The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie D needs to pipe down.

Shirotashi

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I agree with you on this..  I can not appreciate posts without logic,. Wether it be a "pro" or "con" statement, they are all better written with the rationale to create discussion.

Having said that, and read through a few other posts here Alfstonker,.   What do you think would have happened if Tryamkin would have gone after Marchand the other night?  

Wether it was a hard hit, or dropped mitts,.   I really think it would not have been good..  I don't know if Desjardins was actually thinking about an outcome when he made that statement.

As I said above we don't know Willie even meant "fighting" not directly targeting him anyway. Could he not have meant subjecting him to the kind of treatment Benn got prior to the fight or even what Stetcher had to put up with against the Bruins and last night.

For years these boards have complained about guys like Ferland and moaning about not standing up to some of the bully teams. Well now we have a guy who can legally tattoo guys into the boards and back it up if required.

He did it against the Stars and all Willie is saying is it has to be a consistent trait to his game if it is going to be of value to the team.

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe the Oilers also figured we were an easy mark (which we certainly are at times) and were looking past us. That seems to happen to good teams frequently at this time of year.

Desjardins has the team working hard but that's not enough for an NHL coach. He has to make adjustments and put players in the best possible position to succeed based on that hard work.

Hearing Willie fans talk our team is complete garbage that would never win a game without his coaching brilliance. I think that is overstating his positive impact a lot. There are not many NHL coaches where you can consistently see that their decisions directly led to losses. Willie is a coach where we see that all the time though. 

Give this team to a good tactical coach that can look past entitlement of vets/plugs and make in game and strategic adjustments and I bet we are a playoff team this year. We have some good young players that need to grow into bigger roles because those players aren't coming through trades or free agency. We need a good portion of our core to be home grown. 

Getting them to work hard is only one part. Getting them to make a positive difference by letting them play the game they are designed to play is effective coaching. Sticking to failed strategies and deployment is ineffective coaching.

“I found out that if you are going to win games, you had better be ready to adapt.”
– Scotty Bowman, Hockey

willie D has difficulty here.  He has his idea, plan, strategy, system, and cannot see when adaptation is needed.  "Coaches don't win games, they lose them". (Unknown)

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe the Oilers also figured we were an easy mark (which we certainly are at times) and were looking past us. That seems to happen to good teams frequently at this time of year.

Desjardins has the team working hard but that's not enough for an NHL coach. He has to make adjustments and put players in the best possible position to succeed based on that hard work.

Hearing Willie fans talk our team is complete garbage that would never win a game without his coaching brilliance. I think that is overstating his positive impact a lot. There are not many NHL coaches where you can consistently see that their decisions directly led to losses. Willie is a coach where we see that all the time though. 

Give this team to a good tactical coach that can look past entitlement of vets/plugs and make in game and strategic adjustments and I bet we are a playoff team this year. We have some good young players that need to grow into bigger roles because those players aren't coming through trades or free agency. We need a good portion of our core to be home grown. 

Getting them to work hard is only one part. Getting them to make a positive difference by letting them play the game they are designed to play is effective coaching. Sticking to failed strategies and deployment is ineffective coaching.

33 hits to 14 doesn't justify that statement.

I'm sorry the rest of your post has no relevance in fact. It is just more of the same guff produced by the media. If you can look at the players at WD's disposal , look at how well the young players are doing and come out with tripe like that then we will agree to differ.

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

33 hits to 14 doesn't justify that statement.

I'm sorry the rest of your post has no relevance in fact. It is just more of the same guff produced by the media. If you can look at the players at WD's disposal , look at how well the young players are doing and come out with tripe like that then we will agree to differ.

What does hitting have to do with it? We are an easy mark because opposing coaches know they are going to get the matchups they want even when they are on the road, the fact that we cannot sustain a puck pressure game for a full 60 minutes and eventually start sitting back more allowing them time and space, and that we simply don't take advantage of power plays at all to keep other teams honest. Other teams know they can be aggressive and eventually will crack the goaltending wall we rely on. 

A lot of that is coaching by tge way.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

“I found out that if you are going to win games, you had better be ready to adapt.”
– Scotty Bowman, Hockey

willie D has difficulty here.  He has his idea, plan, strategy, system, and cannot see when adaptation is needed.  "Coaches don't win games, they lose them". (Unknown)

This

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

After last night's Coilers game, Willie D was asked how his kid line, centred by Bo played.  Even though they were CLEARLY our best line, Willie wouldn't say anything positive about them.  Is Willie pushing back against JB's (play the young guys) directive, by saying these types of things in the media?  And how come Boucher, one of the few guys who actually might score, again gets less icetime and opportunity than Megna?  

I saw that too Alf..   if Desjardins wants to use Megna that much in a game,. Why not give him an assignment?.. and develop him into a role?

Megna IS a terrific skater without a cause.. because he has been given none,  and this is what we see.

IF I was WD ,     In the Boston game I would have given Megna the challenge of marking Marchand, for at least a period and a half just to see if it was a promising set up.

In the Oilers game,  yes, pin him with McDavid, and if that wasn't working, Eberle..

The point I'm making is I think there is a job for Megna, a strong one that focuses him on his strength.. and it may be that tight checking role.

Then that obviously leaves the room for Boucher to his strength with a good passing line as the shooter.

i just don't see any game plan from Desjardins for anybody,   other than play a hard 200' game.

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I saw that too Alf..   if Desjardins wants to use Megna that much in a game,. Why not give him an assignment?.. and develop him into a role?

Megna IS a terrific skater without a cause.. because he has been given none,  and this is what we see.

