The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBC Arts or SFU Business

Michael Scofield

1 hour ago, samurai said:

Did you even go there?  Sounds like you dropped out.   Francesco Aquilini graduated from SFU and he does sell fries.  

Did I even go where? SFU? No...hence the joke...which I guess you missed. I went to SAIT, it's a Tech Institute (like BCIT)...hence the joke...which we have established you missed.

Just now, ABNuck said:

Did I even go where? SFU? No...hence the joke...which I guess you missed. I went to SAIT, it's a Tech Institute (like BCIT)...hence the joke...which we have established you missed.

So in other words you are talking about something you know nothing about.  That's what I didn't miss.  

12 hours ago, samurai said:

So in other words you are talking about something you know nothing about.  That's what I didn't miss.  

Correct sir...I was simply making (or rather passing on) a joke...but by all means kill the messenger (man, there's just not enough fun in the world anymore).

I guess my original point is that there's more than one school at which one can earn their MBA. And although it's quite a feather in one's cap to have a highly accredited school on the ol' CV, there's more than one way to carve out a living in the business world. As a 52 year old with not only schooling under my belt (3 different degrees) I can attest to the value of real-world business experience. A degree gets you through the door, then the real work begins. The highest I ever achieved was as a VP of U.S. Operations (Import/Export company) which was not even in the Tech Industry (so I could throw that degree in the trashbin)...it was my real world business accumen that got me that job. Currently I'm an Operations Manager in the Logistics field (again, obviously not in the Tech sector)...and again it was here that I was able to apply real-world business experience and turn a fledgling company around to a solid profit maker. Have I ever been a CEO/CFO or able to lead a nation in the Political arena? No. If that's your goal then there are far better people out there than I am...but if you're genuinely interested in the business world in general then I definitely DO know what I'm talking about.

Again though, if it was just campus life at SFU, transfer courses or the like that you were referring to, then you got me. I'll shut up now.

I won't suade you as I think whatever school anyone recommends on here will have some sort of bias depending on their own personal university experience, which may or may not end up being your experience. But what I will say is that your university experience, career, and life won't be defined by one decision you make as an 17/18 year old. You'll constantly have to face challenges and push yourself in order to achieve what you want (assuming you actually do end up wanting to be in IB), regardless of where you go for school or what specific program you do. Finance at Sauder will have the most opportunities for you to get into IB but that doesn't mean it's automatic at all if you do get in, competition is high int he field no matter where you go and at the end of the day you'll need to put in the work to achieve what you want (I know Investment Bankers from both Beedie and UBC Econ, and at the same time i know retail bankers from Sauder Finance). Same goes for the social aspect of university, you'll find it if you search for it and put yourself out there.

Long story short, although a bit cliche, my advice is to pick a path you think you will be happy with and not regret, and then work your tail off to get what you want. If plans change and life happens, at least you can be happy with your decisions and not live life thinking "what if".

And if you have strong grades, show a genuine interest in the field through extra curricular learning/activities (ie finance club, student conferences, MDA training), good volunteer/work experience, and a willingness to put yourself out there to network, I would be open to interviewing you for an IB position regardless of whether you have a business degree or econ degree.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2017 at 2:00 PM, The Vancouver Connection said:

If you want the university experience go to UBC, if you don't care and want to save $/get the commuter university experience go to SFU.

I would 100% go to UBC and try and transfer into Sauder, but that's just me. If anyone from SFU tells you they have a university experience, they're lying to you. 

Define University experience? Both are accredited universities, but if you mean campus life..I don't know if it's a school-specific issue? I went to UBC and didn't really do the whole campus spirit thing - which I do regret, but that's on me. I worked part-time at the library and I studied and hung out with friends off campus. However, I do know people who had fun at SFU (stayed in res) and had a good experience there, so I would argue that university is what you make of it, if that makes sense. 

Of course, you might have another perspective on this. Certainly if someone was part of the Greek System at UBC (which I've hard is the biggest in Canada), it's wildly different to what I experienced. 

1 hour ago, Apple Juice said:

But why waste a year trying to earn high grades for a POSSIBILITY of being able to transfer into Sauder, when you can start a Beedie where it's ALREADY a business degree? 

Beedie's finance program isn't that good and I'm looking to work in Ontario or in the States, a lot of firms from there don't recruit from Beedie. When you go into IBanking, school rep matters a lot. 

12 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

But why waste a year trying to earn high grades for a POSSIBILITY of being able to transfer into Sauder, when you can start a Beedie where it's ALREADY a business degree? 

what's one year? as a opposed to a life time of regret.

The one piece I can give people is, go to school and TAKE your time and ENJOY it, stop trying to finish in 4 years because that's what you're supposed to do, you're going to work the rest of your life anyways. 

1 hour ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

The one piece I can give people is, go to school and TAKE your time and ENJOY it, stop trying to finish in 4 years because that's what you're supposed to do, you're going to work the rest of your life anyways. 

I saw your post on the last topic, can I pm you some questions about transferring into Sauder?

7 hours ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

It's not about finishing in 4 years, it's about getting into a school that is already offering you a business degree vs trying to transfer in from a different faculty

17 hours ago, Michael Scofield said:

Beedie's finance program isn't that good and I'm looking to work in Ontario or in the States, a lot of firms from there don't recruit from Beedie. When you go into IBanking, school rep matters a lot. 

Both business schools offer similar opportunities. If you're trying to get into a highly esteemed firm, then sure school rep would matter depending on which firm. If Sauder is something that you feel would help you get to where you want to be in the next 5-10 years, then go for it.

1 hour ago, Apple Juice said:

It's not about finishing in 4 years, it's about getting into a school that is already offering you a business degree vs trying to transfer in from a different faculty

meh, based on that he could go to Kwantlen/CapU/Douglas - they all offer business degrees. 

At the end of the day his desire is to go to Sauder - work your ass off and get in.

Don't ever settle. 

8 minutes ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

meh, based on that he could go to Kwantlen/CapU/Douglas - they all offer business degrees. 

At the end of the day his desire is to go to Sauder - work your ass off and get in.

Don't ever settle. 

nope not about where you get the degree but the connections you make in business. Does UBC offer you a better chance to network? i dont know because Im not in business but dont think jobs look at whether you were in beedie or sauder, just like they dont look at your grades

Just now, DoughtysCheck said:

nope not about where you get the degree but the connections you make in business. Does UBC offer you a better chance to network? i dont know because Im not in business but dont think jobs look at whether you were in beedie or sauder, just like they dont look at your grades

I'm not disagreeing that a lot of what a business degree is depends on the person. 

But perhaps he wants to go to Sauder because its at UBC - UBC offers him something SFU doesn't? At the end of the day the comments of "dude stay at SFU business b/c you won't get into Sauder" piss me off. 

He can get into Sauder if he works hard.

Archived