The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie D needs to pipe down.

Shirotashi

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Based on.....speculation?

Largely, yes. I've seen/heard quotes mostly in the media that Gillis wanted to rebuild or at least retool that summer. It would make a lot of sense as well as to why he was fired and why the situation seemed so strained leading up to his firing.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks, with or without Kesler, were manhandled by the Kings. It wasn't really close.

That has to be the reason. I don't think Linden or Benning will make a move to assuage anyone's feelings. They have applied strategy in their moves up to this point. To abandon it would be querulous and perilous.

They have to stay the course they have laid out... what ever anybody says. Otherwise we will be going nowhere.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Largely, yes. I've seen/heard quotes mostly in the media that Gillis wanted to rebuild or at least retool that summer.

Media.....They don't speculate at all....

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

It would make a lot of sense as well as to why he was fired and why the situation seemed so strained leading up to his firing.

He was fired because of the throatee. Nothing more.

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

Gillis apparently, actually wanted a rebuild and that's one of the (many) things that got him fired. 

2012 we'd just won our 2nd President's trophy and if it weren't for a beaten up Kesler and Duncan Keith's elbow (and likely some Stanley Cup Final hangover), we could easily have gone on another deep run.

As for Willie D piping down, IMO it's the fan base who could use a dose of STFU. If management feels there's a better coach available this summer, by all means they should and likely will go after them and attempt to hire them. If it's just a lateral move of firing for the sake of firing and to quell the rabid torch and pitchfork crowd, I'd be disappointed. Just let them do their jobs.

We're a sub-par, rebuilding team with a crap ton of injuries and illness and very little ready , top level youth (particularly at forward) to plug in up to this point. No coach was going to make that in to a consistent playoff team during this period without a heavy does of luck and health. All the nit-picking over deployment etc is largely just noise (an lacking context. And no, that's not an endorsement of his coaching or especially his ability to strategize. He has the team competing hard for each other and the kids we do have are largely developing well. That's all that really matters right now.

He hasn't had a McDavid, Mathews or the like to pop in to the lineup and make him look better than he is. That's hardly a fault. That's a symptom of our rebuild. That's going to start to change next year and the year following but it's still likely not going to be night and day and I'd not be surprised to see guys like Boeser etc to still be in Utica next year either. Is CDC going to re-light the torches if a new coach has plugs playing in Vancouver while Boeser et al are lighting up the AHL? Because that's a very real (and IMO prudent and likely) possibility folks.

This. Plus, Willie's main strength, as perceived by management, was his proven ability to develop young players...the right way. I don't think there is any doubt that he has succeeded in that area! Look how Bo has grown under his tutelage. Also what an amazing job he has done with both Baertchie and Granlund! Both were reclamation projects, and both of them have reclaimed their abilities with his coaching. 

Does he have weaknesses? Of course, like every coach. But, given the state of this franchise, their number one need in the coach is the ability to develop young talent. And that's what Willie gives them. Hopefully, he will be back next year to begin training the new crop of young talent!

5 hours ago, Orcasfan said:

This. Plus, Willie's main strength, as perceived by management, was his proven ability to develop young players...the right way. I don't think there is any doubt that he has succeeded in that area! Look how Bo has grown under his tutelage. Also what an amazing job he has done with both Baertchie and Granlund! Both were reclamation projects, and both of them have reclaimed their abilities with his coaching. 

Does he have weaknesses? Of course, like every coach. But, given the state of this franchise, their number one need in the coach is the ability to develop young talent. And that's what Willie gives them. Hopefully, he will be back next year to begin training the new crop of young talent!

I agree whole heartedly. The team Willie has in front of him could never win anything no matter who is coaching them or what lines you make out of them. They just aren't good. To the point of OP where Willie gave Tryamkin a hard time, I'm glad he did! The Canucks lost and everyone thinks Willie should be nice to Tryamkin and pump his tires? Not a chance. What Willie did was bring him down to Earth and let everyone know that a few good plays don't mean squat when you are also making too many mistakes and when the team keeps losing.

Nobody deserves to have their tires pumped except Miller and Bachman right now. Those two have been peppered night in and night out for the entire season, with terrible defensive support.

Willie deserves a chance with a good team in front of him. If the Canucks ditch him and he gets picked up by a decent team, I'm willing to bet he makes a run with said team.

Has there ever been a coach that CDC doesn't hate after a couple of years on the bench?  Just curious.  Almost every coach we have had it is the same thing over and over again with the hatred.  Fire Av threads, Fire Torts threads and now Fire Willie threads.  I can guarantee that after Travis Greene is hired there will be Fire Greene threads within a few years.  

I think that's just the way it is on here.  

37 minutes ago, DooBie604 said:

Has there ever been a coach that CDC doesn't hate after a couple of years on the bench?  Just curious.  Almost every coach we have had it is the same thing over and over again with the hatred.  Fire Av threads, Fire Torts threads and now Fire Willie threads.  I can guarantee that after Travis Greene is hired there will be Fire Greene threads within a few years.  

I think that's just the way it is on here.  

Pat Quinn, he stepped down before the hate!

On 3/22/2017 at 9:51 AM, J.R. said:

Bingo. And if I've said it once I've said it a bunch of times on here, that was the time to go full rebuild.

We'd just drafted Horvat, and the next year was Ekblad/Reinhart/Draisaitl, followed by McDavid/Eichel (and don't forget Strome/Marner plus Hanafin/Provorov/Werenski), and finally Matthews/Laine. 2015 in particular, but combined with the 2014 and 2016 draft would have kick started our retool significantly without even counting any additional picks we might have gotten from trading away core players.

Imagine us getting Reinhart (the rumoured pick that Benning was looking to trade up for), one of the three defenceman in 2014 at least if we didn't somehow end up in the McDavid/Eichel race, and then one of Matthews or Laine? Compare that to Virtanen, Boeser (I know we love him here, but c'mon) and Juolevi and we'd have three prospects already playing for us at least this year at a reasonable if not high level.

Imagine that and what our lineup could be (I almost can't bear to type it):

Sedin Sedin Laine

Baertschi Horvat Reinhart

Granlund McCann Goldobin

Boucher Gaunce LaBate

Shore

Edler Tanev

Hanafin Sbisa

Hutton Tryamkin

Biega

And that's without any of the 3 (4 including Eichel) 1st overall picks in the last three drafts. Add in Ekblad, McDavid and Matthews? Ugh.

On 3/22/2017 at 10:04 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

I heard the rumours too, that Gillis wanted to tear it down after failing in 2012 but was blocked by ownership as they wanted to push for playoffs and more revenue again. I'm sure it was driven by wanting to win, and after 2011 who could blame them, but the 2013/14 season was the time to start the rebuild and be at the bottom for 2-3 years. We'd already be back in the running for the playoffs and then potentially competing at a high level if even two of those drafts went our way (ideally the McDavid/Matthews drafts) within the next 2-3 years considering the other support players we've already acquired.

Archived