The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 European UFA Skaters to Target

Seeker1

C Victor Ejdsell — BIK Karlskoga, Allsvenskan

In an attempt to rebuild the offensive core, the Canucks added Nikolay Goldobin and Jonathan Dahlen at the trade deadline. The latter has been a standout player in the Allsvenskan, Sweden’s second-tier league, but he is not the only one.

Undrafted forward Victor Ejdsell made his SHL debut in 2014-15 but failed to establish himself there. Because of that, the 21-year-old moved to BIK Karlskoga for the 2016-17 campaign and had a true breakout year. Ejdsell won the league scoring title with 25 goals and 57 points in 50 games.

What stands out the most about Ejdsell is probably his size. At 6-foot-5 and 214 pounds, he has an excellent frame. But most importantly, he has the skating ability to move around well, along with terrific puck skills and a nose for the net.

Ejdsell’s size alone probably has NHL scouts excited. If he can translate his scoring to the North American game, he could become a great player within the next few years.

D Calle Rosen — Vaxjo Lakers, SHL

Last on the list is another Swedish defenceman: Calle Rosen of the SHL Vaxjo Lakers. The oldest player on this list, Rosen is already 23 years old. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be a promising prospect.

In his second full year in the SHL, Rosen recorded six goals and 19 points in 41 games. Not outstanding numbers, but enough for a young defenceman who plays a sound defensive game as well.

In a recent interview with hockeysverige.se, Rosen talked about NHL interest, but didn’t give clubs too much hope. Here is a translation with my limited Swedish skills:

I have received signals that there are some teams who are interested. I feel like staying here in Vaxjo and would be best to develop.

“You never know how it will be next season, but I have a contract with Vaxjo another season and that’s what I focus on.

I actually haven’t thought about it too much. The focus is on Vaxjo. I want to win a national championship and doing it with Vaxjo would be fantastic. That’s what I’m focusing on now.”

http://thecanuckway.com/2017/03/17/vancouver-canucks-european-ufa-target/2/

On a serious note, there's some KHL talent possibly available this summer. Both Shipachyov and Dadonov become free agents May 1st (IIRC that's when their KHL deals expire) and there's been some chatter all year that they might look to come over to the NHL for 2017-18. Shipachyov was also attached to some Canucks rumours last year, so maybe we add another Russian to our growing contingent?

31 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well we did just give a lengthy tryout to an Irish hurler of Malaysian Chinese descent. But apparently he pissed off Trevor Linden. Something about giving away the Canucks' long guarded slrump busting trade secrets.

FTFY

:bigblush:

27 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

On a serious note, there's some KHL talent possibly available this summer. Both Shipachyov and Dadonov become free agents May 1st (IIRC that's when their KHL deals expire) and there's been some chatter all year that they might look to come over to the NHL for 2017-18. Shipachyov was also attached to some Canucks rumours last year, so maybe we add another Russian to our growing contingent?

But why look to add 28-30 year old players with no NHL experience?

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

If they can play hockey and be committed to the team, we should be chasing to get the best players available, regardless what their race is.

Just gotta point out - Canadian is not a race. Though @riffraff's post is a bit nationalist, he has a point. The soft Euro Hockey days should be grinding to a halt, hopefully.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Just gotta point out - Canadian is not a race. Though @riffraff's post is a bit nationalist, he has a point. The soft Euro Hockey days should be grinding to a halt, hopefully.

I guess Nikita didnt get the memo. 

What were they thinking takin tryamkin when they could have had a good ol Canadian boy like Brett Lernout right..........

:unsure:

How bout we just take the best player and not worry about what country he went to pre school in. 

Might as well bring the centers (Ejdsell and Shipachyov) in if we can.  No harm in free center assets when the team already needs to win by committee with Hank no longer able to carry the heavy minutes with his brother offensively.  

I know I've said in the past that we need more skill but we've got enough now with Dahlen, Goldobin, Boeser, (possible Gaudette depending on how good he really is), Baertschi and Granlund. 

This core really just needs one elite top center who I doubt we get from overseas or anywhere other than the draft/good trade, and a top defenceman, then we need some gritty forwards to replace Hansen, Burrows and what Virtanen was going to become who we should be able to target via UFA/trade or late draft picks.

Archived