The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] UFA signing

Canucks will probably want to sign a UFA forward this summer. I think a guy like Hanzal might be a good fit. He's big, kills penalties, experienced and will be worth something at future trade deadlines. If we could sign him 3years*3M or 2*4 he might be a good pickup. Good value added. Let me know who you think the Canucks should target and what they're values are this summer? 

If we do sign Hanzal I think we can trade Sutter for some extra value this summer. Also Hanzal will be a good stop gap to give us time until our next centre is ready-Draft 17or 18 or Gaudette. Trade/waive Dorsett. Gaunce to Vegas. I think Rodin goes overseas. Sbisa or Tanev or Edler(preferred but NTC) traded before expansion draft. Let Miller leave or 1-2 year 3M deal. Trade Sedins at deadline.

Next years lineup

Baer-Bo-Boeser/Goldy/Boucher

Sedins-granlund

Eriksson-Hanzal-Boucher/Goldy/Boucher

Labate-Chaput-UFA/Crammer

Juolevi-Tanev

Stetcher-Tryamkin

Hutton-Gudbranson

Sbisa(rotate in and ou with rookies)

Markstrom

Bachman

Let me know what you think. Adds some youth but also a quality Vet or two.

Just now, RKesler_17 said:

Just keep Sutter.  He's a great 3rd line player for us.  I'd be more interested in trying to acquire another Center to bridge the gap when Henrik retires.

Gotta agree with this, Sutter is great at what he does for us. I have a feeling we won't be signing any big name free agents this year. With the team finally admitting they are in rebuild mode not only will players not want to come here but those roster spots are better served if given to someone trying to prove they belong in the NHL. Basically the OP's lineup is great but leave Sutter in that third line role.

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

JB wants this club to get younger,  faster and more skilled. 

You just picked the exact opposite of these traits.

Linden and Benning said they would look at good value UFAs. This team still needs Veteran leadership as Vets are traded and retire. Guys like Hanzal help us short term and then are worth picks/prospects at trade deadlines. We are going to be at the bottom of the league next year anyways so why not trade a guy like Sutter and Sign a guy like Hanzal who does basically the same thing as Sutter. This way we get value through trading and don't have to pay anything but money for a good 3rd line C.

31 minutes ago, RKesler_17 said:

Just keep Sutter.  He's a great 3rd line player for us.  I'd be more interested in trying to acquire another Center to bridge the gap when Henrik retires.

A guy like Sutter has value to a contender this year. We are rebuilding but you won't get a good centre to replace Sedin for cheap. especially not this years UFAs. Tavares next year maybe. Moving Sutter will open a spot for Hanzal next year, give us value in picks/prospects and leave us no weaker. I see Hanzal as a good fit next year.

I would have been for signing someone like Vanek on a one year deal at a high price (5 million?) and then flipping him at the deadline if we miss the playoffs again. However, even after scoring 38 points in 48 games he barely fetched anything at the deadline. 

I really wish we would give some of our older B prospects one last kick of the can, like Grenier & Pedan. 

22 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Linden and Benning said they would look at good value UFAs. This team still needs Veteran leadership as Vets are traded and retire. Guys like Hanzal help us short term and then are worth picks/prospects at trade deadlines. We are going to be at the bottom of the league next year anyways so why not trade a guy like Sutter and Sign a guy like Hanzal who does basically the same thing as Sutter. This way we get value through trading and don't have to pay anything but money for a good 3rd line C.

And what makes you think Hanzal (or any UFA) wants to sign with a team that will be at the bottom of the league? The last few years in Arizona weren't enough so he wants to be on a bottom-feeder for 2-3 more seasons?

17 minutes ago, theilluminati said:

And what makes you think Hanzal (or any UFA) wants to sign with a team that will be at the bottom of the league? The last few years in Arizona weren't enough so he wants to be on a bottom-feeder for 2-3 more seasons?

Why did Iginla sign in Colorado? Players sign for money and then hope to be traded at deadlines to contenders

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Why did Iginla sign in Colorado? Players sign for money and then hope to be traded at deadlines to contenders

Wow...worst example you could have possibly given. The Avalanche had just won the Central and had Mackinnon, Landeskog, Duchene etc and Roy as coach and looked like they were poised to take the next step with the help of a vet like Iggy. The current Canucks have the exact opposite of the Colorado team that Iginla signed with.

3 minutes ago, theilluminati said:

Wow...worst example you could have possibly given. The Avalanche had just won the Central and had Mackinnon, Landeskog, Duchene etc and Roy as coach and looked like they were poised to take the next step with the help of a vet like Iggy. The current Canucks have the exact opposite of the Colorado team that Iginla signed with.

ok better example, look at Eriksson coming here.

On 2017-03-17 at 11:51 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Baer-Bo-Boeser/Goldy/Boucher

Exciting Jump for all 3 of the right wingers you have slotted in there.

Boeser right out of NCAA jumping into top winger role?

Goldy ok... Huge jump

Boucher from being waved by all these teams to first line for the canucks. Call Disney the next stright to VHS movie is here

Sedins-granlund

I agree reduced role. You might be handcuffing Granlund. With the season he has had this year I could see him jumping on the first line.

Eriksson-Hanzal-Boucher/Goldy/Boucher

Eriksson the best 6M spent on a 3ed line LW

Hanzal. We are soft enough. Keep Sutter. He has been playing good enough on our 3ed line.

It looks like if your not on the first line your a 3ed line winger or scratched?

Labate-Chaput-UFA/Crammer

Labate?

Chaput?

Why not Drew shore also?

Juolevi-Tanev

Another huge Jump for Juolevi.... 1st line mins doubtful

Tanev looks like eveyone is trading him and your keeping him

Stetcher-Tryamkin

No Problem

Hutton-Gudbranson

K......

Markstrom

Bachman

Really Bachman?

He has played two good games and now he is a back up goalie in the NHL

UFA Goalie Like

Chad Johnson

Darcy Kuemper

Mike Condon

Edit**

With this line up we are making a strong push for Joe Veleno.
Tank for Veleno apparently.

6 hours ago, ChampStatus said:

Exciting Jump for all 3 of the right wingers you have slotted in there.

Boeser right out of NCAA jumping into top winger role?

Goldy ok... Huge jump

Boucher from being waved by all these teams to first line for the canucks. Call Disney the next stright to VHS movie is here

I agree reduced role. You might be handcuffing Granlund. With the season he has had this year I could see him jumping on the first line.

Eriksson the best 6M spent on a 3ed line LW

Hanzal. We are soft enough. Keep Sutter. He has been playing good enough on our 3ed line.

It looks like if your not on the first line your a 3ed line winger or scratched?

Labate?

Chaput?

Why not Drew shore also?

Another huge Jump for Juolevi.... 1st line mins doubtful

Tanev looks like eveyone is trading him and your keeping him

No Problem

K......

Really Bachman?

He has played two good games and now he is a back up goalie in the NHL

UFA Goalie Like

Chad Johnson

Darcy Kuemper

Mike Condon

Edit**

With this line up we are making a strong push for Joe Veleno.
Tank for Veleno apparently.

Id like to respond thoroughly but will wait to see your lineup. assuming your not to afraid to make one and be criticized yourself

Any UFA signings this summer will pretty much be depth players and guys to round out Utica.

Adding any high priced UFA's are not going to move us any closer to making the playoffs.

They might try and find someone who replaces the Burrows factor of experience, but I would expect that to be a 2 million - 2.5 million per year type of contract. This would be a mentoring person only.

Archived