The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baertschi & Granlund expectations

Sugar baby watermelon

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Love to get Patrick.  He sounds like a Getzlaf.  

I hate Getzlaf. No Getzlaf. No. Bad Alf. 

NH maybe? I'd actually be happy getting elite D, this time a projected PP QB. If we pick that, we can trade Tanev for a young more established C like Duchene. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

I hate Getzlaf. No Getzlaf. No. Bad Alf.  ALF SLAPPED HIMSELF RIGHT OFF HIS SCOOTER.  :towel:

NH maybe? I'd actually be happy getting elite D, this time a projected PP QB. If we pick that, we can trade Tanev for a young more established C like Duchene.

Just now, Alflives said:
3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I hate Getzlaf. No Getzlaf. No. Bad Alf.  ALF SLAPPED HIMSELF RIGHT OFF HIS SCOOTER.  :towel:

:lol: damn man! 

I'm just wondering if we can't accelerate the rebuild a bit by drafting D again and then trading some of our D depth. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do girls still do what they used to do in the 80's there, when the Flames were hot?   

No they don't. The police really cracked down on that

Your memory might be a little fuzzy on this one as it was not during the 80's but their run in 2004 that this practise really took off sorta speak.

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

:lol: damn man! 

I'm just wondering if we can't accelerate the rebuild a bit by drafting D again and then trading some of our D depth. 

That's what LA did to get Carter.   If we have Kopitar in Bo, then it's a darned good idea.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That's what LA did to get Carter.   If we have Kopitar in Bo, then it's a darned good idea.

Button is apparently going to rank this kid in the to 5, and is supposed to be a potential PP QB so..... maybe. CDC might lose its nut if Jim goes D again in the 1st round, but given the winger depth coming (Dahlen, Boeser, Goldy, Virtanen) trading for a guy like Duchene or maybe even Nylander (I'll need to put away my lawn flamingo i guess) if TO desperately wants Tanev, I think the major rebuild pieces are in place and then its a matter of development time. 

8) Cale Makar - Defense - Brooks Bandits (AJHL)

One word could be used to accurately describe Cale Makar as a hockey player: electrifying. An explosive skater and effortless puck handler, fans hold their breath when Makar has the puck and a head of steam going up the ice. Can dissect opponents while in transition, either with his sharp passing or by carrying the puck himself.

54 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

:huh: 

Really?

I'm on here quite a bit but somehow I haven't come across these posts you're talking about.

I can't remember once reading somebody who wants to vault Goldobin, Dahlén, and Virtanen ahead of everyone else and trade away Baertschi and Granlund for picks.

Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads?

But I'm glad to see some appreciation for our young players, who provide much of the light in an otherwise dark season, and who have definitely shouldered much of the weight in the second half and become major reasons (alongside our goaltending) why we stay in games and make the score respectable most nights.

I just don't see praise for Baertschi and Granlund being at a shortage here or them being underrated. Seems like most people around here are pretty high on those two guys.

This.

Baer-Bo is a lock. The only question is who they're going to play with. Right now I think Boucher is the leading candidate but Boeser has an outside chance.

Also, Granlund seems like a lock to play with the Sedins.

The 3rd line should consist of Eriksson-Sutter-Goldobin/Virtanen/Gaunce

4th line should be Dorsett-Chaput-Cramarossa/Labate/Gaunce

Of course, free agency, trades and the expansion draft could change this.

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Button is apparently going to rank this kid in the to 5, and is supposed to be a potential PP QB so..... maybe. CDC might lose its nut if Jim goes D again in the 1st round, but given the winger depth coming (Dahlen, Boeser, Goldy, Virtanen) trading for a guy like Duchene or maybe even Nylander (I'll need to put away my lawn flamingo i guess) if TO desperately wants Tanev, I think the major rebuild pieces are in place and then its a matter of development time. 

One word could be used to accurately describe Cale Makar as a hockey player: electrifying. An explosive skater and effortless puck handler, fans hold their breath when Makar has the puck and a head of steam going up the ice. Can dissect opponents while in transition, either with his sharp passing or by carrying the puck himself.

Yup.  I heard the Button interview on 1040.  He compared Maker to a young Erik Karlsson.  

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Going through the posts on here, it seems that Baertschi and Granlund are pretty underrated in CDC and everyone is all set to pencil in Dahlen, Goldobin and even Virtanen ahead of these guys next year or that they will be traded off to some other team for draft picks now that they have had really good seasons.  Both are still young, 23 & 24yrs, and this year is their 1st full year playing solid minutes, I think Benning won't be shopping them in the off-season like some ppl in here seem to think.  Both have produced above their expectations this year and their is IMO more that they are capable of doing if given the chance to grow, which they should.  

