The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Theoretical Draft moves for the Canucks.

As per GMJB on 1040, They're looking for a centre or PP D-Man. 

With where we stand now, The Canucks may end up top 3.

If, Theoretically Colorado gets 1st over all and the Canucks end up 3rd, There may be a chance for the Canucks to move up. 

If the Canucks trade the 3rd Overall + a D-Man to Colorado, Who's been said to be looking for defence in the draft. Arizona would hypothetically draft 2nd and are rumoured to be looking for a center as well. 

So the Canucks trade up to first to take Patrick 1st overall, Arizona would take a center, (Hirscher) leaving Colorado first pick of the defenceman litter, Possibly Liljegren

this of course Is all dependant on the Canucks actually getting 3rd in the draft lottery.

Screenshot_20170316-194156.png

Screenshot_20170316-194642.png

Screenshot_20170316-194737.png

It depends if Benning actually values the PP D-man or the Center higher. He's already commented that the top end this year isn't nearly as strong as other years, so he may not consider Patrick or Hischier to be a legit #1 center, and we already have Bo as a 1B/2A center. 

I suspect we're going to end up picking in the 3-5 range, and we're going to stand pat. Outside of the top 3, there is no real consensus as to who is #4-10. Unless we break that top 3, there is no reason to move up since there is no clear ranking and Benning can work his magic from wherever he is.

I don't think Detroit has had a defenseman like Liljegren since Rafalski, and they need defense badly right now. So if we get 3rd and Patrick and Hischier are gone I could really see them trying hard to make a deal with us. 

Some people have Liljegren dropping to 8th which may be the next Cam Fowler/Chychrun-type draft. He's a bonified future #1 defenceman and possible Norris guy. I think it really depends where we end up in the draft:

1) If we somehow end up with a top-3 pick, take Nolan or Hirschier or whoever gets left out. May not be a generational talent but if we develop him right, send him back to junior then the AHL for a stint then the NHL when he's 19-20, he'll be a good top-6 center to complement Horvat. 

2) If we pick 4-5th, idealy try to trade up with Arizona. That team has Strome, Keller and Domi. Two sure-fire top line centers in that mix, and one very good middle-6 center. They don't need to draft Nolan or Hirschier, they need a defeneman. Either try and snag one of their centers if they want to take a center in the draft, or trade up with the use of our 1st round pick + Virtanen or a young defenceman (Tanev/Sbisa/Subban/Hutton/Stecher). Hopefully 1st + Virtanen + Subban would get it done for 2nd overall --> Hirschier.

I'd much rather Hirschier or Nolan than Vilardi (a possible 2nd line center AT BEST but most likely not a top line center) + Virtanen (2nd line powerforward in the making) + Subban (fringe NHLer), whereas Arizona have no use for another star center so might as well take the quality depth. If they want defence, give them one of our many young guys.

3) If we're picking 5-8th overall, it gets tricky. If Liljegren is still on the board, snag him and hope we can trade a defenceman for a young center because trading up from that low down might be a bit hard to get into the top-3. Liljegren is probably going to go top-5 at least anyway, he's a future Karlsson type player with better defensive awareness and less offence. Future Norris guy, maybe even Hedman-esque. Every team needs someone like him to win a Cup and it'd be a shame if he drops below Vilardi and Middlestatd but there's potential. He may IMO end up going to the Las Vegas team 3rd overall.

5 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

I thought LV gets 3rd...we'd get 4th...yeah I know, screwed again...

LV gets put into the draft lottery with the same odds as the team that finished third last. So yea, If we get 3rd last, we get screwed by having one extra team with the same odds for 3rd but it's not a given. 

2 minutes ago, BenMaverick84 said:

LV gets put into the draft lottery with the same odds as the team that finished third last. So yea, If we get 3rd last, we get screwed by having one extra team with the same odds for 3rd but it's not a given. 

Thanks! I guess the only guaranteed 3rd spot they have is rounds 2-7...thanks for clearing that up mate!

Or we could pick 3rd if we get 3rd in the lottery. There will be one of those two types of players mentioned available at that point, either one of Patrick or Hischier, or one of the pretty highly rated defencemen in this draft. I doubt we trade up, although we could trade for more picks.

But I'd trade Edler and our 1st to Colorado for their 1st and 2nd, not that Colorado would bite. The other option is Sbisa (since I don't think we look to move Hutton) and Colorado probably doesn't bite at that either. I'm not sure they'd bite at either with out 1st just for their 1st.

