Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sugar baby watermelon

Baertschi & Granlund expectations

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

Could Granlund and be Top six forwards on Cup level teams?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

no and you could say the same for dahlen, goldobin and virtanen as well but in 1–3 years? who knows

seeing as to how the teams goal is to "rebuild" they fit in perfectly fine with the current strategy and they're both looking much better now than they did at the beginning of the year.

unless jim can flip them for significantly better players they should pretty much be untouchable imo

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes. They wouldn't be the stars obviously but would Granlund or Baertschi look out of place in any contenders top 6?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Too early to tell.

Both are trending, no probably not to all star level, to be solid NHL players. Guys like them are routinely 3rd liners on cup teams. And only 3rd line because the team, see Chicago or Wash, is so ridiculous. But they are only one level down from guys like Tanner Pearson. And could still surpass him. Both could be considered to have more skill.

Good post btw OP @Sugar baby watermelon 

The way they've both played this year is promising. There's no reason to think they won't develop further into effective top 6 players, ideally 2nd liners though. because neither have that "it factor" or flair that elite first line wingers have.

The elite winger is what we're all hoping for, not to diminish Baer or Granny, they're just not those guys. They're fricken awesome hockey players though, and I like 'em.

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Too early to tell.

Both are trending, no probably not to all star level, to be solid NHL players. Guys like them are routinely 3rd liners on cup teams. And only 3rd line because the team, see Chicago or Wash, is so ridiculous. But they are only one level down from guys like Tanner Pearson. And could still surpass him. Both could be considered to have more skill.

Good post btw OP @Sugar baby watermelon 

Thanks!  

5 minutes ago, nuck7635 said:

no and you could say the same for dahlen, goldobin and virtanen as well but in 1–3 years? who knows

seeing as to how the teams goal is to "rebuild" they fit in perfectly fine with the current strategy and they're both looking much better now than they did at the beginning of the year.

unless jim can flip them for significantly better players they should pretty much be untouchable imo

Good answer!  If these 2 didn't pan out and Shinkaruk went on to score 20 goals, Benning would be gone probably lol.  

Posted (edited)

Who has been talking about trading Grandlund and Baertschi?  Anyway, they aren't second liners on a Cup contender, but they are solid third liners on such a team.  If you liken it to 1994, they could fill the Greg Adams / Sergio Momesso roles.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

:huh: 

Really?

I'm on here quite a bit but somehow I haven't come across these posts you're talking about.

I can't remember once reading somebody who wants to vault Goldobin, Dahlén, and Virtanen ahead of everyone else and trade away Baertschi and Granlund for picks.

Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads?

But I'm glad to see some appreciation for our young players, who provide much of the light in an otherwise dark season, and who have definitely shouldered much of the weight in the second half and become major reasons (alongside our goaltending) why we stay in games and make the score respectable most nights.

I just don't see praise for Baertschi and Granlund being at a shortage here or them being underrated. Seems like most people around here are pretty high on those two guys.

Gunna have some fun with @J.R. who in this tagged post had traded one, the other 3rd line in an edit (after being reminded he forgot one)  ...  

Point is they do get forgotten in the enthusiasm of things sometimes.  Its just the nature of forums.  I've done it. More than twice. There is less reason to have limits on longer term prospects while our hopes are still highest? 

But I think its becoming consensus, yes, that these guys are digging in to be top 6 forwards for us. 

Next Naslund and Morrison or they're busts. 

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Gunna have some fun with @J.R. who in this tagged post had traded one, the other 3rd line in an edit (after being reminded he forgot one)  ...  

Point is they do get forgotten in the enthusiasm of things sometimes.  Its just the nature of forums.  I've done it. More than twice. There is less reason to have limits on longer term prospects while our hopes are still highest? 

But I think its becoming consensus, yes, that these guys are digging in to be top 6 forwards for us. 

Yeah, but I think @J.R. was talking about a future team, years down the road. In which case I probably also hope that we've drafted/developed and acquired superior players that might force some current guys (including Granlund or Baer) down the lineup or even make them expendable as potential trade chips.

But as far as next season and the immediate future goes, Granny and Baer look like solid parts of our young core. Ideally progressing even further and establishing themselves as perennial top-sixers. But if not, hopefully the next wave of youngsters is even better than the current group.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

I could see them both continuing to grow into second line players, or even first line players on our weaker offensive team. Someone's gotta play on that top line.

Grandlund has been a pleasant revelation, and Baer has taken steps forward too. Wouldn't be surprised to see either of them build on their numbers next season. They're also more established in the lineup too, I don't see prospects knocking them down the pecking order any time soon.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I like Baer, solid 2nd liner who can produce at near 1st line level. I'd trade/package him in a heart beat to get a legit 1st liner though (as per that post).

And I didn't forget Granlund, I just only posted the top 6 initially and decided to add the rest in the later edit (before you 'reminded' me FWIW ;) ). 

Edited by J.R.

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, but I think @J.R. was talking about a future team, years down the road. In which case I probably also hope that we've drafted/developed and acquired superior players that might force some current guys (including Granlund or Baer) down the lineup or even make them expendable as potential trade chips.

But as far as next season and the immediate future goes, Granny and Baer look like solid parts of our young core. Ideally progressing even further and establishing themselves as perennial top-sixers. But if not, hopefully the next wave of youngsters is even better than the current group.

Yup that was a post-Sedin 2-3+ year down the line roster.

Posted (edited)

They remind me of younger versions of Raymond and Higgins. Not bad, decent complimentary and would be great if we had the depth to make them line three players when the dust settles.

Edited by TimberWolf

1 minute ago, TimberWolf said:

They remind me of younger versions of Raymond and Higgins. Not bad, decent complimentary and would be great if we had the depth to make them line three players. 

Bang on.  Maybe in time we are good again, and have five other top six forwards to compliment Bo?  Then Baer and Granlund would be excellent third line players for us.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yup that was a post-Sedin 2-3+ year down the line roster.

:P

It was just too convenient, but yes I understood!