Baertschi has great chemistry with Bo so no need to mess with that, maybe next year they can find that RW to make them near unstoppable, although just the two of them are giving other teams fits.  Maybe time to change up that 1st PP unit and slide him up to see what he can do, I can see it being his bread and butter for getting points.  Looks like Erikkson would be the ideal fit next year to complement these 2, he has positive puck possession and will most likely have a bounce back year, & if given the chance to play with these 2 young bucks should help that line explode.  I don't think Virtanen is ready to make the jump, we will have to see come training camp.

Granlund in his 1st full year has 19 markers and counting, that's huge!  He has had quite a few different linemates and he is still having a positive impact, with the latest being the twins.  If he plays with the twins full time next year, who knows, 25 goals is not a reach is it?  Look at his brother, he had 3 seasons playing in Minnesota before he blew up this year, and Markus is having a great season this year, you never know what he is capable of, if anything like his brother then it's a huge win in that trade with Calgary.  

Kind of an appreciation post but one to find out what other CDC members think of these 2 and how they fit into the Canucks future.

Why do posters start threads with such over the top hyperbole?

No one said that.

Who said that?

Remember what your English teacher said, "State your case without exagerating."

19 goals for a third your player is good, not huge.

Laine has more goals than Granlund has points, 4 rookies have more Apples than Grammaw has points.   

Both players have played well this season, but lets not get carried away here.

Well if you think about it, a cup winning team should be good throughout the lineup. So is Baertschi good enough to be a 2nd line player on a cup team?

First, how do you define 2nd liner? If it as a "2nd line scorer" and not by minutes, then yes to Baertschi. 

The first and "third" line (checking other team's top players) wingers will eat up a tonne of ice time. This means the 2nd scoring line needs to be efficient. 

Baertschi is 55th in the league for points/minute. He is in the same range as Auston Matthews, Vladmir Tarasekno, and Jeff Carter. That said, his point efficiency probably drops with more minutes and tougher checking. But what it does prove is Baertschi can effectively provide secondary offence outside of top line minutes. I would say Baertschi is the prototypical second line scorer. But he is not quite good enough to be first line material. 

Now when it comes to a 2nd liner by minutes and not scoring, yes to Granlund. I don't think Granlund will score over 45 points, but he can score 30-40 while also playing in a checking role and playing big minutes against team's top lines. He isn't quite there yet. He has the skill and the speed - what he is lacking is the strength. Give him two years and he can be a very effective player. 

Baertschi, Horvat, and Granlund could make a pretty good 2nd line behind an elite first line. Only problem is our first line isn't any better. 

41 minutes ago, lmm said:

Why do posters start threads with such over the top hyperbole?

No one said that.

Who said that?

Remember what your English teacher said, "State your case without exagerating."

19 goals for a third your player is good, not huge.

Laine has more goals than Granlund has points, 4 rookies have more Apples than Grammaw has points.   

Both players have played well this season, but lets not get carried away here.

Are you my English Teacher?  haha maybe I should go and re-edit my phrasing but I don't really care to at this point, not everyone but there are a few posts I seen, I am not going to go hunting them down for you.   Maybe I should turn in my Canucks fan pass and go cry to my Mama, tell my kids, sorry guys, daddys a failure in the eyes of some Canucks fans.....  and the world keeps turning

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  I heard the Button interview on 1040.  He compared Maker to a young Erik Karlsson.  

59 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

If his middle name is "chip" he will be a great fit for Vancouver

2 hours ago, nuck7635 said:

no and you could say the same for dahlen, goldobin and virtanen as well but in 1–3 years? who knows

seeing as to how the teams goal is to "rebuild" they fit in perfectly fine with the current strategy and they're both looking much better now than they did at the beginning of the year.

unless jim can flip them for significantly better players they should pretty much be untouchable imo

Hockey people, that's who are supposed to know. These players are scrutinized well over 300 or 400 times by scouts/teams/agents in the year before the draft and after, they are usually correct in the assessments after 4 or 5 years, which takes them to 22 or so.

Apart from late growth spurts some "talents" don't improve very much. Sure for the most part there will improvement, just getting used to the NHL and confidence will enhance some players, having a very good coach and system will help a lot more, learn the system and reduce the thinking. Now that sounds bad but most so so players get caught up in paralysis by analysis, a system gets them to "don't think....DO". These players aren't usually top six skill guys. It is one reason Tortorella was able to get so much out of Kassian, he reduced what was expected of him and gave him a simply job, he put Richardson and Booth on his line to take care of back checking and being first in to forecheck.

Of the two guys named Grandlund can make more things happen without the benefit of playing with the best players on the team and he makes quicker decisions', it doesn't hurt that he is versatile as well.

Archived