IF I was WD ,     In the Boston game I would have given Megna the challenge of marking Marchand, for at least a period and a half just to see if it was a promising set up.

In the Oilers game,  yes, pin him with McDavid, and if that wasn't working, Eberle..

The point I'm making is I think there is a job for Megna, a strong one that focuses him on his strength.. and it may be that tight checking role.

Then that obviously leaves the room for Boucher to his strength with a good passing line as the shooter.

i just don't see any game plan from Desjardins for anybody,   other than play a hard 200' game.

Excellent post SS.  Great coaches envision the player's ceiling and then coach them to get there.  The way Megna can skate, he certainly could be a really good match-up checker.  The kid is clearly not a point producer or scorer.  Now Boucher, who is a scorer, ugggh.  Just frustrating all around.  I really don't want Willie here, when a lot more of the young guys come along, like Boeser, Juiolevi, Gaudette, and Jake (again). 

57 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is a huge pet peeve of mine with Desjardins. When a player like Boucher plays well he cannot acknowledge it. That's stubbornness considering he clearly believes guys like that can't do the job. So when they do he can't acknowledge it. 

When the young kids lines play well he almost almost always has to deflect individual praise and put it on his faves too. "I thought the Sedins played well too" or "The whole team played well" etc.

It would be easy to just say, "Yes Boucher had a great game I want to see him play like that every game" or "Yes the kids played strong and carried the offensive play for us, we need them to do so on a nightly basis."

Both of these allow him his necessary criticism of their consistency while also recognizing they did a good job in that game. Far more effective than what he usually does.

Delicious ironing there wallstreet.  Or maybe it's not irony, maybe its hypocrisy. You and your Heman Willie haters club are hundreds of posts in, blasting Willie for saying this about Trammer yet you want him to use this strategy on somebody else.. as always when it's convenient for your narrative you will spin things the way you want.

2 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Delicious ironing there wallstreet.  Or maybe it's not irony, maybe its hypocrisy. You and your Heman Willie haters club are hundreds of posts in, blasting Willie for saying this about Trammer yet you want him to use this strategy on somebody else.. as always when it's convenient for your narrative you will spin things the way you want.

Did Willie say that stuff about Tryamkin?  It would be easy to just say, "Yes Boucher had a great game I want to see him play like that every game" or "Yes the kids played strong and carried the offensive play for us, we need them to do so on a nightly basis."

Where did you hear Willie say that, because that's not what I heard.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Excellent post SS.  Great coaches envision the player's ceiling and then coach them to get there.  The way Megna can skate, he certainly could be a really good match-up checker.  The kid is clearly not a point producer or scorer.  Now Boucher, who is a scorer, ugggh.  Just frustrating all around.  I really don't want Willie here, when a lot more of the young guys come along, like Boeser, Juiolevi, Gaudette, and Jake (again). 

It seems inevitable that Desjardins time here will expire, I can not see an extension to his contract, even if he he Coached all of the 2017-18 season.

what seems more logical is to let TGreen finish this season with Utica.. hopeful a strong playoff run that we can help stack with the return of players like Guance, LaBate, Chaput, Bachman and additions like Goldobrin and possibly Boeser.

I believe that the Canucks originally wanted to sign WDesjardins to a 3 year contract.. it was WD pushing for a 4th..  to me that signals his term by with the Canucks would be evaluated for the next phase of the re-build at the 3 year mark.

I think we see TGreen set up to go behind the Canucks bench very soon after the Canucks and Comets finish this season, and before the Draft this year.

My Christmas wish, which I hope to get before Christmas..  is to convince G Gallant to come on board as an assistant.. as long as Green is comfortable with that.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

It seems inevitable that Desjardins time here will expire, I can not see an extension to his contract, even if he he Coached all of the 2017-18 season.

what seems more logical is to let TGreen finish this season with Utica.. hopeful a strong playoff run that we can help stack with the return of players like Guance, LaBate, Chaput, Bachman and additions like Goldobrin and possibly Boeser.

I believe that the Canucks originally wanted to sign WDesjardins to a 3 year contract.. it was WD pushing for a 4th..  to me that signals his term by with the Canucks would be evaluated for the next phase of the re-build at the 3 year mark.

I think we see TGreen set up to go behind the Canucks bench very soon after the Canucks and Comets finish this season, and before the Draft this year.

My Christmas wish, which I hope to get before Christmas..  is to convince G Gallant to come on board as an assistant.. as long as Green is comfortable with that.

Much like Crow and other experienced coaches become assistants.  Makes excellent sense.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did Willie say that stuff about Tryamkin?  It would be easy to just say, "Yes Boucher had a great game I want to see him play like that every game" or "Yes the kids played strong and carried the offensive play for us, we need them to do so on a nightly basis."

You hear what you want to hear so you can stir the pot.  We know your shtick, you ain't fooling anybody 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I was saying that's a better way to frame it assuming he must always criticize the consistency of a young player (which he cannot seem to give any press conference without doing).

That is a far more positive approach to send the message than saying a young players inconsistency cost you a win imo.

21 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

You hear what you want to hear so you can stir the pot.  We know your shtick, you ain't fooling anybody 

Where did Willie say Tryamkin had a great game?  I don't remember him saying that.  I don't mind digging, but I can't find it.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Where did Willie say Tryamkin had a great game?  I don't remember him saying that.  I don't mind digging, but I can't find it.

After taking a question from the media, a question of positivity about Tryamkin, Desjardins turned it into negativity, questioning Nik's conditioning. Keep in mind, this was Nik's second game in 3 nights, after returning from what was a terrible battle with the mumps for 3 weeks.

https://www.nhl.com/video/c-50464703 

Archived