(and before anyone says Tanev, they don't need a RHD since they have Johnson and Barrie in their top 4 already)

Doubt we see anyone move up a couple spots in the top 5.

Trading Edler to Las Vegas would be an interesting thought...if he'd be happy to waive...throw in a 2nd rounder or prospect. Edler + Virtanen + 2nd for 3rd overall pick. 

We have the 4th/5th and 3rd overall.

Trade the 3rd overall up for 2nd overall with Arizona. 3rd overall + Subban + 3rd round pick for 2nd overall (enough? probably not).

We lose our 2nd/3rd/later picks, but have the quality.

Draft Hirschier and Liljegren. Goodnight world.

Dahlen - Hirschier - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - UFA

Goldobin - Sutter - Boucher

Gaudette - Gaunce - UFA

Juolevi - Liljegren

Hutton - Stecher

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Demko

Markstrom

That team can win a Cup in their prime.

10 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Or we could pick 3rd if we get 3rd in the lottery. There will be one of those two types of players mentioned available at that point, either one of Patrick or Hischier, or one of the pretty highly rated defencemen in this draft. I doubt we trade up, although we could trade for more picks.

But I'd trade Edler and our 1st to Colorado for their 1st and 2nd, not that Colorado would bite. The other option is Sbisa (since I don't think we look to move Hutton) and Colorado probably doesn't bite at that either. I'm not sure they'd bite at either with out 1st just for their 1st.

(and before anyone says Tanev, they don't need a RHD since they have Johnson and Barrie in their top 4 already)

Doubt we see anyone move up a couple spots in the top 5.

12 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Will trade Edler and if we get the 3rd to 7th OA pick, the 2nd round pick for Colorado's 1st OA pick and Landeskog 

Edler has a NTC. And he definitely would not waive it to go to Colorado.

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Trading Edler to Las Vegas would be an interesting thought...if he'd be happy to waive...throw in a 2nd rounder or prospect. Edler + Virtanen + 2nd for 3rd overall pick. 

We have the 4th/5th and 3rd overall.

Trade the 3rd overall up for 2nd overall with Arizona. 3rd overall + Subban + 3rd round pick for 2nd overall (enough? probably not).

We lose our 2nd/3rd/later picks, but have the quality.

Draft Hirschier and Liljegren. Goodnight world.

Dahlen - Hirschier - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - UFA

Goldobin - Sutter - Boucher

Gaudette - Gaunce - UFA

Juolevi - Liljegren

Hutton - Stecher

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Demko

Markstrom

That team can win a Cup in their prime.

We could definitely trade the 3rd overall pick to ARI for the 2nd, and we wouldn't have to give that much more because the top of the draft has no consensus top 3 players.

And honestly Edler plus the 5th to Vegas for the 3rd would be enough. The issue is Edler wouldn't waive.

I like the idea though of trying some Brian Burke magic to move assets and draft picks around to get 2 top 5 picks. It would help us a lot.

Hope we don't get the luck we had last year,

going from third to fifth was lets just say (OUCH).

We need the luck of the draft lotto for a change, like Edmonton for the last few years(lucky ba$tard$).

We were all set to pick a centre or laine and got a defenseman last year,so please HOCKEY GODS,give us a bit of luck.

Over the years the Canucks have had no luck but bad luck and it changes this year.

Full speed ahead to the cup.WE ARE REALLY PASSIONATE FANS AND WANT A CUP HERE FOR GOODNESS SAKE

ALL OF B.C. DESERVE IT,

BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN SUBSIDIZING SOME OF THOSE U.S. TEAMS FOR A LONG TIME,

GET THAT BETTMAN!

OUR FAN BASE IS GETTING FED UP WITH THIS B.S.,OH NO I'M RANTING ,

BUT SOMETIMES TRUTH HURTS.

I say we trade down and pick up 6 ft 6 C Michael Rasmussen then with our second pick we trade up for 6ft 6 LW Isaac Ratcliffe

Granlund Horvat Boesser

Goldobin Sutter Dahlen

Ratcliffe Rasmussen Lockwood

MacEwan Gaudette Virtanen 

Offering either Edler (if allowed) or Tanev to move up in the Draft from a 4th or 5th seating is possible.

(Hard to think that Las Vegas would less than a 4th pick, and not be open to an offer for a top 1-2 D man.)

If we sit 2nd or 3rd,  I think we stay put, 

unless there is one player targeted, (quite possible our CBJ (2nd rnd) return for Tortarella is released to us to use.)

If we sit 6th to 10th...  the lottery is rigged again.

Archived