winning. Doan's number has not been good this year and no one at the deadline want to pick up an expensive 4th liner when other options out there are available. Too early to evaluate the AZ GM, it's his first year at the job and he basically inherited the majority of his roster from the previous regime, will see how he does in a couple years of time.

1 minute ago, hearditall said:

Vrbata didn't move either even at $1 mill compared to $5 mill JB was dealing with...He's a floater & that doesn't go in the PLAYOFFS...

Yah there are a lot of things that JBs done that got a 16 ton weight dropped on at the time, and that hack Travis Yost fed off  for a year, that now have turned out to be correct or like with the trades, out of his hands. 

I thought this was a straight forward interview and I believe Benning answered all questions as honestly as he could.

I am sure some on here will still not be satisfied no matter what happens with the rest of the season - but we are smack dab in the middle of a rebuild?transition and I don't think the future looks bleak at all.  I see lots of budding talent coming on line - can they perform at an NHL level - we get to find out over the next couple years

Heard Tomlinson(spelling) on TSN saying something about Henrik and Daniel taking responsibility for a number of the games lost this year - anyone know  where that interview with the Sedins might be?

Anyways back to Benning - good interview!

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

I think you must be projecting. I found JB to be very credible as usual. He has always struck me as being honest to a fault. Your post, on the other hand...

I think this interview was one of the best Benning has done. He is always more honest than  most GMs. But I have not always liked what he had to say. Today, I thought that his comments made sense to me. For example, at the start of the 2015 season he was all about bringing Jake (and McCann) up to the big team before they were ready. Today he talked about leaving Jake in Utica, regaining confidence (that was lost partly be bringing him up too early), etc. 

Point by point, I thought he was pretty good today.

44 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Juolevi was always described as an "all around" defenseman, good at everything not great at anything.  I don't think anyone considers him a true PP QB.

29 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Clearly Jim is eyeing up Liljegren 

Yes, I was surprised to hear JB acknowledge that getting a "true PP defenceman" was still a big need for the team despite picking Juolevi last year. I think it is true, but it is kind of like acknowledging that Juolevi is not as good a prospect as a lot of people thought. @CanadianRugby is right that a lot of scouts said that Juolevi was good at most things (not everything -- his contribution to the physical game is negligible) but not great at anything, and that is why almost every credible ranking organization had Tkachuk ahead of Juolevi in last year's draft. (And Juolevi certainly drops a few spots in the redraft.)

The other need identified by Benning was for a potential 1C or 2C. Hard to argue with that.

I hope the Canucks do not go "off the board" again. So they should take Patrick or Hischier if they are lucky enough to get one of the top two lottery spots. Vilardi and Liljgren and Mittlestadt seem to be the favorites at 3, 4 and 5. That ordering seems fine to me: four good centers and one good D. That would be consistent with Benning's comments today. After that it gets trickier.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yah there are a lot of things that JBs done that got a 16 ton weight dropped on at the time, and that hack Travis Yost fed off  for a year, that now have turned out to be correct or like with the trades, out of his hands. 

I think if U actually look around the NHL  put yourself in his shoes, U can see that there is only so much any GM can do at a time. Nothing in the NHL has ever been achieved instantly or without hard work & Patience. 

JB from day 1 has pretty much changed the roster & direction of this team slowly but surely.

Now the really tough few years of growing pains has officially arrived. Glad he got guys like Granlund, Baer, Chaput, Sutter, Stecher, Tryamkin, Hutton, Bo, etc. all a little more ready & prepared for this inevitable time that the Canucks were facing. (post Sedin & vet era)

This last few years of slowly but surely developing Bo, Baer ,Granlund, etc. hopefully has & will speed up the passing of the torch & the life after the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, etc...

1 hour ago, PLOGUE said:

His statement regarding Markstrom is hard to believe.  Sounds more like someone trying to convince Markstrom that he will actually play, I don't buy it for a second though.  

Kids will play...except when Tanev, Gudbrandson, Skille get back..then it will be back to "stay competitive" "kids gotta earn it" "We want so & so to learn the system"

These guys are talking out their asses.  Say one thing do the opposite then claim that's what you meant.

Looks like someone's a Flames fan. :bigblush:

2 hours ago, bones said:

I can buy the Goldobin flu. Had a flu in March last year that knocked me out for 10 days. If it is actuall the flu and not just a heavy cold, it can take a bit to get going again. 

I had the same too last March I was off work for 2 weeks, my wife had to call a buddy to help carry me out of the house and had to go to the hospital for an IV. Didn't even have to wait at emerge. ..they took me right in as I couldn't even keep my head up or talk properly, ruptured my eardrum too...which took months to heal.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Canucks last two season.....Winning games?

...one of these things is not like the other

Well three things...

1, Sedins has deteriorated severely and faster than expected, without a doubt, but were still better than some of the young players coming in to the team, although probably won't be for long.

2. Injuries.

3. They have won games, not enough, but they've been in most games... 

Its been the plan to try to make the play offs, while the roster age has been reduced, and that can't be argued about. The discussion has been about the playing time of the youth, but as I stated, it has clearly been something they have agreed upon.... Its not something WD has decided himself. JB want the youth to earn their ice time...

5 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

I had the same too last March I was off work for 2 weeks, my wife had to call a buddy to help carry me out of the house and had to go to the hospital for an IV. Didn't even have to wait at emerge. ..they took me right in as I couldn't even keep my head up or talk properly, ruptured my eardrum too...which took months to heal.

I'm not a big fan of needles, but when they slipped the IV into me after a major loss of weight due to food poisoning, I asked them give me another in the other arm.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Doan is somewhat like our Edler , in that he does not to play anywhere else . Doan has more than a few occasions said he wants to stay with the desert dogs. This is problematic with moving an getting fair value returns ., as you pointed out JB is not terrible but handcuffed as are other GM's in similar situations.

The hindsight on Hammers part will never be known it was sad to see him go.

1 hour ago, hearditall said:

When u start a business & u got merchandise on the shelf for sale, Do u start out saying that we're not sure if these products are good to the customer? 

If they don't work well or sell well, do u just keep ordering more & keep carrying the product that just a few months ago u invested in?

No, U move on with something new & discount the other items until they are all gone... 

Okay, I think. :huh:

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well three things...

1, Sedins has deteriorated severely and faster than expected, without a doubt, but were still better than some of the young players coming in to the team, although probably won't be for long.

2. Injuries.

3. They have won games, not enough, but they've been in most games... 

Its been the plan to try to make the play offs, while the roster age has been reduced, and that can't be argued about. The discussion has been about the playing time of the youth, but as I stated, it has clearly been something they have agreed upon.... Its not something WD has decided himself. JB want the youth to earn their ice time...

Good point.

i mentioned over year ago that player apex slide starts at 35 an had my head knocked off on CDC for even suggesting it.

just really glad JB is now focusing on restocking the prospect pool with young players now.

Archived