The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baertschi & Granlund expectations

Sugar baby watermelon

26 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Is Minny's Granny a first liner?  Our Granny might turn out to be better than his brother. Time will tell but he's closing the gap IMO.

He plays on their 2nd line, with Koivu at C and Zucker on the other wing, but it's their most productive line despite being their shutdown line.  Staal is their C1 but he's played with a lot of different wingers while the Koivu line has stayed intact since late November.  

Mikael is so creative.  Moving to wing under Torchetti and playing with Koivu helped his game.  It allowed him to be more the playmaker because Koivu is so solid defensively and gets him the puck.  Before playing at C he didn't have the puck as much because Parise is a puck hog and Granlund is defence first.  I think sometimes it's just about having the right linemates and role and players can take off.  

Just now, mll said:

He plays on their 2nd line, with Koivu at C and Zucker on the other wing, but it's their most productive line despite being their shutdown line.  Staal is their C1 but he's played with a lot of different wingers while the Koivu line has stayed intact since late November.  

Mikael is so creative.  Moving to wing under Torchetti and playing with Koivu helped his game.  It allowed him to be more the playmaker because Koivu is so solid defensively and gets him the puck.  Before playing at C he didn't have the puck as much because Parise is a puck hog and Granlund is defence first.  I think sometimes it's just about having the right linemates and role and players can take off.  

thanks mll :)

For Bear-Cheese. I think he could develop into a nice complimentary 2nd line winger. He wouldn't be the driving force of the line, but he wouldn't be a detriment either.

Granlund, too early to tell. He has nice numbers and looks good, but is also playing with Sedins, who granted, are not the players they were a few years ago...is still a coushy assignment where you're going to point up good numbers.

NHL'er for sure, top six? I unno

4 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

They remind me of younger versions of Raymond and Higgins. Not bad, decent complimentary and would be great if we had the depth to make them line three players. 

Decent comparison.

It never works completely in direct lineage; both are more puck skilled and seem to have more gusto, more smarts making plays. This bodes well. Than either Higgins or Raymond. Raymond who offered more speed than most could hope for. Higgins solid, but ultimately survived (and ultimately failed) on a fantastic work rate checking, in board battles. Was 15 lbs heavier to support this. This Higgins component, the work rate quotient, is being coached into our two as we speak though?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Do we have Crosby and Malkin?  BJ Macdonald was top six with 99.  

Could also throw Patrick Maroon in there, getting to play on McDavid's wing. Once we get a generational center, or a top 5-10 center in the world, we can throw near anybody on their wing and they will produce.

Imho, their development will depend a lot on the new coach and the style he'll demand and his patience with their development. In so many ways, they complement Bo: none of them came with the elite-separating talent and who have been written off by some people (yes, Bo as well with his skating and offense), but they've managed to keep growing and growing (maybe because they felt that this was their last chance). Virtanen is a lot more talented than them, but he's another (unfinished) story. Will Goldie or Boeser or Virtanen or Dahlen surpass them? Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

That wasn't your question. Both are capable of being top 6 on a Cup contending team depending on the surrounding pieces.

If that's the case, we better pay them like those Penguin players, because their linemates will be earning huge money.  This is a Cap era.  If Baer and Granlund are paid bigger dollars, then they will not be on a Cup team's top six.  

Just now, Alflives said:

If that's the case, we better pay them like those Penguin players, because their linemates will be earning huge money.  This is a Cap era.  If Baer and Granlund are paid bigger dollars, then they will not be on a Cup team's top six.  

Have you seen the money Baertschi and Granlund make?

By the way B.J. Mac Donald was never a top 6 player on a Cup contending team.

I can see Granny staying in the top 6 over Baer, not to knock Bear at all but Granny is really becoming good at finding ways to get the puck on net and to me anyway seems to be progressing into a really smart player. Baer could score 15-20 on the 3rd line with a better puck moving C than Sutter. 

I think it's fair to think that as our young defence improves its ability to defend and transition, their numbers could rise significantly.  

It doesn't always work out like that, but these two aren't exactly cheating to get their points either - two of the better fancy stats guys on the team IIRC?

Archived